PLEASE HELP ME

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello, I'm new to this forum and am hoping to get some help/advice/support. I have an alcohol problem and I don't know how to help myself. I have so much to be grateful for in my life (a good job, wonderful family, I'm a mum-on-the-go) and yet I cannot seem to find the strength to stop drinking for good - which I know is the only way I can beat this. I am hurting my kids and partner when I drink too much (which in fairness is every time I drink - I don't have an "off" button) Today is the start of my journey and I need some friendly supporters to help me through when things get bad. I have been trying to stop for about 6 months now and can do 2/3 days easily enough (with mildish withdrawal symptoms usually) but then I will just go buy a bottle (actually usually 2) of wine and drink myself silly. I don't get cravings for it so I don't understand why I buy it after doing the hard work of stopping? It makes no sense to me. I feel so down and I can't talk to anyone in my life about it. I hate what alcohol is doing to my life, body and mind. I am very ashamed at how weak I am. I won't go to the doctor so I want to do this myself with any support out there who has been through this themselves or who has experience in supporting alcoholics. I live in Kent. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Just admitting I have a problem to myself is a very small step forward for me.

5 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My wife of twenty two years walked out because the alcohol called the shots.  Addictions can rob us of love.  Hold that drink next to a picture of your child, what is more important.  Talk open and honest, people around you and your family in particular really know you are an addict anyway.  I honestly pray that you never have a drink again.  Start by showing your partner what you have written here.  Spend the next bit of time loving your kids.

• Posted

My wife of twenty two years walked out because the alcohol called the shots.  Addictions can rob us of love.  Hold that drink next to a picture of your child, what is more important.  Talk open and honest, people around you and your family in particular really know you are an addict anyway.  I honestly pray that you never have a drink again.  Start by showing your partner what you have written here.  Spend the next bit of time loving your kids.

• Posted

if you insist on doing it alone, the least you can do is tell your friends and family what your intentions are. The minimum it will give you is that you'll feel more reaponsible not to disappoint them, that will give you more strenght. 

In addition to that, no one can support you better than your lived ones. 

• Posted

I can completely empathise with you re Why did I go and buy alcohol when I didn't even have a raving and have stopped for several days. I gave up for seven years and for the last two years have been drinking on and off but once I start I cannot stop . I am now 7 days in and have gone back to AA and am reading anything and everything. I only found this forum last week and it is really helping.

do try AA I don't agree with it all and am no religious but it does work is you get support and inspiration from others. It is a great leveller it is amazing how you may think you have nothing in common with some people but you have, no matter what you are all alcoholics and no one but a fellow alcoholic can understand why we do it or the awful compulsion not to stop like 'normal' drinkers.

i think anything is worth a try.

good luck am thinking of you as we all battle on.

x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.