Please help

Posted , 4 users are following.

II have a cold and my left ear since a few hours ago keeps popping when i swallow or move my jaw. I have flonase. I used it. Im only one day in of  if this cold. I have had colds before this but this is maddening. Its the eustatian  tube but its giving me anxiety big time, its annoying. I have tinnitus every since 2007.  I cant use steroids, except the eye doc said ok for the flonase only. I cant use decongestants either. They are watching my inner angles of my eye and i have ootic nerve pallow in the right eye. The optic nerve pallor was from some virus years ago.and you have to be very careful what medicine you use. This needs to stop. Its going to drive me mad. Please anyone respond and tell me this will go away very soon. I know i have a week to go on the cold. Wow this has just never happened before.not more then a few minutes anyway. 

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Morning Lisa, obviously a time difference with you in the States and me in England.  Do let me know how you get on with your ENT consultant and hope he can sort your problem out.  When ears are blocked you can hear yourself speaking and at night when lying down you can also hear your heart beating....not a nice feeling.  Good luck and post the out come.
  • Posted

Hi Lisa

I had flu really bad too and ended up with an infected ear. After 2 rounds of antibiotics and 2 rounds of penicilin that didn't help my deathness, popping, crackle, etc my doctor put a musical tuning fork in the centre of my forehead (don't know what note) and I could hear it as clear as a bell in my death ear.  Within seconds I was swallowing yucky stuff.  My ears continued to drain for the next 8 hours with 2 major mouthfuls and 2 significant dizzy spells.  Today my ears aren't completely better but I would say 80% improved.  I have ordered my own tuning fork and will treat myself when it turns up next week.  I tried finding any info on sound waves draining fluid build up but couldn't find a thing.  I hope this helps and wish my doc had tried it weeks ago.

• Posted

Hi Leila,  this sounds extremely good news and will speak with my ENT consultant when I see him next week about sound waves.

Good luck and hope your ear continues to drain.

• Posted

Hi Anne

Tell him that when the tunning fork was held beside my death ear I could barely hear it but could mostly hear it in my "good" ear.  Then when he put it on my forehead I could hear it clear as a bell in my death ear (first thing I had heard in weeks) and I could barely hear it in my "good" ear.

Now my death ear is better than my "good" ear.

I will let you know how its working and if a second dose helps.

I have ordered a middle C and 1 octave up C.  The musical shop says that lower notes vibrate slower than high notes. 

I should have the tuning forks by Thurs.

• Posted

Thanks for reply Leila,  so glad it seems to have worked.  I've read somewhere that if we tap our foreheads with two fingers, keep going across the forehead, it sometimes releases any sinus mucus and drains down the throat....same sort of technique as the tuning folk.  You keep saying death ear, think you mean deaf ear....made me laugh !!

• Posted

Hi anne

Death ear was deliberate. Plus they sound the same.  Ha Ha hearing joke.  Not that its funny. 

I hadn't heard that about draining your nose, will give it a go next time I have a problem. 

I got pointed in a good direction for info see Weber Test.  Don't know why it drained mine and noone else has said the same thing. 

Hope your feeling better

• Posted

Okay, so it was deliberate lol.  Are you in the States ?  Not been too bad

lately, but it never lasts.  As you are aware I've been sufering this problem since the eighties, you'd think they'd have discovered what to do about this problem.  If we get a blocked nose it's easy, just use a degongestant....with the ear no known permanent cure !!

• Posted

Hi anne

I'm an Aussie

glad your ok at the mo. sux about the 30 years bit THATS SCARY.  couldn't agree more about cure this is second time I had it last time took ages to get over.  both were caused by flu or sinutitis.  I'm hoping that I have found instant relief but I guess time will tell.

I have been pointed towards helpful info See Weber Test. God knows why it drained my ears and noone else has claimed the same thing.

I found out that I need a C note 1 octave above middle C to try to fix my own ears.  Its comming next week.

Still if it only works when they are really bad then thank god it did because I can live with 20% annoyed ears.  Still no change from this morning and my death ear has stayed better than my "good" ear

Stay well and if you need to try it.

IT DIDN'T HURT

• Posted

Hi gain, Wow, an Aussie, this website does get around.  I'm in England, as you're probably aware now.

I think my ENT Consultant will think I've lost the plot when I tell him about the tuning folk.  Why again do you keep calling it your Death Ear ??  That's obviously the ear that's giving you problems.

Thank goodness mine isn't too bad and hopefully, I won't need microsuction again for a while.

Kind regards Anne

• Posted

Hi anne

Deaf and death rhyme plus usually it hurt so much that death was more appropriate, and yes it was the 1 giving me problems.

This site really does get around I have been talking to all sorts of people.  I lady I read about needed an interpreter to understand English.

I think that its fantastic so many people can access this info. 

Did you notice I said was giving problems YEAH. Just wish all better though.

Did you look up Weber test

• Posted

No haven't been on that website yet....been chatting with a few via the Patients one though.  How far in front or behind is Oz & England ??

• Posted

Hi anne

Its 9:40pm here.

Can check what time in England give me a sec

Wow its 12:40 or lunch time in London

• Posted

Can you be more specific about "ages" please? Weeks, months, years? Thx u.

• Posted

But thats the rhines test somehow it helped you but they were just testing sound waves. But if it worled thats interesting and cool.i was thinking about that all night. 
    • Posted

Hi teedizzle

The 1st time I had death ears was about 3-5 years ago. About the time of swine flu.  Not that I had that thank god.  It took months to clear though the flu was over within a week.  Nothing worked on my ears. I'm not a antibiotic user unless I have no choice and I had 4 rounds to clear my ears up that time as well.  They were the 1st antibiotics I had taken since I had an infected tooth about 8 years ago.  Steaming my ears might have helped a bit but it took hours to shift even a little bit of stuff.  This time steam didn't move any.  Guess because my ear canals were clear.  It went away on its own, I don't remember any dramatic changes in them but it was months of deathness and pain.

Sorry that doesn't sound very helpful.

• Posted

Hi Lisa

It was the Weber test I never got the Rinne test.  Thanks for pointing me to that info by the way it was interesting to read about how they pinpoint a blockage.  I just hope it wasn't a fluke and I can clear the rest when I get my own tuning fork.  Still no change from yesterday but 20% annoying is a huge improvement.  Now that both ears feel about the same I think that when I put the fork on my forehead I will hear it the same in both ears. Sux when you have read info and know what to expect cause knowledge can influence reactions.  Be pretty hard to mistake it in your ears though.  Be interesting to see if both ears hear it clear as a bell - like my death ear, or if both barely hear it - like my "good" ear heard it, a few days ago.

• Posted

You never know and they do sell these fork online the medical ones. With the correct hz too.  You never know. Science learns new things every day.
    • Posted

my ent said not always fluid. It can be Inflammation too. Retracts.So it can take some time sometimes. I think for me he said that after some testing. But now i had a cold so i dont know now. I have to believe the body can fix itself too. Sometime i wonder if we think and mess up the body from doing its thing.  I dont know. I am hopeful my ears will heal. They have before. Popping thing is horrid though.  Did you ever see the ear popper? I was looking at it and cant decieded if it worth a purchase. They had all kinda. The kids one is manual with a balloon. Then adult ones and they sell nasal irrigators. So much out there. I had one dr once who always had everyone use a nasal irrigator. he had a machine in his office. 
    • Posted

Hi Lisa

Yeah my ear drums were inflamed that what the antibiotics were for. That went away but left me still deaf.

I have never seen or used an ear popper but it sounds painful. My doc suggest that I pop my ears by holding nose and blowing but there was no way I was doing that when even a tissue would make my ears scream and feel like they were about to explode

I can blow my nose now without it being too bad and just tried popping my ears but it didn't help if anything it made my death ear worse but should be only temperary. Horride thing hasn't stopped popping and crackling at all but at least it is a lot quieter than it was 2 days ago.

I think the nasal wash works if you have snot build up under eyes and other breathing tubes including your ear drain but wouldn't have a clue if it gets all the way up behind the ear drum.  I haven't tried it but did try steam and have heard that they do similar stuff ? Steam didn't work at all but I also had clear sinus and a clear ear canal no wax, blockage, etc, just fluid build up behind the ear drum.

I hope your ears clear up too, they really annoying, yours should if they have before. 

Couldn't agree more on thinking too much about illness. Have you ever noticed esp with kids how things don't hurt unless you remind them.

I know that when I am distracted my ears aren't so bad unless they do a loud pop or something then pain etc all comes rushing back. Not that it ever went away I had just stopped thinking about it.

Can't remember where but I read that healing is 30% ??? a state of mind and the rest physical.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.