please assist really feel alone and confused

Posted , 3 users are following.

tasana 55177

Greetings all. I was diagnosed with sinus thrombosis 3 months ago. It started with server headache going into my neck. Was firstly mis diagnosed by my GP as migraine causing spasms in my neck. By the 5rh day I got my first seizure in the evening at around 8om and another 2 thereafter. That's when further test were done and I was diagnosed. I have alot of fear regarding seizures am in Phnyton 100mg x 3 tablets a day and Keppra 250mg at night and 250mg Morning. Please advise anyone with this condition did the seizures stop once the clot dissolved. I take Warfrin as well. Please help

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I was diagnosed with superior sagittal sinus thrombosis 6 months ago. It started with a headache then I had a seizure and landed in the hospital. Mri showed the clot. I was put on 500 MG twice a day.. never had a second seizure. As long as you take your seizure meds you should be ok.. I'm still on keppra, my clot has dissolved though and I'm stopping warfarin next week. Next month hopefully I will be stopping keppra. My Nuerologist wants to do a eeg to test my risk for seizures.

• Posted

Hi Melani thanks for the reply. Have you had another MRI done if so the machine they using is it very noisy, heard loud sounds is no advisable for seizures, sorry i'm just so scared of getting anymore its just so scarey. Do you get any strange sensations in your body as well as muscle pain, tingling sensation, sever weakness ?

• Posted

Yes I had a second mri, it's not to noisy they give you ear plugs to put in your ears. Also a radiologist is watching from another room.. as for being scared of seizures, I was the exact same way! It was so bad that I was scared to be by myself, I'm a stay at home mom and my son is 3 so I was terrified of being home alone with him but what I can say is that with time it gets better! As time goes on you will get better. Yes I have alottttt of side effects from the keppra. Drowsiness, light headed, headache, anxiety, mood swings, muscle twitches. It's so bad I can't wait to come off and live my normal life again...

• Posted

I really feel alot better being on this forum, its just that it allĀ  happened so sudden regarding this illness and I really felt so alone, My mum has me under a psychiatrist she monitors the seizure side of things meds and guidance and then my physian the medical side. I havent visited a neurologist but my mum has made contact with 2 and both advised definetly no surgery and it has to dissolve. Im on blood pressure meds as well as pain meds. Its just I have also noticed weight gain which really saddens me not sure which meds is doing this the seizure or warfrin ? currently my INR is 2.6 I am now doing blood tests every two weeks.We continue to pray for full recovery.
    • Posted

Hi Melanie,

Hope you feeling better ? Please advise do you watch television as i'm afraid to watch due to having had the seizures. Has your Dr advised when he will take you off the seizure meds ? Have you had another eeg?You lucky your recovery is moving really well for you. Did warfrin make you gain any weight I cant understand where my weight gain is suddenly coming from ? Sorry for all the questions

• Posted

Hi, yes I'm feeling better. Please try to hang in there. Things will get better. It's very traumatizing after having the seizure. I was scared everyday for about 4 months after having my seizure. I still get scared here and there even now. But to answer your question, yes i watch TV without a problem. Yes I had a eeg back in April (2 months after being diagnosed) and it was still showing signs of a possible seizure so my doc kept me on keppra. I have an appointment next week with him so he could send me to get another eeg done then if that comes back normal he will start to take me off the meds. Warfarin did not make me gain weight, I actually lost weight ever since I guess because of stress and anxiety. But if you look up keppra side effects, weight gain is one of them. Don't hesitate to ask any questions. I'm here to help smile

• Posted

Hi Melanie hope you feeling well? How is your condition? Have you had another eeg? If so was there any seizure activity or are you healed? Are you still taking Keppra? Visited my physician yesterday he refused to retest me now it's been 5.5 months says I need to get stronger physiologically and emotionally and he feels I have a lot of fear and anxiety. I have only just reduced on pain meds. So I may have another MRI done in November. His worried if he does the MRI and the clot hasn't fully dissolved I may be disheartened so I will wait for November. However I am having an eeg done next Thursday pray it's Clear as the seizure fear doesn't seem to get better. Wishing you all the best.

• Posted

Hi I'm feeling ok, how are you? Yes I had a eeg 2 weeks ago and it came back normal. I spoke with my Nuerologist and he told me I should say on the keppra until about December when I go see him again. I still get anxiety also but I find that keeping busy helps me alot. Are you still getting headaches or anthing?

• Posted

Hi Melanie how are you? I do sometimes get headaches but not that bad anymore I manage them with Panado which is a pain killer over the counter. Im going for an eeg today I'm really nervous as that is the one thing I would like to see a normal result as you know I just cannot face seizures I'm honestly terrified. My physician says this will give him an idea of what happening in my brain regarding my recovery. He only wants an MRI done next month says I need to become stronger physiologically incase the clot hasn't fully dissolved. This condition is really a long healing process. You truly blessed to have recovered and all your test results normal within your time of healing.

• Posted

Hi Melanie had the eeg done and sadly there is still seizure activity it was very difficult for me to accept had a very sad day. How long after your last MRI did your neurologicalist wait to do an eeg? Did you have to stop your seizure meds in order to have the eeg done. The gentleman doing my eeg suggested I stop both phenyton and keepra for 24 hours I refused told him the fear I have I'm not comfortable. My Phychiatrist said it's fine I don't need to stop the meds to perform the test. I really wish this was all behind me.......

• Posted

Don't be so sad! When I had my first eeg done back in April it was still showing seizure activity. That was 3 months after my seizure. I know the fear of seizures, but just know that as long as toy are on meds for it you won't have another seizure. I know it won't take your fear away but please try to find some relief.. at least you are on meds for it. I had my first eeg done in April which showed seizure activity so my doctor said wait until Sept to do another one. So I got one done last month and it came back normal. No seizure activity. But my doc still has me on the keppra just to be safe. He wants me on for another 3 months. I know it's very scary, please try to take it easy. Your brain is still trying to recover from the trauma. Everything is going to be ok.. I have very bad anxiety, it's not easy but we have to find a way to get through it. I'm 22 years old and I have a 3 year old son that needs me so I fight everyday to get stronger. Please believe me that it gets better!!!! Just let your body heal, you will get better love

• Posted

Thank you for your words of encouragement. May the Lord continue to bless you with healing be blessed take care
    • Posted

Hi Melanie I'm going for my MRI tomorrow I'm really nervous and have anxiety I pray the results are good. Hope all is good your side?

• Posted

Good luck on your mri, how long has it been since you got diagnosed? I hope and pray everything goes well! Try to stay calm and just hope for the best
    • Posted

Hi Melanie trust you well? I went for the MRI on Tuesday it was very nerve wrecking but managed in the end... Got my results today the clot has gone i truly feel blessed and relieved. I do have a bit of scar tissue from the hemorrhage in my brain. The time I was fell ill was the end of April with the serve headaches I was only diagnosed on the 6th May, there was some bleeding in the brain as well as the clot. I'm not sure if anyone on this forum has had their results show some scar tissue from the trauma in the brain. Would like to hear their opinions....... I'm not sure how long it will take for the seizure activity to clear though as the last eeg done last week showed an improvement but not cleared. I really am anxious for that side to be cleared and come off all the seizure meds, phenyton and Keppra is a bit much. Did your MRI show any scar tissue?

• Posted

Thank god your clot went away!! My mri did not show any scar tissue. I didn't have any bleeding in the brain. Was your mri with contrast or without?

• Posted

Mine wasn't with contrast. I wonder if the contrast would of showed more then without contrast

• Posted

from what I understood when they injected the contrast is that it's important for them to complete part of the MRI test as they check every part of the brain. Did you ever query why they did not use the contrast?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.