Please can anyone help?

Posted , 5 users are following.

OMG, can anyone help? My poor bowel has gone back in to spasm, but nobody has suggested an antispasmodic, a liquid one. I am already taking Fybogel twice a day but only got told about this on Friday

Oh help, what on earth can i do or take, the doctor has suggested buscopan but their tablets, can you crush or get a liquid? This feels dreadful. My sister has panicked me today because she says i drink too little liquid. Do you know what fruit i could try as they were all pretty much stripped when i did the fodmap diet years back. I just want the pain to stop and my bowel not to hurt! Where would i get a liquid antispasmodic from? Boots?

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Buscopan are very small and easy to swallow; I have great trouble swallowing tablets but I can manage Buscopan. Most tablets I find are too hard and big. With these tablets, I soak them in water to soften them and this helps the tablet to go down. Take a full glass of water too. This will make tablets far easier to swallow. Try these solutions and you may find it works for you too. I find crushing tablets causes my throat to spasm more because it has to deal with several bits of the tablet rather than just one. Buscopan is also very mild.You can get liquid IBS medicines in Boots.

• Posted

Thanks Pippa, ok thought someone on here would know what to do.

• Posted

I find Buscopan very easy to swallow when its bad I take the maximum dose but I find a tens machine really helps I wouldn't be able to cope with the pain without it. Hope it passes quickly

• Posted

My pain is in remission and I haven't needed Buscopan for a while.

• Posted

Hi Pippa, j can't thank you enough, my own doctor! That can be your job to help people on the Autistic spectrum to understand doctors speak and medication. I will try what you said i think. I have just discovered you can crush buscopan or eat it in bread or something. I need to have something the pain is the worse bit, but without support i would have had no idea what to try!

• Posted

Hi Shelia, apologies for butting in but how did you get your tens machine?

• Posted

But how what do you do for a bunged up bowel. What fruit do you have? I'm struggling!

• Posted

I tried prune juice and oranges and this got my bowel working.

• Posted

Thanks Pippa but i hate prunes and because they're now indicating i could well have gastritis i now have citrus fruit out of my diet too! They're all guessing what this is. I bought some water melon. I am currently really cross with my sister, she made me miss an out of hours appointment today because she was running late seeing my mum. I am clearly not well, i need professional help but you did more in 1 message than several doctors appointments. What part of pain relief and i can't take swallowable tablets do my doctors not get? Also paracetamol makes me sick, physically, it's like trying to get through to concrete. I am starting to get just a HUGE amount of anger over this. I have been like this for weeks. I feel defeated and deflated by IBS and my doctors all together. They don't listen at my doctor's any more. Grrrr😠😡🤒

• Posted

I wouldn't take anything out of your diet until you get a firm diagnosis of gastritis. Only eliminate things from your diet if they are causing symptoms. My doctor told me to eliminate oranges from my diet purely on guesswork to see if that was the cause of my pain. Cutting out oranges made me worse, so I made my own decision to go back on them and I started to feel better! I have learned a lot by researching the conditions people talk about here to give me better knowledge.

We were discussing at my Asperger group on Friday the problems autistic people have when talking to officials and getting them to understand us. One member is working with the Jobcentre to help job advisors tailor their services to our needs. It certainly needs done with the NHS.

• Posted

Again my dietitian's suggestion! I have now defied everyone and taken to putting more fruit in my diet. My dietitian even suggested eating fish, hello i'm veggie and have been for over 30 years. Don't talk to me about officials and trust, i just scream at them. They make me feel like utter rubbish. I was diagnosed with Dyspraxia 10 years back, i may not have a diagnosis of autism or anything on the spectrum but my family are convinced i have it.i prefer things black and white to fit neat little boxes, to be finished off, to have things tidy, but have no sense of direction, confuse information and instructions frequently, then through stress i struggle to talk. I can join your group?

• Posted

I bought it from Tesco but you can get one from most pharmacists .when i go away i always take it with me

• Posted

These symptoms are linked to dyspraxia but also to autism. Both conditions tend to overlap along with dyslexia. I am dyspraxic too. I have the same problems with comprehension, I confuse information/instructions and have a poor sense of direction. We have a closed autism facebook group which people who believe themselves to be autistic or who have a diagnosis can join.

• Posted

Often we tend to have better suggestions than our doctors. Our doctor kept trying to get my dad to use one of their dieticians to help my mum despite the fact he had years of experience in tailoring a balanced diet to her needs. The hospital dietician had no idea what worked for my mum and she wouldn't touch their food which was pretty awful anyway. My dad had to tell them that he had far greater experience than they did with my mum.

• Posted

Where do you live? I want to meet you, i totally understand you. Not many people understand me, that's why i only have 2 friends, really reliable friends even now.

• Posted

Ooph bit of a distance but never mind! I'll have to come to see you anyway.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.