PLEASE READ IF YOU ARE SUFFERING FROM HIVES

Posted , 12 users are following.

EVERYONE READ....THIS WORKS!!!! Hello all, I am new to the site as far as contributing but have been reading posts for a few months now. I have had hives for almost 6 months now and as all of you know, it is worse than horrible. I have been to my GP, Dermatologist, Urgent care twice and 1 trip to ER in search of answers or at least some relief. I have been unable to sleep during this entire thing except for an hour or 2 here and there. Until last night. A few days ago I read a post from "hives and thyroid" about her cocktail which she swears works. Yesterday I go to the Allergist still looking for answers and my main concern I will be off my 5th round of steroids since January, and I know it will come back very strong. After talking a while she changed my antihistamine to Doxepin. Hmmm, that sounds familiar...I went home and read the post again and yes, it is one of the drugs that worked for her. Singular I am already on. Thats 2 of the 3!!! The other is Zantac..over the counter. I picked up a box and went home and made my cocktail....Singulair 10 mg. Doxepin 25mg. and Zantac 150 mg. I KID YOU NOT GUYS...MY ITCHING STOPPED WITHIN AN HOUR. TODAY ALMOST 24 HOURS LATER, STILL NO ITCH!!!! The hives are slowly fading as well but they dont itch!! It seems that the combination of these drugs hits all the H1/H2 receptor sites to stop the histamine from being released into the body. The Zantac hits the receptor site H2 which it seems the other antihistamines do not. Zantac, who knew??? I feel like a new person. What a relief. Talk to your doctors and get these 3 meds!!!!! I will keep you posted on my progress...Now to find the cause of it   .btw...Zantac (ranitidine) was first developed to be a histamine antagonist, hence it's use, along with other antihistamines, for hives. Good luck everyone, I know you are all as desperate as I am

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That is fantastic! While it may not work for everyone, you gave us a glimmer of hope! I am doing extensive research on these meds but since I can't take Aspertame (In singular), I may have to go another route.

My other route is not just fixing the symptoms, but addressing the whole immune system. Much slower in terms of results, but no medications. Since chronic idieopathic urticaria is usually caused by an autoimmune dysfuction (once a person has one autoimmune disease s/he might well get another - this is my second) , I have just started on the "autoimmune protocol/paleo" diet, on which I am doing a great deal of research. In one week my bloomings (as I call them) are not quite as intense and I have gotten thinner. I may take 2 months or more to get really good results and it means giving up foods I love as well as fully sharing social occassions - at least for awhile. It causing huge emotional upheavals at this point, but I WILL settle into it.

I suggest that all sufferers look into this as a long term option. Most people who have this are younger than I (76) and have a lifetime to look at. The book I recommend at this point is "The Paleo Solution" by Sarah Ballantyne. Very dense science for 1/3, but you can absorb that gradually. The rest addresses the problem clearly and doably. Look forward to a lifetime of good health.

• Posted

Hi Gingercat....It is now 12 hours since I took my last cocktail and I am still itch free.  Its incredible.  I have to omit singulair for tonight cuz its a once a day thing.  Need to talk to the doc on this one.  Hoping it will not affect anything.  We will see.  Thanks so much for sharing your info.  I am 58 and this is the first time I have suffered with this.  And boy do I mean suffer.  It took the life right out of me.  At least as I go insearch of the cause of this, I can go itch free.  Take care of yourself

• Posted

Another thought Gingercat...just try adding Zantac 150 mg to your regular meds and see if it helps.  Surely it cannot hurt.  The H2 receptor seems to be the one which is not blocked by other meds and Zantec does!!
    • Posted

+1 for a paleo diet helping for me too.

But perhaps I would add that avoiding the highest histamine foods helps too, although mostly the paleo diet tends to be low histamine. That includes seafood, fish if not completely fresh (and that excludes most fish I'm afraid. Spinach, aubergines, Strawberries, citrus, yeast, wine.

Finally, I should add that I've been avoiding benzoates, sulphites, glutamates and recently ribos (Ribonucleotides e635, e627, e631, AKA 'yeast extract'). Actually since finally excluding the latter I don't think I've had a single outbreak of hives. Basically, I eat good simple food that is fresh and has not been tampered with / huge list of chemical ingredients and cook everything from scratch with raw ingredients. Minimal pre-packaged food.

• Posted

Oh, and citric acid (e330) has always been a problem from me since I was young. It causes my cousin to itch his ears until they get infected if it's in shampoo / conditioner. But most people have no problem with that.
  • Posted

I'm really happy you have found some relief. Enjoy it! The side effects of Doxepin do get less with time maybe apart from the acid reflux / indigestion and of course the weight gain. Once things settle down, you might be able to find that taking doxepin every other day, twice a week or even once a week works for you. My hives and pruritus got better from the 1 year mark and 2 years on seems to be going away. I think removing the stress of the discomfort with doxepin helped the recovery. But you might find that life can be slightly tough going with doxepin. You will be drowsy, disinterested / unenthusiasic, low in energy, hungry all the time, dizzy / clumsy, outgrowing your clothes etc... There are lot of unpleasant and inconvenient side effects. But they are worth it in the short-term to get relief from the extreme suffering on urticaria / pruritus. But I do regret not trying to taper the doxepin dose earlier. In hindsight, 3-6 months in, I could have taken half, quarter or less often and still been fine while having more of a life / career. At the moment I am off doxepin completely for about a month. In the end I found taking doxepin regularly at approx. quarter doses twice week at 7pm (so I would not be so drowsy in the late morning). I'd often be asleep by 9pm though.

The past 2 weeks I am trying Paroxetine, an effective SSRI. So far, the hives and even mild rashes / flushing have completely dissappeared. I take fexofenadine in the morning and half an atarax at night. You are right about taking H1 and H2 anti-histamines helping. Montelukast seems to help many but not me. It didn't even help my asthma strangely! But seretonin is another factor in itch. I suspect it is partly the effect on seretonin that makes Doxepin and now Paroxetine effective in my case and probably others. The effect on reducing anxiety is probably helpful too in getting you back on your feet and not over-focusing on the CU which can become all-consuming as it ruins your life.

A low-histamine diet and recently a high pro-biotic and high pre-biotic diet has helped get me back to feeling better than I have since this started over two years ago. I've been avoiding sea-food, fish, most processed foods, aubergine, strawberries, citrus, hard / mature cheeses, wine etc... For pro-biotics I did a course of VSL3 (expensive!) and now just greek yoghurt. For pre-biotics it's raw leek salads, onion salads, asparagus, banana.

I think the anti-depressant has been helpful too, because if you suffer with this for years, it inevitably drags your mood down. Not enjoying the diarhea and early waking insomnia of SSRIs but it's nothing compared to itching.

I think a month away from outdoor after a knee injury helped too. Excercising outside in the pollen wasn't necessarily helping. I might think about switching from running to indoor swimming.

• Posted

Hi Desmond, wow it sounds like you have been through the ringer so to speak.  You are right, it is only a short time fix, band-aid..  I will take it anyway I can get it.  This is the most horrible thing I have ever had to deal with.  If it will at least keep the itch down so I can concentrate on finding a reason for it, I will be happy.  I felt I had to share earlier today after waking up itch free.  Maybe it will help others also.  Today has been one of the best days of my life!!  Take care of yourself Desmond and hope you find the right combo for you
    • Posted

Well, the one useful thing the immunologist did say was that these things do go away for most people over time. I'm not sure I'll ever know what caused it. It followed a nasty stomach bug we all caught in Morocco by about 6 months and came on immediately after a bad winter cold / recurrent sinus infection in January / February that went on for weeks. After that illness, we went for a walk by the river on the first nice sunny day in February and that was when the hives first struck. My face looked like I'd been dragged through nettles.

Doxepin got me over the worst of it, and now a month or so off it, I'm halfway back to my normal weight, after having gained about one stone in weight. It was very tough, especially because it started 4 months before our daughter was born and the first 6 months until I got doxepin were hellish. At times I was near suicidal with it when I hadn't been able to sleep 5 nights out of 7 in a week because of the painful itching. I lost a job to it. It put strain on my relationship with my wife. And of course, the worst thing is that people who don't live with you really don't understand what a terrible thing it is to go through. The first 4 months of chronic urticaria were the worst time of my whole life by far. I remember researching it and going to the A&E department and literally begging them for an atarax prescription. Luckily, my GP has been fantastic. He referred me to immunology who weren't that helpful, but after that he helped me take control of it and has been very understanding and even interested in trying to work out how to deal with this. I'll keep you posted as to how replacing Doxepin with Paroxetine works out. So far, the side effect of early waking insomnia (wake up at dawn) but not caused by hives is a strange feeling. Insomnia without painful itching is nowhere near as distressing. I think the stomach issues and mild insomnia are supposed to go away after the first few weeks. And actually atarax works well to help me lie in when the tiredness gets a bit too much.

• Posted

Hi Desmond....I would love to hear more about Paroxetine.  Is isnt a big sleeper I am taking it???  Doxepin is taking all my energy, but its ok...I am not complaining.  Its is much much better than the itch.   I am now 3 days on it and 95% of the itch is gone.  I still have reddened areas but no itch.  I have felt at times like it is welling up inside me and could break through at any time.  Maybe a little stronger dose of something is needed.   I dont know but when I felt that for the first time yesterday I almost panicked.  I dont think I could go through any more itching.  I have 1 more day of this round of Predisone and that scares me some also.  It always returns and with an attitude!!  Wish me luck and good luck to you my itchy friend
  • Posted

Hi folks! 

Just a note from a recovered CU sufferer. I'm still taking fexofenadine & Zantac, plus quercetin in the mornings. (Very helpful herb which stabilizes the mast cells). But the big thing for me was fixing my vitamin D deficiency, which is one of the known causes of CU. 

Only some sufferers have an underlying autoimmune disorder & the ones they have can vary. Other known causes are a thyroid problem and a vitamin D deficiency (mine was quite severe, due to no supplementation in recent years & steady use of sunscreen,). Very rarely,, CU can have a very serious cause (lymphoma). iIt's good to have the blood tests. For me, I happily experienced steady improvement with the vitamin D supplementation. Now I can even have wine with no problem!

Also, most cases do simply improve over time, though it is certainly one of the worst things one can experience. Good luck with the recovery to all sufferers.

• Posted

Thanks, forgot about quercetin, been meaning to try that, I've read a few positive reports.

I've also been trying local unfiltered honey since some people also said that can train your body to not over-react to pollen. Early days yet, but it certainly tastes nice on yoghurt with blueberries, nuts and seeds for breakfast. 

• Posted

Hello Diotima, what a wonderful sentence to read...."recovered CU sufferer"  I am thinking my CU is likely caused from a Vit. D deficiency as well.  Several years ago I had Vit D def. as I was working NOC shift and rarelly saw the light of day.  Actually I am hoping that is what it is.  I need to find the cause for this so I can get on with life and not worry about pills, creams and itching.  As Desmond said it has been the worst time in his life and I have to agree with that as well.  It completely consumes you and for me the itch is all I thought about..  Well good luck to everyone out there...Help is on its way.  (I hope so anyway)
    • Posted

Hi Debolite! Just a note that you may need to get a prescription for D supplements for 8 weeks or so.  Takes a while to bring the levels up to a normal range.  (I was at 15 with the minimum recommended being 35.)  The supplementation brought me to 40 and I continue to take a regular level of daily supplementation, so that I'm sure it's higher now (particularly after a vacation in Sicily and the south of France, with lots of sun!).
    • Posted

I hope it will be that easy to have a Vitamin deficiency.  lol.  Im also going to pick up Quercetin and give it a try.

• Posted

re Quercetin--it was endorsed by my allergist here in NY.  Very impressive herb. But should be limited to a max of 500 mg per day.  I take a version with a little bromelain and some vitamin C.  I tried the low histamine diet for a while, but no longer need it and it excludes some very healthy foods.  So happy to be off it.  Am still avoiding aspirin and NSaids which can precipitate attacks.  Also found the hist-tame products very useful when ingesting a high histamine food (especially fermented products like wine and vinegar).  But no longer need that either!  Yay.

I elsewhere posted links to the studies on vitamin D and CU.  Well worth remedying any deficiency you might have (for CU and other problems that might have brought you).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.