Please help.

Posted , 8 users are following.

So for the past week I've been having issues. On sunday I started to feel I may have the onset of a UTI so I went to the doctor Monday. They tested me for uti and said I didn't have one. Did a pap and various other tests and said I had BV. I had never heard of this and asked them what the symptoms were they said that odor and discharge should be my only symtoms I don't have either. My pain isn't really in my blatter its in my urethra from what it feels like. However it doesn't only hurt to pee it hurts constantly. At first they put me on metronidazole oral and it made me sick so they tried metro gel and bactim incase I did have a uti. I've been taking the bactrim for 24 hours now and the metro gel for 2 days and everything seems to be getting worse. I've never experienced anything like this before. I missed a whole week of work ill be lucky if I still have a job. Any information on this subject will help. I went to the doctor again today and she didn't take me serious at all. I'm in constant pain and don't know where to go from.here.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

First ur dr needs to send your ur ine our to a lab for a proper culture. That will take a few days but will be conclusive. They can then medicate properly.

As for the BV, those are the right meds but again have dr culture to get a proper diagnosis rather than just a visual. You may have both but mixing n changing meds like that can't be good.

Ask for a sono to in order to check urethra kidneys etc

• Posted

Hi I have been experiencing foul smell and discharge since sep 15 I took trish treatment but that didn't work so I took to Internet and realised I had been suffering bv , I went to my dr last week for 1st time after plucking up the courage she said from what it sounds like I do have BV ?an she dosnt need to do swabs I was mortified as I wanted these done and to rule out other problems , she any way gave ME metronidazole I took two a day for 7 ?Days then booked back in to see her I still had two days to go when I seen her again she said how have your symptoms been I said less ?an smell had gone completley as it had and she said again well there's no need for swabs im thinking what's wrong with this woman why won't she do swab and be over with I was so frustrated so I told her about this forum and said that many woman who take these tabs says soons they have finished or have sex again it's back and she just said yes that's possible , so drhhhh do the swabs , all she done was sent me away with a pot and asked me to provide urine next morning and checking for gonareah and chlaymidia I wanted a culture test ??an ph levels checked I mean wtf , people are correct when they say doctors don't know about this and I'm telling you they would make a very watchable documentary on finding out about bv because I believe there are thosands of woman suffering this horrible thing I still haven't had symptoms back ??an no odour and my tablets finished Thursday or Wednesday but then I haven't had sex either so I'm not hoping for a miracle, for any one taking these tablets alls Id say is make sure you do take them with a meal because it makes you feel less sick I found I lost my appetite but if I didn't eat I felt bad if I did when I took it it was ok so they have worked but it's waiting to see if it comes back happy for now though cod im on holiday soon, through all my knickers away to ??an bought new cotton ones I think that helps , good luck ??an try the metronidazole again x

• Posted

Hi! I had a similar problem and after taking lots of meds, they gave something for irritated blader instead and worked immediately. I don't remember the name but your urologist should know.

• Posted

But you also should check for stones ...it is very common. I had that too before and the stone can get stuck in your ureter and cause inflammation
    • Posted

Im trying to get into see a urologist but unfortunately my doctor isn't taking me serious at all because all yhe uti and std tests come back negative. They did say I have BV so idk if it could be a symtom of that. Its weird though my urethra seems to be the only pain I'm having. I thibk tomorrow ill try the ER. Do you have experience with BV? Anyway thank you for your reply it gives me some comfort knowing im not alone =)

• Posted

Check online a urologist close to you and book an appointment, don't wait for your doctor this kind of pain doesn't look like BV. I had bv but now seems in control.

• Posted

I've battled bv for 12 year!!' Never with any pain. Itching burning discharge yes. Never pain. You need to change doctors. They need to listen to your symptoms & act accordingly. You need cultures, not just dip stick urine test. Go to ER if you have the insurance. They will run the gamut. Poor thing. I feel for you.

• Posted

I went to the ER today the did urine test, blood test, ultra sound and still found nothing. Im so scared Ive never been in so much pain and a doctor not tell me why. I've already lost my job and I'm afraid if it keeps going on like this I will loose my relationship. I noticed today I have alot of redness and buring on the left side of my labia I think it is. The only thing I've tested posted for was bv and they have done so many different tests... I'm on my third day of metronidazole gel for that.... Any advice would be appreciated... I'm just terrified

• Posted

Omg I'm so sorry to hear this. And to lose your job too. So awful. The fact that the ER didn't find a thing in urine blood or sono is odd. Bv does not cause pain or at least I've never heard of it. Keep in mind that the urine should be a CULTURE & needs to "grow " for a few days to get accurat diagnosis. The fact that ur own dr dismisses ur symptoms is terrible. Are u in a big city? Second opinion with a gyn is necessary

• Posted

Im going to try to get into a gyno Monday but my insurance is threw my job so I'm going to have to figure out that part of it. I just can't believe they didn't find anything today.... I live in Oregon right outside of portland. Thank you for listening and suggestions it helps.

• Posted

Please don't be terrified.  BV (Bacterial Vaginosis) is very common and yes, it can irritate your urethra and cause constant pain in the urethra or in the labia or vaginal opening because BV causes inflammation and inflammation causes pain.  But Bv is very common and even after you complete the treatment your lady bits will take a week or so to return back to normal.  The metronidazole gel can also cause more burning and pain because everything is inflammed.  

Please don't worry, you will be fine.  Vaginal inflammation can only be caused by one of three things, BV, yeast infection or atrophic vaginosis (lace of estrogen after menopause)  All of these can cause pain in your urethra.  If you start to feel better in a week, ask your doctor to prescibe an oral antibiotic which will treat both BV and a UTI infection.  Many oral antibiotics do and you won't have more irritation from the vaginal gel.  Also, make absolutely sure you don't have a yeast infection.  Yeast can inflame your urethra as well.  But don't worry, if you treat your vagina for yeast it will take care of your urethra as well. You can ask your doctor to test you for that if he/she hasn't already.  But I can absolutely asure you that any vaginal infection can cause pain in your urethra because of inflammation.  It has happened to me many times!  Right now I have BV and my urethra hurts.  

I'll pray for you right before I go to sleep.  :-)

• Posted

I'm literally crying right now this has made me so happy. Thank you so much. For that insight. I was so upset with my doctor for not discussing it more with me. I found out my insurance is good for 60 more days and I'm going to start looking for a gyno on monday just so I can get more infornation. My doctor has been terrible threw this whole and I truly don't think he realized how scary it was to wake up and have everything down there be wrong and no one seems to know why. Especially when I hadent experienced with this before. Anyway I will now rest easier tonight thank you.

I'll pray for you as well :-)

• Posted

Dani, I have had BV for over three years now...I tried antibiotics, antibotics inserts, for me these didn't work ongoing cycle of killing off all bacteria bad and good.  I have tried over the counter remedies, yogurt, probiotic, unscented soap, douching, perioxide, vitamin c inserted into vagina ( helped for a while but then was told it thins uterine lining ) so I stopped doing that. I now just wash rectum with unscented soap and vagina only with water.  Finally the BV goes away for a few days every month but return with period.    Anyway my reason for writing is because of the uti symptoms.  I have had uti's on and off since I was a young girl.  I was told my bladder doesn't empty fully.  When I got married I was put on antibiotics because I was getting  them frequently with intercourse.  Long story short I hadn't had them for years and was getting them very often again.  When they tested my urine it was coming back negative.  I would feel like I was getting one even if I only masterbated only rubbing my clitoris ( to much info...I know...sorry ) I do have a few kidney stones but I have just been diagnosed with having Adenomyosis, which can give you the pressure associated with a uti.  Basically skin grows into the muscular lining of your uterus, giving you heavy periods and also sometimes an enlarged uterus putting pressure on your bladder.  Maybe you should look it up and ask your doctor about it if nothing else can explain the pressure...best of luck.  Hang in there I know it is so frustrating.   Was so excited when a Doctor didn't look at me like I was crazy.. My new gyro diagnosed me said she had Adenomyosis also...take care...hope this helps

• Posted

Many people have mentioned the use of vitamin c to help.

I was diagnosed with bv two days ago after having first been only diagnosed with a UTI a week ago, so I've had BV for a week .

I felt like I was in hell, my entire vagina was killing me all week super sensitive to touch and burning all over, everytime I peed or pooped I felt like I was gonna pass out from the pain, and I got blisters around my vagina from the thick yellow excessive discharge that was coming out (so bad I had to wear a pad)

Nothing seemed to work and I was barely given the prescribed metronidazole two days ago so idk if that has helped. However, about an hour or two ago I did what many users said helped which was put a vitamin c pill straight up my vagina as far as I could

About a minute later it felt extremely itchy and it hurt so bad I could barely breathe, it felt like extremely hot burning liquid coming down my vagina ! I began to think that this was a mistake but then about 40 minutes later following the extreme pain that continued I felt the need to pee. I was ready to give up and feel the pain but when I peed I had no pain. Now my vagina doesn't hurt and I can pee freely ! I definitely reccomend and if anyone has questions I can help or keep updated

• Posted

Thanks for all the information guys. I was actually starting to feel a little better the last two days I saw a gyno on monday who said I had yeast and gave me a pill and I was so relieved when I felt it working however when I woke up today it was intense burning in my urethra again especially after urination and I did notice I had started my period... Im so depressed I've lost my job it hurts to walk even. While I thought my insurance was good for another 60 days it turns out I would have to pay a very large amount to keep it active so.after this week I'll be without insurance. This is no way to live sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.