Plate & screw removal from broken wrist

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi, for anybody out there who has broken their wrist resulting in plate & screws being inserted. After 10 months of intense physio I am still unable to bend my wrist forward or backwards & can only move a few fingers but cannot make a fist.

?I am due for an op tomorrow to have the plate & screws removed & wondered if anybody else has gone through this & what was the outcome.

I am extremely nervous as this will be done by local anaesthetic.

?I was told to prepare myself for a lot of pain once the nerve block for my arm wears off. However, if anybody found this op a great relief & experienced much more movement after intense physio again I would appreciate any info or advice please.

Regards

2 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi. I broke my left wrist June 2017. Ended up with a plate and 6 screws. I feel I'm very lucky as I have got really good movement and use of hand. My problem was that 2 of the screws were too long and were causing inflammation of the tendon. Not unbearable and I could live with the niggling constant pain but was told there was a risk of the tendon rupturing!! Scary! 

So I went back into surgery today to have metalwork removed. At the moment I'm feeling very optimistic but time will tell as I expect the drugs are masking any pain. Just hope this is the end of it all.

• Posted

MrsGibbo - Good luck, hope the surgery went well.  Please keep us posted. This sounds exactly like my situation except I broke mine in January 2018.  Looking at surgery to remove the hardware at the end of the year.  Would like to keep up with how your recovery goes.  I've  been told the surgery is much easier and rehab much shorter.  As always, I am skeptical.

• Posted

All went very smoothly. Home a few hours after operation. All metalwork removed according to plan. Since being home I haven’t needed to take any painkillers. The pain from the inflamed tendon has gone. Sore wound but easily managed. Very happy at the moment. Been told not to lift anything heavy and to take it easy for a couple of weeks. Seeing surgeon again in June. Fingers crossed.  
    • Posted

Wow!  That sounds very encouraging!  Glad it went well and so happy you don't need the painkillers.   I'll be following your progress.  Good Luck!

• Posted

This is exactly what happened to me, plate help the wrist heal, then niggling pain and painkillers until inwent back and was told the plate was sawing through the tendons. After plate was out less pain straight away. Has been about 7 months now, have been doing execrise in the gym to help push the flexibilty and have gone from being almost unable to bend the wrist to being able to bend enough to do a normal pushup on the ground
  • Posted

I thought that it was getting better, then I wake up in the morning with sharp pains in my wrist joint and on the back side where the plate was put. I have to wait until October to have the plate removed. Has anyone been told they need to wait a year before the plate can be removed?

• Posted

No, my plate was removed after around 8/9 months. Decision was based on plate damaging the tendons.
    • Posted

I was told to wait for atleast an year to get them removed only if I wish to do so. So far (3 months approx) there were no side effects others from plate/screws otherthan tightness and im still working on flexibility.
    • Posted

I was told it depends on how well the bone has healed and bone density.  My surgeon wants it pretty solid to avoid additional breaks since the bone will be weaker at the screw holes until they fill in.  I was told it would be at least 10 months for me (it's been 4 1/2) but he is monitoring my healing.

• Posted

My surgeon wanted to wait until nearly a year. I had a CT scan so he could check on the healing. He decided to go ahead at 11 months as he was concerned the screws  could make the tendon rupture!! 

A week after removal and the original pain has gone. Wrist is still a little sore and I am being very careful not to put too much stain on it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.