Please help! I don't know what to do!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello and thank you to those of you who take the time to read this. I have posted on here before but yesterday I was left feeling like an absolute idiot by a GP and I would really appreciate some advice.

A brief history of me!!

I was married very young into the army and had a baby. At 18 I was living in Germany. I managed to contract viral meningitis and upon recovery I was prescribed anti depressants. I went on to have a miscarriage, then find out at my next pregnancy that my baby girl had a rare lung condition. We were immediately posted back to England. Chloe was born at great Ormand street hospital. We came very close to losing her. At three yrs old she had 3 quarters of a lung removed. Not long after that my husband had an affair with my friend and left me and my two girls.

I'm not looking for sympathy by telling you all of this, I've just been told stress can contribute to fibromyalgia. This is just the tip of the ice berg but I won't bore you.

Fast forwarding to now I've suffer with tension headache, IBS, abdominal pain and I'm still on a high dose of anti depressants.

3 months ago I slipped a disc in my back. After an MRI they also discovered a complex cyst on my ovary for which I was referred straight away to a cancer clinic. Cutting a long story short I'm relieved I have not got cancer. However for some weeks now I've suffered with flu like symptoms, agony in my joints, numbness, sweating, shivers, pins and needles, extreme tiredness and fatigue, heaviness in my limbs etc etc. I had not heard of fib until someone on here thought that's what it could be.

Anyway I've been in and out of the doctors, prescribed pain medication as they thought it could be my back causing problems, I've been referred to the pelvic pain clinic, told it could be the IBS causing various symptoms so given laxido. Feeling like I was getting no where. The only way I was functioning was when i was drugged up to the eyeballs on pain killers.

Yesterday I was at the end of my rope and feeling all of those symptoms X 100. My mum insisted I need answers and to call docs again!!'

I felt so humiliated. He basically told me there is nothing wrong with me. All tests (bloods) have come back normal. He said my body for some reason is reacting to pain a lot more than others. He asked me if I'd thought about hurting or killing myself ( I think because I was crying) I explained I was crying because I am frustrated and sick of feeling this way!!

He totally bipassed when I mentioned fib!!

He upped my dose of gabapentin and that was that until I have an appointment with my so called GP next week ( I rarely see her, she doesn't know me).

I feel so defeated, upset and alone and like I'm an absolute nutter. These pains are real and they're ruining my life. I'm supposed to be starting uni in Sep ( a mature student) ironically to begin a nursing degree. I just can't see it happening. I've been signed off work now (I'm a carer) for two months!

I'm so sorry for droning on I just don't know what to do!!

Thankyou for reading

Best wishes

Vicky xxx

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Your symptoms sound just like mine, I do have fybromyalgia but I'm recently diagnosed as a celiac. My body is not tolerant to any form of wheat/gluten, malt, barley, etc. If you have not had it done, ask to be tested. It is done by a colonoscopy to check your intestines. When I eat wheat my fibromyalgia symptoms go through the roof! Everything you described. Read up on Celiac disease and find a doctor who let's you participate in your healthy plans.
    • Posted

Thank you so much, I know I've had a colonoscopy in the past. I think around 4 or so yrs ago and they found nothing. Not sure how quickly things can change.

I will definately read up on it though.

Best wishes

Vicky xxx

• Posted

Hi victoria The dr you saw is an idiot, alot of drs dont believe in fibro. I have a dr at my practice thats the same. all the tests that I had came back normal. which is what happens when you have fibro. See what happens next week when you see that dr. Ask to be refered to a rheumatologist, is their any one that could help pay for you to go private to see a rheumatologist. Is their a different surjury you could go to. it took me 10 years to get a diagnoses to get to the bottom of what was going on with me. it was only when my gp had exausted everything that it could be that she refered me to see a rheumatologist. Drs normally like to rule out other conditions it could be, before finally refering you to see a rheumatologist. Hope you get some where when you see that dr next week. take care 
    • Posted

I know I feel like I've just become a hinderence to the doctors. Feel like an absolute fool when basically I'm told I just have a low pain threshold. These pains are real and at times excruciating. It's that that brings me down, not the depression.

Unfortunately I don't really have the money to go private. My financial state is terrible since I've not been at work. SS pay is not a lot.

I will ask about the referral but I really don't think they'll give it to me 😢

Thank you so much for your support.

Best wishes

Vicky xx

• Posted

Not easy, but could you save up to go to a private doctor who you know (have heard) deals with fibromyalgia?  Probably because you are still young your doctor isn't taking you seriously - but pain is pain.  There are trigger points that should tell wether you have Fybro or not.
    • Posted

Hello and thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately I don't have the money to go private. I wish I did 😢

Best wishes

Vicky xx

• Posted

Vicky,

I am so sorry that ou have been through such a crap time and to read of your struggles with an idiotic GP - They don't realise or care that their ingnorance adds to our conditions.

I was originally diagnosed with fibro but after seeing a rheumatologist was dx with Joint Hypermobility syndrome and chronic pain syndrome. I'm on the max meds allowed and still feel like poop (also have IBS with incontinence and sleep apnoea) and feel and move like I'm 90 (I'm 44) 

I had a fantastic GP after having two stupid ones, but I moved out of their catchment area two weeks ago and have my first appointment with a new GP today and I am so worried I will have to start again.

Anyway, ask your GP for a referral to see a rheumatologist as you will get a better dx and proper advice, 

Also, as mentioned, maybe look at going private. You say you was married into the army? Have you looked at getting help and support from the army? I was a civil servant so I'm not sure if it would be the same organisattion, but look up the civil service benevolant fund and it should direct you to the correct place. They can help financially with  short term things and as far as I remember offer a counselling service. They help past and present employees and their families. Maybe worth a try.

Also, don't worry about coming on this site and blurting out whats trapped inside, you will get no judgement just loads of support and advice.

I hope you get the right support soon and if you want more info on the csbf just send me a PM.

Take care, Gentle hug

xx

• Posted

Hello and thankyou so so much for your advice and support.

I'm so sorry that you struggle too. It's just rotten and unfair. Really hope your successful with your new GP. Good ones are so few and far between it would seem.

I will absolutely look into the civil service benevolent fund. Wow some help would be amazing, however we have been divorced for 12 yrs now and if it wasn't for the CSA i would not get a penny from him for his children. He hasn't seen them now for 7 yrs. breaks my heart!

Thank you so much again. Eveyone has been so supportive and helpful.

Best wishes

Vicky xx🌷

• Posted

Aww, I bet it does break your heart, I can imagine how bad that must feel. I know it's difficult but try to keep your chin up, and remember there is always someone on this site who will listen to you if you need to get anything off your chest 

I've checked out the csbf and it is just for civil servants but if you type armed forces benevolent fund into google, there are a lot of charities offering help and support. Please let me know how you get on

Take care sweetheart xx

• Posted

Hello Victoria

I strongly recommend you change doctor or ask your GP for a referral to see a rheumatologist. It baffles me when I see doctors who don't really care about their patients. Also try some juicing for 2 weeks. When my pains are unbearable, I do a juice fast. Organic carrots, organic beets, organic celery, some ginger and turmeric works for me.

It is well with you

• Posted

Hello thank you so much for your advice.

I will definately try the juicing. I will try anything to rid this pain 😢

I really hope I get a referral but I'm doubtful.

Best wishes

Vicky xx

• Posted

Your GP sounds extremely (old school) CHANGE DOCTORS Victoria. 
    • Posted

Hello. I never seem to see the same doc. The one I saw this week was the third one I've told about these symptoms. The GP I see next week is my so called doctor who I very rarely see. It's so hard when there is no continuity and I just can't seem to find one doc that sympathises or shows concern.

Best wishes x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.