Please share experience and advice on surgery and recovery

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm having the bunions removed on both feet and both big toes straightened on 19th November (2015). I am only 19 but my pain is unbearable and have tried every other option so have been told my final option is surgery. I am going under general anaesthetic whilst i have both feet operated on at the same time. Im very worried and nervosue and would like to hear about your experiences. I am also worried about the clotting because i have bad circulation in my hands and feet.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi Jessica im day 34 post op from a lapidus with 6 screws and a plate on one foot.i too have been told I have poor circulation in my feet but haven't had any issues from clotting.just remember to do knee stretches and you should be okay! if you have family history of clots I'd talk to your dr of you should do more.all in all I was a nervous wreck before my surgery.the pain was really bad for me but after week 2 the pain became so much less and more predictable.make sure you have lots of help at home especially since ykjrr having both done.have tons of ice packsto rotate SL you always have frozen ones.the best advice from my Dr was stag ahead of the pain game and don't let yourself get into bad pain before taking pain killers for the first few weeks,constant elevation, and ice! of you have anymore questions just ask but you'll be okay truly.I'm only 20 and like you its scary to do this type of thing as I never have before but its the best time to do it when were young we'll heal much faster.do you know what kind of surgery you're having or of you're weight bearing at all?
    • Posted

Hi, thank you for sharing, it truly does help me a lot hearing everyones experiences and advice. I will make sure to have plenty of ice packs. I will be living with my boyfriend who I know will take good care of me, also my mum is moving in for a while so i know she will look after me :-) I cannot think of the names of the procedures taking place but as soon as i find out i will get back on here! Thanks again :-)
    • Posted

oh and ibuprofen has been really great to take its kept my swelling down a lot from the start.and once you don't need the pain killers just taking that is helpful.
  • Posted

I am day 3 after bilateral scarf akin osteotomy, and also a bunionette. I can honestly say that there there has been no pain, just mild discomfort which feels like bruising. I was extremely nervous after reading all the bad pain comments so have been very good and followed my surgeons instructions to the letter. I have taken the meds at certain times, instead of waiting for the pain to begin. Mobility is getting better and the use of a walker has been a great help. I think my biggest problem will be boredom!! 

Everything has been exactly as described by the surgeon , so have faith, it's not as bad a all the reports I have read about. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again 

• Posted

Thanks for sharing, all these postitive replies are putting me at ease :-) I agree the boredom I think is really going to get to me. I have heard a lot about people taking the meds at certain times before the pain kicks in as then it is a lot more comfortable. Thanks for sharing :-)
  • Posted

Hi Jess,

I hear your concerns!

It took me 12 years to get around to having mine done and in this time my left toe also started becoming quite painful hence the decision to have both done at the same time. I'm 33 years and have stayed pretty active but in time found my bunions to become quite painful. I reached my decision as felt it was the right time to act on it.

I'm just coming upto 3 weeks now and finding myself being able to ( side of my feet ) half walk about in the home and manage the stairs better. Don't think the doctors would approve and would prefer you to use your funky shoes. Ha.

Recovery is the key I feel and the first 3 weeks are crucial. Have you thought much about where you will recovering once back home? My partner surprised me by putting my bed in the front room however this was a really good solution to accessing the kitchen, and generally feeling more like I was able to see outside and had more light coming through. I did buy a second hand wheelchair as it would of got expensive to keep hiring £20 a week. This was purely so I didn't try and use my feet at all.

Have you got someone to help you around the home? Or friends or anybody you can rely on to come and see you and get you necessities?

As part of recovery elevating your feet and calves for at least 2 weeks really worked for me! My consultant was really impressed I'd kept the swelling down ( I still thought they were swollen and bruised day 14 mind! ) and you'll know best how your feet should look. Even now I can see improvement and don't think you'll be ready in week 3 as this also is crucial time to making sure you still rest and keep feet and calves elevated when you can. I have started going out in the chair occasionally with my partner and have full appreciation for people with permanent disabilities now. It's quite amusing on how the general public perceive you and treat you. A lot of people are kind I found!

Hope this helps! Best of luck with your op next month. Let us know how you are getting on. Personally I found jumping on the forums helpful and interesting to learn how everybody copes and has different experiences!

Kind Regards Nici

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.