Please don’t give up on it

Posted , 19 users are following.

I just want to tell everyone to give this medicine 12 weeks unless you absolutely cannot tolerate the side effects. It takes so long to see improvement, and for many weeks you feel worse.  I felt awful for at least 8-9 weeks, with little improvement.  Now in week 11, I definitely see improvement.  Yesterday I worked half a day, and then went to 2 appointments.  Normally I would have been an angry, irritable mess.  I probably would have canceled something, but I went and after I was like I know this is working because even a few days earlier I would not have been able to do all of that and still feel ok.  So my advice is to please give it 12 weeks before quitting. 

4 likes, 104 replies

104 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I tried my best but approx 24 weeks in I have had to start tapering off. Looking forward to the next guinea pig experiment ... sigh
    • Posted

What happened Dom?  Did it stop working? Bad side effects?
    • Posted

Dom, I was so hopeful for you is it that your anxiety or depression  have not improved enough or is it other side effects?

Progress is so slow, the only way I can measure it is not in how I feel but in what I can do this month that I wouldn’t do last month. 

Best of luck you. Please stay on this site and let us know how you are. 

• Posted

Hi....Dom if i make ask why did you deside stop after 24weeks? Did you feel it was helping at some point? It seems a long time. Im week 6 and feeling awful. Don't want to wait so long then decide to stop.

• Posted

I had 5 months of insomnia, anxiety, suicidal thoughts etc. Time to try something else.

• Posted

I think I am more anxious and depressed on it but it did stop the panic attacks. It worked the first time I was on it but not this time. This time I got intense insomnia too.

Thank you I'll let you know when I find something that works wink

• Posted

Week 6 is too early to know. I'd give it 12 if I were you. It just wouldn't work for me the 2nd time.

• Posted

Hi....Dom im thinking of coming off Prozac. Are your withraw symptoms bad. In the past i had used Paxil and it work great minus the weight gain. By the 8th week i would feel great. This time around my anxiety feels so different its constant 24/7 no break. Before it was more like waves that would come and go threw out the day. Did start a new medication?
  • Posted

Thank you Stacey, just completed 3 weeks, the side effects were not too bad for me except anxiety is worse and that is why I went on it. It’s good to know recovery can take a while
    • Posted

Hi Lynn,

Sorry for the late response. Yes it took me about 4-5 months to see a definite huge improvement, I started to see some improvement after 12 weeks.  The anxiety was very bad for me until the 12 week mark, but then got much better as time went on.  Hang in there, I know it’s so hard at first.  It sounds like you are on the right track.

• Posted

Did you have horrible anxiety when you first woke up still in the 5th week. Still have a hard time socializing. Did you ever need to take Klonopin in the beginning. I need to take a .25 every morning. I am holding out hope fluoxetine will still work for me on 20mg 36 days
    • Posted

Lynn, I take 3 .25 mg a day if needed. I think it is called Clonazapam here.  It helps a little but not much. 

Take one day at a time and walk if you can.  I know how hard. It is. 

• Posted

Thanks Nancy,

today I only took a quarter of a .5. I am still at day 35 so I guess I have a long way to go. Do you feel better today then you did at 5 weeks?

• Posted

Lynn, this is so slow it’s hard to tell if I feel better. I have more good days than I had 5 weeks ago. I can do some things I couldn’t do 5 weeks ago. Today I took a walk, went to the paint store and had lunch out by myself. I had to force myself to do all of those things. Now I am back in the bed.  By 8 tonight I’ll feel fine then it will start tomorrow morning.   

It’s so frustrating because no two people react to Flu the same. I took it many years ago with no side effects and it worked in two weeks.  This time I have had a terrible time.  I would have expected to feel better by now  

I was taking it for depression which is no longer the big problem. The anxiety and what it does physically to my body is much more of a problem. Still I am going to stay with it.  I can’t see starting over after. 22 weeks.  

• Posted

Hi Lynn,

Yes I was bad until week 12, then it started getting better and better.  I wish it didn’t take so long.  I took 1/2 Xanax until week 12.   Week 5 was awful for me, sorry to say.  Hang in there.  Whatever you can do to keep busy, walking a lot and yoga helped me deal with the anxiety.

• Posted

Thank  you Stacey,

week five started today for me, with the worst anxiety I have had since I started. Your story gives me hope that I will get better too.

• Posted

Today I felt a little better. I will remember this when I wake up tomorrow 
    • Posted

Lynn,

The anxiety was awful until week 12.  

1/2 Xanax helped me and I didn’t want to take it, but now looking back I should have accepted it better that it wouldn’t be forever because I was afraid I was going to get addicted to it.  I’ve taken it for 3 time periods in my life of about 3 months each, and never got addicted.  I try to take the least possible, but it was the only thing that helped keep the anxiety down through week 12, then I didn’t need it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.