Please help! Newly diagnosed with uterine fibroids

Posted , 10 users are following.

hi everybody I’m new to this site and this will be my first post. I really need some advice/tips/ help! I’m 29 and i was recently diagnosed with fibroids in March of 2020. Alittle back story: Around March of 2019 I hired a personal trainer to help me work on getting abs. Fast forward to Jan.2020, i noticed that stomach was not getting flatter but bigger, it literally started to look like I was pregnant! I did notice that by this time my period did start to last longer than usual. My period is usually 5 days long and I've always been a heavy bleeder but lately I would spot for 4 days after my period was supposed to be over. So the next day after working out w. my trainer in Feb. 2020 , I woke up to a bulge at the bottom of my stomach. I figured maybe I had pulled something while working out and just shrugged it off. Until it didn’t go way andI went to my GP, he is actually the one who discovered the fibroid and sent me to do a US in March. I was reffered to a gyn and he said its huge. 10cm to be exact. anyways , I’m told that I will need a myomectomy and that I may not be able to have kids. But I really do plan on getting married one day(Whenever God permits to send me my husband) and having a family. Its one of the main things want in life ! But I am not ready for kids right now. I’m not married yet, I don’t even have a boyfriend yet. And I'm feeling like the only option is to get some guy and get pregnant now after the surgery or there will be no chance for me to have kids in the future! And now I have been constantly crying myself to sleep everyday feeling depressed and like I somehow failed. I'm scared and feeling helpless and dont know who to talk to about this. Please help!

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

im unsure what age she was when she had her first myomectomy, but i know she had her second son after that one. Her second myomectomy she had when she was 30 and had her third son 2-3 years after that.

• Posted

Well that definitely makes very happy and hopeful! thank you for sharing that.

• Edited

Try "Fibristal Esmya Women" - but I think you have to be taking Fibristal/Esmya to get in. Another "talk-u Fibristal Group" specifically requires you to enter the DIN# (drug ID number) from the drug packaging.

There are lots of others if you search "fibroid removal," "fibroid support" etc. but you have to be careful - a lot of them seem to be selling something, or focused purely on natural remedies.

This Patient site is one of the best, in my opinion.

• Edited

Hey Fibroid Sister,

I am in a similar situation and have managed the awful monthly periods with heating pads for the really bad days and ibuprofen throughout to help with pain and heavy flow.

What type of my myomectomy are they saying you need? With the most invasive, pregnancy is still likely but you may be forced to have a c-section labor and monitored for possible ruptured uterus during the pregnancy.

Do what you need to to get it out safely and focus on healing well. You will be fine when that time comes for a baby.

• Edited

I'm having an abdominal myomectomy with the c-section incision. The doctor I got a second opinion with said that when I get pregnant I wouldn't be able to give vaginal birth, I would have to get a c-section. I wonder why that is because even if you have a c-section because of other circumstances, you can still TRY to give birth vaginally for the 2nd pregnancy. But I mean if it means I'll have a happy and healthy baby, I guess I'll just do what I have to do.

How long have you been dealing with your fibroids? Are you going to have surgery?

• Edited

Sorry, Alexisbrick- i never got the notification you replied so i'm just now seeing your response! Have you had the surgery?

I just found out last week i'll need a laparoscopic myomectomy for three of my larger fibroids. I was also told i'd be recommended to have a C-section labor than vaginal due to the scaring of the uterus. I've been dealing with them since late 2018 which is when i stopped many years of birth control so they immediately started growing at a rapid pace and my symptoms have just gotten worse from there.

Let me know what your status is! Thinking of you and the doctors for a successful surgery!

• Posted

Yes, I had my surgery last Wednesday. Everything went okay except for me losing a lot of blood. I stayed in the hospital for 2 days and got 2 blood transfusions. I had 4 fibroids in total (the US said I had 2), the doctors said there was one larger one right in the front of my uterus and another large one on the right side. And two small penduculated ones that were morphing into each other. They all were at the top of the uterus. And other than that, he said my uterus looks healthy.

Recovery has not been easy but I'm trying to take it day by day. I believe the laparoscopic surgery has a quicker recovery time. Do you have a date for your surgery?

• Posted

Wow, i'm surprised they didn't see all of them in their tests/exams. I'm sorry you had the bleeding issues but that's great they were able to remove the four and confirm your uterus is healthy! Did they tell you the sizes of your fibroids? Curious where you were at, size wise, compared to me.

No date for my surgery yet unfortunately. My doctor is going out on maternity leave so she's trying to find another doctor in her practice to do it while she's out. The doctor mentioned late August or September timing could be when they could get me in. They are making me do a MRI beforehand too, ugh. Whatever it takes at this point- i'm so uncomfortable all the time and look 3 months pregnant haha

• Posted

The two large ones were measuring 10cm each on the US, didn't ask the Dr to confirm the size when I got out of surgery though. He did tell me that the large ones weighed 3 pounds each.

It sucks that you have to wait for your surgery, I had to wait 3 months for mine because as soon as I was diagnosed they shut down the ORs the next week due to covid. But yes I know how you feel, I looked 4 months pregnant and I felt like I was carrying around all this weight in my stomach, I was bloated, uncomfortable in clothes and sleeping, etc. It was the worse! But as soon as you get out of surgery you'll immediately notice the difference!

• Posted

Wow! Those WERE large. Glad they are out and you're well on your way to recovering from the surgery and blood transfusions.

Thanks- I am very much looking forward to feeling and looking normal again post surgery in a few months.

Take care!

• Posted

Esmya shrunk my 3 fibroids. I think some countries have put a hold on prescribing Esmya, but you could try to get some and do 2 courses to shrink your fibroid without surgery. I wouldn't try to get pregnant until a few months after your period returns though! People have good luck getting it through India mart. you can look it up there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.