Please share experience and advice on surgery and recovery

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm having the bunions removed on both feet and both big toes straightened on 19th November (2015). I am only 19 but my pain is unbearable and have tried every other option so have been told my final option is surgery. I am going under general anaesthetic whilst i have both feet operated on at the same time. Im very worried and nervosue and would like to hear about your experiences. I am also worried about the clotting because i have bad circulation in my hands and feet.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

HI there, I am 4 months post op, having done what you are about to do PLUS I had my second toe straightened. The post op pain can be well controlled with medications. Personally, it is the inconvenience of not being able to get around as I used to that got to me.

I, too was nervous prior to the op with thoughts like "what if something goes wrong and I were never to walk pain free again?, etc..... But these are, in my opinion unfounded as most experience you will/hear are positive ones.

If you are anything like me, you may find the psychological/emotional aspects of recovery more challenging than the pain/discomfort itself and this is when this forum is a saviour. Jump on here when you need to vent or ask any questions your surgeon didn't provide you answers for and you will find a warm, helpful community willing to lend a hand.

• Posted

Yes I am soo worried about the actual operation/and anaesthetic (this will be my first operation) and i think like you said, the inconvenience of not being able to get around will really get to me. I live with my boyfriend who i know will be a great help and my mum will also be moving in for a while so i know i will be well looked after, its just the very long recovery time i will be spending alone during the day. Did you have both feet done at the same time? Also how long was it until you could start walking again? Thank you for sharing smile
  • Posted

Hi Jessica,

I am 6 weeks and 2 days post op for bunion. I had just one foot done and wil have the other done in a month's time because I could not take off work and could not be hobbling around on crutches. I had almost no pain, just a little discomfort. Buy ice packs and use them to keep the swelling down. I am at work now, walking with no limp or pain at all in my foot. Back to 100%. I am 2 months away from my 60th birthday, so if a 60 year old can heal in 6 weeks, so can you. Only thing is soft tissue damage takes a huge amouint of time to heal so make sure that you are having keyhole surgery (minimally invasive) or your skin and muscle will be taking longer to heal than your bones!!!

• Posted

Hi, thank you so much for sharing! I am a little nervous about being able to get around, having both feet done, can i ask how long was it before you could walk on your foot with put feeling too much pain? Thank you again
    • Posted

I walked out of the recovery room 30 minutes after the op. Without crutches of cane. The Doctor told me to walk on the heel and outter side of my foot. So I was never incapacitated. It will be more difficult with both feet done.
    • Posted

Oh wow, thats good! Yes I'm sure I will have to use crutches to get around for quite a while, and the post-operative shoes hehe
  • Posted

About your op, don't worry a thing about it. I went in for mine, they prepped me and held the mask over my face. I listened to the nurses chatting away, and chatting away and chatting away. When are they going to do the op???? I opened my eyes to see that I was in the recovery room, I looked down, my toe and side of my foot had a small bandage on! All done and dusted without even noticing it. :-)
    • Posted

Ah that doesn't sound too bad smile Thank you for reassuring me, I feel a lot better smile
  • Posted

Wow Jessica, that is a very serious surgery which surgery are you getting??
    • Posted

I did one foot 3 mos ago, and it was challenging because for 6 weeks it could not touch the Floor, you will need lots of support afterwards, good luck with the surgery, which you will not feel a thing, and you go home with pain killers, which in my case I only needed them for 4 days, you will be fine, but prayers never hurt, prayer God does your surgery, gives the surgeon wisdom, a MN d surrounds the operating room with his angels, that was my prayer, good luck, have all your computer chargers and crossword puzzles, books, close to you, smile
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your kind words :-) I have already started getting my puzzle books ready hehe smile thanks again
  • Posted

Osteotomy just means that you are going to have a bone cut. It can refer to the foot, leg, hip, etc.

Have a look at this; http://www.footeducation.com/surgical-procedures/bunion-hallux-valgus-procedures-bunionectomy/chevron-osteotomy-distal-for-hallux-vallgus-bunion/ it will relax you a lot.

• Posted

Thank you :-)

I have got the name of the full surgery notes in writing but its difficult handwriting to read so will have to check the exact procedures when i go for my MRSA screening on the 4th. I know i am having the two bunions on my feet removed and also the bone cut and straightened on both big toes

• Posted

Hi Jessica, As far as the operation is concerned you won,t feel a thing, everyone feels  nervous about an operation. You will be sent home afterwards with painkillers I would suggest you take them as soon as the anaesthetic has worn off if not before This will keep you pain free. There is no point in suffering if you don,t have too. I learnt the hard way and took my meds too late. I am now 11 weeks post op with a bunion removal on one  foot. The worst part is the recovery it's soooo boring so line up some good films to watch. Keep your feet elevated as much as possible and use ice packs to reduce  any swelling. If you listen to what your doctor tells you you will be fine.

It will all be worth it Jessica. You will have bunion free feet. 😀😀😀😀😀

Good Luckxx

• Posted

Thank you for your advice Carole Marie smile I have subsribed to netflix so will have plenty of films and series to watch :D Thank you again smile Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.