Please help

Posted , 11 users are following.

I've been getting the run around for a year now and I'm starting to get really scared. About a  6 months after having my second daughter I started complaining of a tightness in my throat. It would come and go randomly but it especially got worse after meals. I went to the doctor who ran blood tests and said everything came back negative. They wanted to rule out thyroid problems. Fast foward to now I've been to 4 different doctors because of the pain has gotten so bad. Just had a barium swallow test done where the doctor was able to see the fluids coming back up my esophagous. The ENT put me on a PPI but that didn't work so then I tried zantac and prilosec and those dont help either. I'm now scheduled for an endoscopy on July 11th because I've dropped a signifigant amount of weight. Also I now have a sharp stabbing pain in my chest, shoulder, uppder/mid back, and ribs. I'm going to be honest here and say that I'm TERRIFIED that it's something more life threatening. It doesn't help that I have anxiety. So anyway, I'm here to calm my nerves. I've got 2 weeks of not knowing and pain to endure and my mind is getting the best of me. I'm afraid It might be a tumor or cancer. Just wondering if anyone else who had GERD experienced symptoms like this?? 

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

P.S sorry for all the spelling errors. Lack of food for months plus stress. =/ 
  • Posted

Hi i have lost 4Kgs in 2 months and 8Kgs in 12 months i think you loose weight when you have acid reflux.

I have mine mostly under control by not eating loads of foods like dairy. But because of the weight i have lost i have 2 appoinments at hospital one for a mole one for lump on the sindie of my top lip and with the gastro man. plus had bloods today one was to check for cancer of my pancreas becacuse that's what my dad died of.

But i hope it's just from having acid relux.

• Posted

Yes, about all of them except the throat pain.  Yes, I have mild reflux on my throat and esophagus as well. Done 3 endoscopes, 2 Colonoscopies, 1 Barium Swallow, 1 Eso Manomatry, Belly CT and many more. I have tried all PPI's and now I'm trying the last one which is Dexilant 60mg (just 6 days so far) , all H2 Blockers and nothing helped.  Now, I have mild reflux on my esophagus but normal acid levels.  I do not have heartburn and can sleep without any problem.  My main symptoms are pressure on chest and hard time breathing with Rib-cage pain. I also have to clear my throat all the time but is not severe. Cleared by my Pulmo and Cardio- Actually, with both the report is unremarkable so today I was referred to Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville which is one of the top 5 best. They did find on the SIBO breathe test that I have a bacteria, but again no regular symptoms from the bacteria which even the Doc said it was really strange.

• Posted

Hi Gab, I was hospitalized and was only discharged on the 4th of this month and since my discharge I have been to the ER 3 times, when I was in the hospital I had a number of heart related test done which came back negative also a lot of blood work done which came back negative and yet I keep greeting symptoms of a heart attack which is terrifying, the constant sharp sticking pain in my chest which radiates to my neck,jaw,shoulders,arm, I does be so scared that I does try not to sleep at night thinking if I close my eyes I am not going to wake up,I am presently taking Omeprazole 40mg twice a day along with Metoclopramide 10mg three times a day for my GERD, along with that I am also taking Micardis Plus 80mg/12.5mg once a day for my blood pressure, also taking Cinnaron 75mg twice daily, Apo-Loratadine 10mg once daily and Nasasone MF 50mg nasal spray once daily, so I really know how you feel and this sickness is really affecting my work life, I have not work in 7 weeks because I am self employed and I have a son 4 years old and my girlfriend is currently 3 months pregnant and she does not work so this GERD is affecting my mentally, physically, financially and emotionally, by the way I am 42 years old
  • Posted

I have had everything you have written about but only for the last 2 months! Actually all of you I can relate to. This began 2 months ago after being diagnosed with a severe sinus infection and being put on strong antibotics. I have not been the same since! Lost 25 lbs in this time because I can't swallow and my anxiety is getting the best of me! Went to ent and had barium swallow which came back ok and even though he told me I had LPR, a sore throat that won't go away and swollen voice box,he said there was nothing else he could do! I was put on liquid Zantac and the acid wouldn't stop! Then I had the endoscopy and waiting to see how biopsy's come back! The gastro seems like there isn't much he can do but put me on meds! I have ended up in the ER 5 times now! Have all the pains you do and thought it was my heart! Other times not being able to swallow!!! I feel so sorry for my wonderful husband! We went from having a life to barely existing! 

• Posted

Yes, same happened to me.  But now I found God which gave us life again.

Now, LPR and GERD is the same reflux going up to the throat and that is why many people with LPR do not have heartburn because it does not stop at the chest.  And then their is some of us who have both, GERD and LPR.  I do not have the heartburn but have the pressure and pain right under my breast bone area all the way up to my throat.  I believe that stress and medications caused my reflux because my valve is working properly and I have normal acid levels. I do have a Bacteria so lets see how  that turns out after I take the antibiotic which has not been approved. ;-(  I have lost 55 pounds in 2 1/2 years but is now at around 150 and staying there. ;-) Yes, will love to gain 20 back. ;-(  During my rush days when this all started I ended up 2 times at the ER, anxiety was high but then I realized it was a waste of time and money because they always check for heart problems which I don't have so I have not been to the ER in 2 years.

• Posted

Hi  The endoscopy is nothing dont worry about that they give u light sedation and over quickly.  Glad your having that done, then they will find out what is wrong...Swallowing was not my problem....mine was the chest pains at certain times when I ate certain things it didnt happpen  all the time. It mimics a heart attack,, esophogael spasms is what I would have....I had HH and had to have Nissen Fundoplication....because my stomach had 60% acid and it was going into the hernia.....the sphincter was weak when I swallowed   they found that out with the motility study , and ph probe....those are tests they perfomed at the hospital.  They were not as bad as i anticipated,,,,..Don't think the worse we all do that to ourselves i did too.  Its fear of the unknown as well....when u get your results back you will treat it accordingly....The surgery for my problem i was scared to death...Now i thank God every day its done....no more acid reflux, chest pains, and afraid to eat certain foods....Good Luck to you and let me know how you make out....When i got stressed it did seem like it brought it on...so try to calm down and just do what the dr says thats all u can do at this point..I wish you luck and God Bless

• Posted

I am so sorry you are having so much trouble and I will pray for you.  You should definitely get your doctor to schedule an ultra sound or an MRI if you don't get results from the endoscopy.  I'd even ask him to get one scheduled ASAP, even if you have to cancel it after the endoscopy.  That way you won't have to wait so long for the procedure if the endoscopy doesn't give you any answers.  Please post here when you find out what the problem is.

• Posted

Hey! Forest of all, don't worry about cancer and stuff. It's very very rare and most likely you do not have it. What you have described are very typically GERD and gastritis symptoms. I had the same 2 years back, am endoscopy revealed hpylori induced gastritis and mild reflux. I was treated with antibiotics for hpylori which has since gone. I feel 90% better, just a few bad days here and there. So don't lose hope. Have you been tested for Hpylori? Gastritis can cause weight loss. I lost 20lbs, which made me so skinny. Fortunately I put it back on in the last year.

• Posted

Its first of all, not forest of all!

And "an endoscopy", not "am"!

Sorry about that. Stupid auto correct!

• Posted

Hi sirivinay,

Glad seeing your positive response. I am facing similar issue now.

What were your symptoms and problems you had before.

What kind of medication you had and how long

How much weight loss and gain

Did you had any vitamin deficiency?

• Posted

Hello

I too like you am frightened about this illness, and about the way my doctor blames EVERYTHING on anxiety!

My symptoms were a weird flutter in throat, harshness for some time and because it's taken so long to be listened to, a breathlessness/pressure in my chest that began as 1 episode per week for minutes, that is now 24/7.

It feels similar to the pressure on your chest when stepping into a swimming pool, or possibly a herd of elephants sitting on my chest!

I am in Brighton in the UK, and did some research in desperation (as am snapping at gorgeous children and husband as feeling awful so frequently), and yesterday received a book called 'Dr Koufman's acid reflux diet'. It tells you all about the huge amount of symptoms associated with reflux and it really helps with knowing that you're not alone, and the stories of people our age, with our symptoms, that she has 'cured'.

There is a 2 week detox, and am hoping that once I put this into place, the breathlessness (my heartburn), will get better, as if breathing is an issue with reflux, then it is severe.

I was on 20mg imperative for 10 days, but symptoms just got worse, so now on 2nd week of 40mg, and flutter in throat gone, but pressure and gullet cramps on and off (food dependent....am living on water, melon and bland chicken). Doc phoning me Tuesday to see what's what, and then I will be booked in for endoscopy and to see ent for hoarseness. I know that you have to come off meds for endoscopy, so am freaking out that breathlessness will be unbearable. Does anyone know if you can take over the counter in the 2 week wait?

My life has gone from an occasional pizza take out with the kids, monthly drinks with friends, red wine on a Saturday night with hubby, cream cake on a Friday with Nan, to NOTHING, and I am feeling very sorry for myself. Some days I want to fight it, but some days I am scared and cry a lot. I only turned 40 in February, gave up smoking in January and started running and going to exercise classes, so to get slapped in the face with this is hard.

My mum (who was misdiagnosed, died at 33 from cervical cancer, my Nan was misdiagnosed and died 62 of stomach cancer and my grandad was misdiagnosed and died of lung cancer mid 60's, and ALL of them I have just found out suffered with reflux!

I would suggest getting this book because it gave me hope, and I hope it will make you feel slightly more in control.

X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.