PLEASE I NEED ADVICE!

Posted , 10 users are following.

I need help... Please... I’ve had anxiety for the last 8 or 9 months... and my doctor has me on meds (Valium 5mg as needed and its helping! i only take it every 3 days to provent addictions) and i have not told my wife because she is very judgmental and not very supportive she think i just need to get over it (anxiety)  but it’s not that easy i tell her all the time =( and she can’t seem to understand that.. but I also don’t want to take/do stuff behind her back im not that type of person I like communication.. what should i do tell her im on meds or keep it to myself? please help.. sad

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Maybe you should began the conversation with your wife by telling her, "I am relunctant to tell you anything that affects me deeply because you are judgemental, but because I love you and don't want to keep anything from you. I would like to share how I feel.  Can you listen without interrupting and try to understand how I feel?"  Or/and you might want to take her to the doctor with you so he can explain your anxiety to her.  She might be afraid to know. Seeing a therapist helps...the feedback from a professional is good. 
    • Posted

I love the approach! I will try this way tonight and post back here the results. 
  • Posted

Hello Miguel

I am an older lady in the UK...but having suffered from Anxiety all my life, I post on here occasionally to try and help others.  After reading your post, I would most certainly try to get your wife to understand what you are going through.  After all, she and your baby are a family, and you need each other.  My husband eventually came to therapy classes with me, and he now understands much more about anxiety.  You DO NEED SUPPORT from someone close to you.

You are quite young to have so much responsibility, and you need to share your worries.

As I have pointed out so many times in my posts, you have to NOT give in.  I have raised a family, worked and travelled the world in spite of anxiety, and have just returned from two cruises.  So there is light at the end of the tunnel.  My preferred med is Fluoxetine.  I believe there is a difference between the word "Addiction" and taking what your body/mind needs to help you through difficult times.  Good Luck.

• Posted

Hi  cruise lady,

.   I could not agree with you more, nobody likes or chooses to take medication but sometimes they are the only answer and can alter your life, and make the difference between keeping on an even keel or going under.

I do not believe that doctors hand out medication recklessly, their first and of prime importance is the health of their patients.....be it mental or physical or both.I believe that most doctors take their profession seriously because they actually care !!.

We have to have trust in their ability and compassion, as a support they can make a huge difference...

Keep trying Miguel, you will get better and come through this.x

Take care always, Deidre xxx

• Posted

Great attitude... Encouraging and sooo true. I took Prozac / fluoxetine for many years switched to Zoloft.. Both antidepressants encourage levels of the hormone dopamine in the brain to cope with anxiety hormones cortisols. It takes a few weeks to become blood level .. Now Prozac can be taken once in a week pill instead of daily.

thanks for sharing.. Great story..

thanks for sharing..

• Posted

He Miguel,

We are on the same boat, Miguel.  Communications between partners is the best policy, always, whether one is like your wife or not.  Hiding something of this nature from your partner, is always a bad policy.

Keep the communications going between the two of you, and things will be better.  Hide something like this from your wife, will come back up from behind you and bite you in the arse!  Guaranteed!

• Posted

hey miguel.  i get it.  totally.  but you don't need to share everything, even if you're close and it makes you uncomfortable not to.  some people don't understand other's anxiety.  my wife just tells me to get over it.  not mean.  no way.  it's just that she doesn't suffer anxiety the way i do so she can't relate.  i work with a behavioral psychologist to help me deal with it, and i do take clonazepam when i need to.  i've always suffered anxiety.  my whole life. i realize that it's more in my genes than anything else.  but i still need to deal with it, and i do.  i function at a really high level.  but the anxiety is just a part of who i am.  sometimes the causes of it are real, and sometimes they're not.  sometimes they're real but i totally exaggerate them and it makes me crazy.  i'm trying to find a balance. 

but it think it's normal that others who don't suffer anxiety the way you do, don't understand it.  it's not you.  it's them.  don't beat yourself up about it.  just try to find the best and healthiest way to work through your own anxiety. 

• Posted

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post! Let me ask you something how long have you been on clonazepam and how many mg? The reason I ask is because I was given 5mg valium and id like to use it once every day but don’t want to become addicted. do you feel you are addicted to clonazepam  I know valium and clonazepam  are in the same family (Benzo) im taking it once every 2 days but will like to take it more often it make me feel good and calm. Thank you =) 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.