Please share PCO/YAG experience

Posted , 32 users are following.

1. How long after the surgery did you get diagnosed with PCO and when did you get the YAG?
  2. What were your symptoms of PCO?
  3. Did YAG clear the PCO symptoms or did nothing to improve vision?
  4. Was any special method for YAG used such as the cruciate method?
  5. Did you have non YAG posterior capsulotomy instead?
  6. For those with multifocal lenses did near vision not improve after YAG?
  7. What are the post YAG complications you faced? (floater, glare etc.)
  8. Did you address these complications? (vitrectomy, etc)
  9. If do you not have PCO and not had YAG and are still reading this and have had surgery more than 3 years ago then how long has it been since the surgery.

0 likes, 153 replies

153 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Seems like you posted a while back about the doctor you would have do your YAG. Would you mind sharing again?

• Posted

i have only spoken with kugler and safran about YAG. safran said he would make a large hole. did you visit him again to increase the size of the posterior capsular opening? i am undecided but may go to Wills eye's dr. Blecher. if you are in florida you can try Basscom Palmer hospital. cruciate method is where they make a cross in the middle and let the capsular flaps float backwards. non YAG method is surgical intervention for posterior capsular opening. done prior to YAG days or for children at surgery immediatly following iol implantation. was your visual acuity impacted by PCO for it to improve?

• Edited

One thing i don't understand...so capsule is shrink wrapped to the IOL by the time you go for YAG. You hit the capsule through the IOL and make the X pattern. What if the flap of the capsule stays glued to the IOL? What the hell then?

Will they keep hitting it? Won't that start damaging the IOL? Do IOL manufacturers even test their IOL to see if they are YAG proof?

• Posted

Thx. I saw Safran both times. It's interesting/unfortunate that we not only have to worry about the edge of the IOL but also the edge of the capsulotomy! Yes he did increase the size of the opening. I only had trace PCO in this eye (RE) so I can't really answer questions about PCO. My YAG was for Maddox rod effect. I want to get my vision tested to see if/how it changed after the second YAG. It seems like either astigmatism increased and/or I am more myopic. I noticed this change as soon as the dilation drops wore off.

• Posted

Can you help 're my reply to socks above please. Beryl - Unlike you all I am going with NHS and aren't able to get to talk to them except for unfrequent appointments.

• Edited

hi w-h, i didnt read this message earlier. but i wondered the sane thing about capsule sticking to the iol and also about the vitreous gel hitting the iol. my mom says that after yag a piece of capsule would stick to the iol and would go away on its own. she says they did another yag which cause retina to detach. dont know if this was a floater or a capsule flap.

• Posted

1. How long after the surgery did you get diagnosed with PCO and when did you get the YAG? -- 5 weeks. no YAG yet.
    2. What were your symptoms of PCO? -- halos around lights got weird flow in it. concentric circles got smudged. without the smudge the circles are very pretty. near acuity impacted around 3-4 months. i could see 3 large cell like structures in the innermost ring against glasses reflection or through barely open eyes against light. around 10 months a right side tail for lights. stop light expecially green one became scattered dots. note cataract also affected the green light the most. distance acuity getting affected. earlier i could blink to make it clear. now it no longer gets clear.
    3. Did YAG clear the PCO symptoms or did nothing to improve vision? -- worried it wont and then exchange will no longer be an option
  • Posted

Soks,

Sorry to jump on your thread, but I am going in for Lasik on the eye with my Restor 2.5D IOL in a few weeks. This is to adjust the outcome from my original surgery (~ 20 months past) by +0.75D. I wear contacts periodically to make this adjustment and it has helped improve my vision in the ~10ft range without sacrificing my distance, so I think this is a good option. It's also free instead of ~$3,000 USD because adjustments were included with the multifocal IOL.

However, at the same appointment where we made this decision, the doctor mentioned my PCO and said he'd schedule YAG a month or two later to remove it. My quandary is that although I know that he can see the PCO, I don't actually notice anything negative in my vision that would lead me to request YAG at this time. On this board, I have heard of some negative results so I'm leaning towards delaying this surgery until I notice something negative in my vision.

• Posted

I would not have a YAG if you don't have any symptoms. There is a grading scale for PCO from 0-4. Did dr by chance tell you what yours was? I didn't notice anything in my right eye with grade 1. My LE with grade 2 is noticeable.

• Posted

i agree. vision is very gradually affected by PCO. unless it is impacting. no need to yag.

• Posted

He was kind of nonchalant about it. He noticed some "tissue" and wanted to do the YAG to get rid of it. No grading. I am going to hold off on this until it affects my vision. I'm sure I'll need it eventually but unless waiting makes the procedure more difficult, I don't see the reason to do it now.

• Posted

Won't people who had fast spreading cataract also have fast spreading PCO?

The surgeon cleaned my wife's LE capsule the best possible without risking a capsule tear. Next day after the OP the surgeon said accidentally that my wife had polar cataract so let us see how dirty the capsule is 1 day post OP, but on checking the files he started saying Posterior Subcapsular Cataract. It got me confused and scared for the right eye which had not been operated at that point as polar cataract has higher capsule tear chance...

When he checked the eye he said it is not as bad as he had thought. Very light.

Far/RE's capsule on the other hand was crystal clear on next day post OP check.

Btw is polar cataract completely different form Posterior Subcapsular Cataract or is it just a subset of it?

• Posted

To my question-

Posterior polar cataracts are characterized by well-demarcated white opacities in the center of the posterior capsule. These opacities often project forward as cylinders penetrating into the posterior lens cortex.

Etiology

Posterior polar cataracts are typically congenital and autosomal dominantly inherited.

Symptoms

Most posterior polar cataracts are asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic. However, over time posterior subcapsular (PSC) opacities may form around the posterior polar opacity. As the PSC progresses, vision may be severely affected.

Posterior polar cataracts pose a unique challenge for cataract surgery. The rate of posterior capsular rupture is significantly higher in these cases. The posterior capsule is weakened around the posterior polar opacity and in some cases there may even be a defect in the capsule.

• Posted

you are correct. posterior sub-capsular cataracts is type of cataract more prone to early PCO. and the damn thing starts in the center of the visual axis.

you bring up interesting points W-H. posterior polar cataract is completely different from posterior sub capsular cataracts. i kept repeatedly asking that question to every surgeon i met as i was super freaked about polar cataracts. polar cataracts are also congenital in most cases. the lens just compensates for its presence until they interfere when presbyopia kicks in and the lens can no longer compensate. polar cataracts are also usually accompanied by a weak capsule hence the risk of tear.

• Posted

Derek, just know that Lasik can cause starbursts and other visual aberrations, and most folks I know who got lasik, while basically content that they did it (of course...they have to accept it in the end), they are still wearing glasses. One says her whole family got lasik and they all need eye re-wetting drops now all the time.

If it were me I'd stick with contact lenses if they work. Minimal inconvenience.

• Posted

I wonder whether surgeons at initial consult actually let their patients know what type of cataract they have. I never knew. Makes me curious to see my file. thinking back all he mentioned was eczema treatments (was having a bad flare up at the time noticeable on my hand) accelerate cataracts. Mine did affect vision quickly from one year's regular optometrist appt to the next.

• Posted

my optometrist did when i asked him why the hell do i have a cataract at 41? surgeons did not but it was on their report. the report said i have both posterior sub capsular and nuclear age related cataracts. now that is just fantastic! my optometrist appointment was march 30. everything was fine and dandy. i didn't let him dilate as i never had him ever before. july i was diagnosed with left eye vision badly impacted.

• Posted

derek same as you. optho sees beginning of PCO but i notice nothing. How long can we wait to do YAG?

• Posted

i had peripheral pco at 5 weeks. mild pco at 7 weeks. vision was not impacted at the time. Around 17th day the light halos started to show a flow. vision was gradually impacted with near going first followed by intermediate. at around 10 months nightime green stop light got distorted. earlier i could clear the blurriness by blinking. now i cannot. i can see the pco if i see at light with barely open eyes. it looks like circular cells. u can wait until it bothers you. yag can scratch the iol. some doctors do yag again to blast floaters. yag has retina detachment risk for younger males.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.