please can you give me actual experieces of masupialization?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm booked to have this surgery in September but am still really worried about it!

my cyst doesn't hurt or bother me at all at the moment! Could you tell me your experiences of this operation from start to finish healing?

how sore was it? When were you able to drive after? Where u able to carry on as normal after?

I'm worried as I have 2 young children and I'm childminding! I am having the opp on a Fri and have the Monday off but I have to get back to work on the tues and be able to drive for school pick ups :o(

also, was all your stitches inside your lady bits? Did it look different from the outside? If that makes sense?

many thanks for all your help! I'd really appreciate all the details you can give me!

0 likes, 76 replies

76 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Debbie, 

Glad to be of help! Some of the things I'd read on the internet beforehand had me worried so wanted to be able to share a positive experience. I had my op at the Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital, great team, couldn't fault them. I did have a general anaesthetic but it seemed different to ones I've had previously, took a little bitter longer to go off than before but seemed to recover much better. Going to the loo is fine. A reasonable amount of blood the first time on the ward but nothing since and not sore. Sitting has been ok as long as I'm a bit careful but no more so than with the abscess. I won't be giving driving a go until Monday, so I give the general anaesthetic time to clear my system. I'll let you know how it goes! 

All the best Michelle

• Posted

That's great I'm really pleased that your pretty comfortable! I'm having my op on a fri and will prob need to drive on the Monday but definatly the tues! I had a large episiotomy when I had my son and had stitches inside and out which was very unconfortable so I'm hoping it's no worse than that as I know I coped with that! Lol x
    • Posted

I haven't had kids yet so I'm afraid I can't offer a direct comparison but I will happily admit I don't have the highest pain threshold in the world! 
    • Posted

Lol :o) it was very uncomfortable! But I managed to cope with it on barely any painkillers as I was breastfeeding so am keeping my fingers crossed that marsup will be a walk in the park compared to that! :o)
    • Posted

I've only got a few stitches so I think your previous experience will have been worse. I'll give you an update on the driving as soon as I've given it a whirl. Now off to sleep of the last of my anaesthetic, speak to you soon. 

All the best, Michelle

• Posted

Hi Michelle, how are you doing today? Still healing well I hope? 

Debbie x

• Posted

Hi Debbie,

Yes all still going well thanks. You'll be pleased to know I went for a short drive last night to go and see some friends. It was fine on the way there and just a little bit uncomfortable on the way back but that was my fault as I left it a bit too long in between doses of paracetamol. 

• Posted

Aww that's great! I'm so pleased your having a good experience with this procedure! (Or as good as possible considering what's been done and to where!) lol I had a pre assessment app come through the post today so called to fine out what happens at that as never had one before and the lady was lovely so that had put me at ease about it a bit too! 

Do you have any check up apps to check healing or anything? Or is it not needed?

Debbie :o)

• Posted

No no appointments booked, the stitches are dissolvable so shouldn't be any need. I'm just having having a quick sit in a salt water bath in the morning and evening and staying topped up with paracetamol and hoping it all heals up nice and quick. 
  • Posted

Fabulous! Really hope that my experience is like yours! Are you finding walking ok? When I had an episiotomy I walked like a penguin for about a week! Lol and how many stitches so you have? Sorry for all the questions! 

Thank you again! Your messages are a great help! And I really am glad that your doing well :o)

• Posted

No problem, happy to share! It's only first thing in the morning before I get some paracetamol down me that I have a touch of the John Wayne about me! No idea how many stitches but can't be more than a couple as incisions aren't very big at all. I must admit I was picturing it being a bit more of a car crash down there! Thankfully though very little bruising and no real swelling which was a very pleasant surprise. Just tender if you sit very upright so your weight is over the stitches but generally finding ways to avoid that. : )
  • Posted

That really is great! I think I'm imaging it to be terrible as I've got the episiotomy to compare too! When I had that there was a lot of swelling to that side, it's a much bigger cut though as they basically cut through one whole lip if that makes sense! Lol sorry if tmi! At least if I imagine it to be that bad it a bonus if it isn't! When I saw the consultant he made the op sound very easy, he said he's just make a small incision,  pop 4 stitches in and b done! Some of the post on here say about not being prepared for how it look afterwards etc so thought he might have been playing it down a lot!! Lol
    • Posted

Don't worry about over sharing, that's the joy of a forum like this you can ask what you really want to know! As I said I haven't had an episiotomy but can't believe this is close as only little incisions. I may have been lucky with my surgeon but did have two done at the same time so my experience is hopefully representative of what you could expect. Anything where you are getting cut about down there isn't going to be pretty for a little bit but it's better than I expected. It's all internal and surgeon said it should heal from the bottom up to just leave a new small duct so hopefully it will be pretty much back to normal. Well better than normal if like me you've got used to having lovely lumps keep popping up all the time! 
    • Posted

I've only had this one and I'm sure it's been there since around the time of my episiotomy 4 years ago as I kind of just thought it looked slightly different that side because of scar tissue etc, it wasn't so much a lump then it was more a small bulge and it kind of fits in the lines of scarring, my gp said it's probably blocked by scar tissue so not likely to unblock it myself, I only really noticed it a few months ago as it had got a bit bigger so looked more lump like, it doesn't hurt or cause any problems so did consider leaving it but really don't want an infection in it! Did you get told much about the possibility of it reoccurring? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.