Please don’t give up on it

Posted , 19 users are following.

I just want to tell everyone to give this medicine 12 weeks unless you absolutely cannot tolerate the side effects. It takes so long to see improvement, and for many weeks you feel worse.  I felt awful for at least 8-9 weeks, with little improvement.  Now in week 11, I definitely see improvement.  Yesterday I worked half a day, and then went to 2 appointments.  Normally I would have been an angry, irritable mess.  I probably would have canceled something, but I went and after I was like I know this is working because even a few days earlier I would not have been able to do all of that and still feel ok.  So my advice is to please give it 12 weeks before quitting. 

4 likes, 104 replies

104 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

The last time I was on ORozac my doc gave me valium to counteract the initial side effects which worked great. I remember after about 3-4 weeks walking dow the high street and smiling at everyone I met. On prozac again without the valium and don't feel great, but know it will work in time. The happiness creeps up on you like the depression does.

• Posted

hi...thankyou for sharing that...i.m just coming up to 12 weeks on fluoxatine and hopefully will start to feel better? i was on citalapram but getting too high on them so came off, started with fluoxatine feel really low! doctor wanted to up them but i decided to give 20mg a bit more time..

• Posted

Hi Lizzie,

I’m on 12 weeks, almost 6 was on Zoloft, then the last 6 on Prozac.  I’m seeing some improvement.  I am less irritable and angry, before everything bothered me, so that’s positive.  The Dr just upped me to 60, you may need a higher dose.

The side effects aren’t as bad as when I initially started after 12 weeks.

• Posted

Hi Stacey. I'm glad you are feeling better. I'm around almost 3 months. I have good days and bad days still. Does this happen to you.

• Posted

Hi Clay,

Yes my Dr just upped to 60 mg 3 days ago, so having some side effects.  I have up and down days.  I notice I am not irritable or angry like I was before, so that’s a definite improvement.  I wouldn’t say I’m happy yet, but better than I was.  At 12 weeks the bad anxiety I had is more manageable.  I was having to take 1/2 a Xanax for panic attacks, but I haven’t had any in 4 days, so I know that is better.  Most people I have talked to have said 12 weeks you will at least start to be feeling better, and then it will be better after that.  You may need a higher dose also.  I went up to 60.

• Posted

I'm on 20 mg. I also take Ativan to help me with the anxiety. My doctor doesn't want to up my dose. I did feel better after 12 weeks. My there are days when I feel anxious still. I guess other factors worsen the anxiety. I have a 16 year old son who is going through those years where he is rebelling. He's a good kid just experimenting with teenage stuff. But I have faith in God things will get better.

• Posted

I'm on 20 mg. I also take Ativan to help me with the anxiety. My doctor doesn't want to up my dose. I did feel better after 12 weeks. My there are days when I feel anxious still. I guess other factors worsen the anxiety. I have a 16 year old son who is going through those years where he is rebelling. He's a good kid just experimenting with teenage stuff. But I have faith in God things will get better.

• Posted

You sound like you are doing better.  20 is usually the starting dose but it sounds like it is definitely helping.  
    • Posted

What was your starting doze. Do you have any bad days now that you are taking a higher dose.
    • Posted

I started at 20, I just went up to 60 a few days ago, so I’m not sure yet.  The side effects are not as bad as before though.
    • Posted

Hi Stacey. I started on 20 still on 20. I'm on my 10th week. The process is slow. But God will guide us through this.

• Posted

thankyou for sharing your story...i hung on for 12 weeks and thank god i feel great! so hang in there!.
  • Posted

I’m on week  8 I’m hoping by week 12 I’ll be feeling a lot better still very anxious and not sleeping keeping fingers toes crossed x
    • Posted

Hi Brenda . I'm on week 11 still have anxiety. I want to change medication. But they say to give it more time. It's really frustrating.

• Posted

I think you need more than 20, I’ve heard 60 for anxiety.  My Dr wants me on 80.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.