Please Help, so scared - Bartholin Cyst

Posted , 61 users are following.

Hi 

Please could someone help me! I have scared myself stupid constantly internet searching and I'm more stressed about this :-( 

I'm 29 and I felt a grape sized lump just under a week ago and went to the Dr. She said it is a Bartholin cyst and I should just try and forget about it!! Trouble is a can't... The uncertainty of what it could turn into is making me a nervous wreck. 

I think it is getting larger too... No pain just irritating knowing a lump is there. 

I have been trying baths, compresses, silica, serrapeptase and avoiding dairy for the past few days. Haven't seen any change yet. Just wondered how long should I persevere? 

I'm also confused about the bursting thing I have read about... Where does it burst from? Hopefully should it drain from the blocked duct? 

I'm so worried and confused it is affecting my job and my home life. 

Any advice, I would be so grateful for. 

Thank you 

1 like, 73 replies

73 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

The cyst will only go away if you can unblock the duct, some people can some can't, it depends what's blocking it in the first place, the surgeon I saw who preped me for surgery last week said best to leave it unless painful or you are having reoccurring abcess with it as it's not life threatening and is not harmful, if you can unblock it then great but I'm trying to look at it as it's nothing to worry about, the worst that can happen is it will become accessed which I know will be extremely painful and not a good experience but it will also get better with antibiotics and hot baths will help more Of it's does get infected and surgery can be performed if really necessary at a later date x
    • Posted

Hi Debbie,

I was wondering how does one unblock it. Lately, I've been massaging it while I'm doing the sitz bath. I read on another forum where someone said she massaged hers and it slowly got smaller so I've been doing that. Honestly, mine does feel smaller today but when I look at it in the mirror the buldge seems to look the same size as before. I will continue to massage it and see if that will really reduce it and I will certainly post an update. I also would like to ask you how long have you had the cyst? I ask because it's now going on 6 weeks for me. Thanks so much!

• Posted

Hi Corinne

I think what your doing helps some people to unblock there's. I haven't been able to unblock mine but just like you mine often feels smaller but looks the same size in the mirror! 

I think I've had mine for about 4 years, I had an episiotomy when I had my son and my gp said it's likely the duct is blocked with scar tissue from that. It's never been a problem, I only really noticed it was a lump about 4 months ago and saw the dr, it was more just a slight mis shape before then so I assumed it was scarring as it kind of sits in between the lines of scaring I have from the episiotomy if that makes sense? It must have grown bigger as I then noticed it as a lump, since then it has got smaller again but I haven't really done anything to help it get smaller, I did hot baths for a week and it stayed the same so I stopped as they were so time consuming, It seems to get smaller if I leave it alone so that's what I'm doing :o)

As I said, I was supposed to have surgery last week on it but the surgoen said it was too small and if it's not painful then best to leave it! x 

• Posted

Hey there,

I was a bit like you overwhelmed with the wealth of info out there, if its not painful it means is not infected which is great!! The draining yes occurs when the duct somehow unblocks and that I believe is helped when you do the tea tree camomile and witch hazel and you gently massage to sooth but it can just happen by its own.  

I did find the serapeptase worked wonderfully for me mine was infected and I haven't had another one since, the time it takes to work changes with each person ... Try not to worry too much hon as its fairly common and there are home remedies to help the draining of the duct along ... Big hugs xx 

• Posted

Hi Claire, 

My situation was very similar to yours! I was 23 when I discovered a grape sized lump inside me about 6 months' ago now (since turned 24) and saw 2 GP's who sent me away telling me not to worry and that it's nothing sinister. 

It was only when I moved country and begged my new doctor to do something, she referred me to a gynaecologist. I saw him last Thursday and he took a quick look and said "the only way to ever get rid of these is to unblock it". In my case, because it's been there a while, he's said he'll make an incision and drain it... Except under general anaesthetic and something about sewing it open... 

I think in England, they're of the "if it's not broken, don't fix it" approach however here in Germany they are really thorough (which I've discovered since moving... Might also have something to do with going private). 

Rest assured though, it's nothing sinister! Promise! Mine is totally painless but like you, I was worrying myself sick. 

Hope this makes you feel a little better... If you really want it gone, I suggest going back to your GP and telling them that it's interfering with your life and you want it gone for your own happiness. 

Good luck and stop worrying :-) xxx

• Posted

Hi claire

i had this a few years ago, mine was walnut size.. Firm painless .. I could feel it though

my doctor said 2 or 3 simple table salt baths daily ..

1. Run hot water in bath 

2. Tip half a mug of table salt in the hot  water to dissolve 

3. top up the bath with cold and hot water to as hot  as you can stand it 

4. Fill to about above top of thigh depth 

5. Get in and try and get the salt water in the cyst area this will unclog the blocked pore and the hot water will draw the fluid out ..

i did this and mine went ... Never returned ...

simple table salt ... 

I could feel my walnut cyst by just inserting my thumb slightly inside and the top of it externally with my fingers .. I gently massaged the cyst allowing the hot as possible salt water in the area and it went .. After a few baths have 2 daily if you can.

if you want more salt .. Its fine to add more ..

do this twice daily for a few days 

jay xx

• Posted

Hi Jayneejay,

I know you addressed Claire but we all can benefit. I am amazed that only table salt in the bath water did it for you. I've had my cyst going on 6 weeks now, the same as you described yours and I've spent so much $$ already on all these other products/treatments and supplements and it's still the same. I just got this silica spray delivered to me and quite frankly it's very difficulty to spray directly on the Cyst so I am going to try using the table salt and see what happens.

I hope Claire gets to read your post. Thanks for sharing. 

• Posted

Hi Corinne

Your very welcome.. It sure worked for me 

Never returned either .. 

Good luck i hope it works for you, should do if you can try and do what i did ..

That was my doctors suggestion and it was perfect for mine .. Gone ... 

Take care

Good luck .. 

Jay xx

• Posted

I have the same problem and its breaking my relationship cause whenever am trying to have sex with my boyfriend I feel pain and sometimes he have to push harder to get in and I have started following your steps I hope they will work for me
    • Posted

I've recently had a grape size cyst for almost a week & i've been trying to get ride of it since the day it came and when i read what you said helped you out i tried it and within a day or 2 mine was gone so thank you for putting this up !! ??

• Posted

Thank you so much! 

I have had the most painful expierience with this cyst I couldn't even talk properly without being in pain. My cyst was the size of a golf ball and the doctor said I had 3 days before I would have to get it lanced. I tried this remedy 2 times and I've just woke up to a very yucky burst cyst but oh my god the relief!!!!

• Posted

I hope you find something that works for you soon everyone is different. I can say for sure the serrapeptase does work and the cyst never goes away completely but it does reduce in size quite a bit which is what happened to me and I stopped wearing tight undies too because the rubbing aggravates the cyst so i would roll up a little toilet paper or use a liner and that helped me a lot. From a personal point of view the silica spray didnt help much when i sprayed on the cyst so i took it by mouth along with my serrapeptase 120000 iu. No miracles happen over night you have to keep taking them for at least a month or more. try not to stress it does play a big part with the cyst.
  • Posted

I don't know why doctors treat Bartholins abscesses as trivial, but they do. Did you not even get offered antibiotics? 

Go back and hassle the doctor! If it bursts, you will get relief from the lump, but that does not necessarily mean that the infection has gone away. Do emphasize the psychological trauma. 

• Posted

Hi i have trouble with getting help off my doctors turned up 4 years ago got told not to worry about if it doesnt hurt, then it grew and started causing pain during sex its clearly visible to see lump as its thats big , all i got was your on list to see gynecologist. This was a month ago not heard anything .Then sunday pain started really bad went to doctors today as couldnt even sit down, was very tender & painful to walk also swelling around the area of cyst . She said its now infected & give me antibiotics (only took 4 years to get some) but tonight im extremely worried as everything is swelling on that side to dont know what to do? Anyone else had this

• Posted

Hey sarah1310 sounds like it's about to rupture. have you tried soaking in Epsom salt as hot as you can stand it? Tea tree oil may help now that it's at this point. I recommend coconut oil and 2-3 drops of tea tree oil and apply until you can't stand it any longer than warm bath. That's how I got rid of my last one. I'm sorry your going through this ... Not sure why dr didn't take care of it already. Prayers for you

• Posted

Thankyou debbeth i have been soaking it warm baths but nothing yet , some of the swelling has gone down in sonr areas and pain has eased slightly my fear is has it ruptured and not come out of me and thats wer the rest of swelling has come from and know is filling back up as hasnt came out , the lump is still there but abit small and z different shape (sorry if that sounds stupid)
    • Posted

Hi Sarah,

Trust me, if it burst, you'd know about it. I have one that just burst about 25 minutes ago from writing this. If it ruptures it will not stay inside, pus and mucus and such would come rushing out of it.

This one makes the third I have had. My last one being 9 months ago and the first being 3 years ago. The first time it burst, the second time it had to be drained and this time it burst.

I use a table salt bath. Hot, hot water and about half a can of table salt per bath (I stock up on salt because it helps with so many things lol)

So chances are, if you haven't felt any fluid drainage between your legs and down the inner thigh, yours hasn't burst yet. It also stinks to high heaven when it bursts.

Run a bath, as hot as you can take it, and only fill it enough so it covers your vagina, and bum and then just lean back and soak for about 30 minutes.

My first cyst abscessed quite quickly, and one bath is all it took and it burst that night. I then, went into the bathroom got down the mirror rinsed my hands in first aid peroxide and squeezed until I got it all out. It hurts like hell at first, prodding and squeezing at yourself but it does the job.

The second one abscessed fast too, and the salt bath probably would have worked for that too, except my entire right side was swollen to triple the size and I was in agony, so went to A&E. They drained that one and packed it.

This newest one, I went to my gynaecologist to have it looked at and she scheduled me for surgery on Monday (it's Saturday now) but it burst tonight? after 2 salt baths. But surgery still needs to happen as I am, apparently, very prone to them.

• Posted

I had to comment because I have suffered from cysts, it's so painful sad even sitting in a car, or even walking was uncomfortable. I'm NOT a health professional, I used to buy what ever was on sale bar soap, I started feeling a cyst forming and decided to buy Toms soap, I bought 2 bars, one for body only and the other was just for intimate areas, within 2 days my cyst went away!!! I could not believe it. TOMS soap has NO Phthalates,Parabens and Phenoxyethanol which most soaps do, and I wish more studies would be made on this. There are many Organic soap companies that sell these type of soaps. I haven't had a cyst since smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.