please can you give me actual experieces of masupialization?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm booked to have this surgery in September but am still really worried about it!

my cyst doesn't hurt or bother me at all at the moment! Could you tell me your experiences of this operation from start to finish healing?

how sore was it? When were you able to drive after? Where u able to carry on as normal after?

I'm worried as I have 2 young children and I'm childminding! I am having the opp on a Fri and have the Monday off but I have to get back to work on the tues and be able to drive for school pick ups :o(

also, was all your stitches inside your lady bits? Did it look different from the outside? If that makes sense?

many thanks for all your help! I'd really appreciate all the details you can give me!

0 likes, 76 replies

76 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Sorry Michelle just thought of a few more questions! Was it or has it bled much since having it done? R u having to wear pads or anything? How long did they keep u in the hospital for afterwards? :o)

• Posted

Hi, thought I'd replied yesterday but can't have actually sent it. They did mention that they could reoccur but as I've had abscesses pretty much the whole time the last couple of months seemed worth a go. Bleeding really hasn't been an issue. Some on the day of the op as you'd expect but you only really notice anything when you have a wee and it's only a spot. No need to wear pads. Wasn't in hospital very long at all. Went down to surgery at 11.30 and was out by 3.00. They have to keep you an hour on the ward when you come out of recovery and make sure you've had something to eat, drink and been to the loo then you're good to go. 
  • Posted

Hi Michelle, how are you now? Hope all is still going well? :o)) x
    • Posted

Hi Debbie,  still going well. Have stopped the painkillers and things seem to be healing well. Still sitting down a bit more carefully than usual and fiancé is still most definitely not going to be in luck but other than that pretty much carrying on as normal. 
  • Posted

Thanku! I really do appreciate your replies! :o) how are you feeling today? 
  • Posted

Lol! :o) that's great! Your must be so relieved that it's going well! There is so many negative comments about recovery etc! I actually cried when I found this site after being told I needed it done when I read lots of bad things!! Lol x
    • Posted

I know. I had a look too and struggled to find anything positive. In the end I decided not to look anymore as I knew I needed to have the op and there was no point worrying myself about how bad I might feel. I figured it was best to think positive and then if it went well post something to try and balance things out as some people seem to have had a bad time of it.  
    • Posted

I will be keeping my fingers firmly crossed that my experience is a a good as yours :o) x
  • Posted

Hi Michelle, hope ur still getting on ok? How's ur healing going? x
  • Posted

Getting nervous now as my marsupilization is booked for just under 2 weeks away!! Had a pre op assessment a few days ago and they scared the hell out of me by saying it's a large incision and lots of stitches!! And that I need to take 2 weeks off work after! The surgeon who booked me in said it would be a small incision and 4 stitches!! And that I would be sore (obviously) but ok to carry on as normal after a few days!! So I don't know what to expect!! 
    • Posted

Hi Debbie

try not to worry... 

it only takes 10-15 mins it os not a large incision and is not alot of stitches 

Post-operative period..

Normally...

After Marsupialization the patient stays for a few hours and is discharged home on the same day.

A follow up visit should take place after about 7 days.

An appropriate hygiene of the intimate areas is crucial for a fast recovery – the intimate areas should be washed 2 times a day for 7 days. Patients should avoid wearing tight and synthetic underwear. Patients may feel a mild pain which should go away after OTC painkillers. 

• Posted

Hi Debbie, 

Sorry I didn't reply to your earlier message, I was on holiday. I'm sorry to hear your pre op didn't go so well. I'm pretty much completely healed up and the scar is really small and there was only a couple of stitches on each side. I hope things all go smoothly for you. Michelle 

• Posted

Hi Michelle, hope you had a good holiday! Really pleased your all healed up! Are u having any discomfort at all now? The pre op nurse told me it will be 4 or 5 weeks before it feels comfortable! They didn't ease my mind at all! Lol I've taken the week off after my op but still really need to be able to drive as soon as possible for school runs for my son, it's not that easy for my husband to get out of work to do it! They also said I would have stitches on the outside! Which has confused me as the cyst is inside the labia! :o(
    • Posted

Hi Debbie, 

I had a lovely holiday thanks. I even went on a 23 mile bike ride so think I can safely say I'm all healed up! I'm a bit confused by what your nurse has said. I definitely had no external stitches and was definitely not uncomfortable for anything like that long. They are definitely talking about doing a marsupilisation rather than removing the whole gland aren't they? 

Michelle X

• Posted

Hi Michelle, glad you had a good time! I was wondering if that was what the nurses were talking about afterwards, if maybe they had got it wrong! The surgeon was definatly talking about marsupilization tho so when I see him on Friday I will make sure! Lol feeling nervous now tho :o( lol
    • Posted

Hi Debbie, 

Totally understand you feeling nervous. I think in many ways it was easier for me to have it done with the abscess at the time as I was already in pain. Whereas if yours insn't really painful at the mo it must be scary to think you're now going to be pulled about. The surgeon is the one who is going to be best placed to tell you what to expect so I'd listen to them. If it is a marsupialisation then as I said before it is definitely only a couple of stitches inside the labia and while not the best way I can think of spending a day it certainly wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be. I'll be thinking of you Friday and I really hope it all goes well. I really do think you'll think it's very minor compared to your episiotomy. Good luck and all the best.

Michelle x

• Posted

Hi Michelle, I was just wondering, did they give you local anesthetic to the area aswel as having a general? I've read in some places that they do? I would rather they didn't I think as id rather not be lulled into a false sense of security pain wise! Lol just wondering what they did for you? Thanks so much :o)
    • Posted

Hi Debbie, 

They got me to swallow two paracetamol while I was putting my very tasteful surgical stockings on before I went down. I then had the general and as far as I know that was it. They did put something in with the general to try and reduce nausea as apparently ladies having such ops are a bit prone to that but no local as far as I know. I'd stocked up on codeine in case the pain was bad but never needed them. As long as I kept topped up with paracetamol I was fine. Hope that helps. x       

• Posted

That's great thanku, when I had all my wisdom teeth out under general they put local in while o was asleep to make it more comfortable when I woke up, I hope they don't as like I said I'd rather feel it straight away! :o)
    • Posted

With the general knocking about in your system you won't probably know until Saturday exactly how you feel but hopefully you'll be pretty comfortable. Sitting straight up is the one to avoid, hence why my car seat was at a very boy racer reclined position for a week or so! 
    • Posted

Did you put an ice pack or anything on the area to help reduce swelling at all? xx
    • Posted

Really wasn't that much swelling. The ducts of the gland were swollen and felt really quite hard. They stayed that way for a while, in fact right one is still a bit raised so don't be too freaked out by that. I just had a couple of baths with salt in each day to keep things clean and that was it. 
    • Posted

Ok thanku! Feeling soooooo nervous now! Don't think I will sleep tonight :o(
    • Posted

Hopefully will all be a bit of an anticlimax. As I said before, I felt up to a short wander round waitrose on the way home to get something nice for tea! I felt just like you the night before then wondered what I'd got worried about when it was done. I'm not kidding when I say I have a low pain threshold so if I was ok with it can't be too bad! The anticipation was definitely the worst bit. I convinced myself it would be really painful and I'd be practically bedridden for days and that just wasn't the case. Try not to worry, easy to say I know but try to get a good nights sleep. Everything seems worse when your tired and stressed out and that won't help if it isn't too comfortable tomorrow. x
    • Posted

Thanku :o) hopefully this time tomorrow it will be done and I will be home or nearly home!! Xx
    • Posted

I'm sure you will be. Make sure you take something to read, time really drags while you're waiting! 
    • Posted

I have a book on my kindle app on my phone I've been meaning to start for a while :o) thanks again for all your messages! I really appreciate them and they are cm definatly helping me stay calm about it! Until tomorrow when I will probably cry like a baby before I go! Lol
    • Posted

So..... I haven't had surgery! Have just got home! a different surgeon came to book me in etc and asked how many times I've had antibiotics, which is never, how often it flares up, I've only had this one and it's just stayed the same not bothering me and how painful it is which it isn't at all, she looked quite puzzled and said they wouldn't usually operate unless it was painful and they reaccured. The other surgeon just booked me for it even tho he knew it wasn't hurting saying this it would just get larger and could get infected so best to have it! So the other sturgeon examined it and said it's pretty small and isn't really much there to operate on anyway! 

Glad that I've not had to have it done but annoyed that I had to make so many plans for them to now be not needed and all the worry! Lol

Michelle you said that you had treated yours for a while at home, did u just do the salt baths? Or do you have any other tips? The surgeon said it's smaller now that when I had my consultation so it's gone down on it's own abit! Will give baths another go to see if it will shrink anymore :o) 

• Posted

Hi Debbie

try table salt bath..

cup full ... Dissolve in hot bath water them top the water up to as  hot as you can stand it ..

fill to above thigh level..

try and get the water just inside near the cyst..

the salt unclogs the blocked pore..

the bath water heat draws the fluid ..

mine was like a walnut .. Mine went this way..

i could feel mine if i just put my thumb end inside me, and my fingers on the top and then i gently massaged the cyst with the salt water in and around .. And bingo after a few baths it went

the doc said it would with patience and two baths a day for a few days 

worth a try.. Just simple table salt .. Great healer ..

jay xx

• Posted

Hi Debbie, 

More of an anticlimax than expected then! I had a similar experience except I actually ended up on the table knocked out before the surgeon decided it had gone down too much to do! I agree salt baths are the best way to go and any sign of growth I've been straight down to the doctors for antibiotics. 

• Posted

Thanku both very much! Will start baths tonight again, I actually can't believe that it hasn't been done! Lol I hardly slept last night worrying lol!
    • Posted

Hi Deb

yea i can imagine .. Stress for nothing 😕

you may strike lucky like i did with the table salt baths ..

fingers crossed 

take care sweetie 

jay xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.