Please share PCO/YAG experience

Posted , 32 users are following.

1. How long after the surgery did you get diagnosed with PCO and when did you get the YAG?
  2. What were your symptoms of PCO?
  3. Did YAG clear the PCO symptoms or did nothing to improve vision?
  4. Was any special method for YAG used such as the cruciate method?
  5. Did you have non YAG posterior capsulotomy instead?
  6. For those with multifocal lenses did near vision not improve after YAG?
  7. What are the post YAG complications you faced? (floater, glare etc.)
  8. Did you address these complications? (vitrectomy, etc)
  9. If do you not have PCO and not had YAG and are still reading this and have had surgery more than 3 years ago then how long has it been since the surgery.

0 likes, 153 replies

153 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

How long after the surgery did you get diagnosed with PCO and when did you get the YAG?

over a year, got yag a year later, grade 2

What were your symptoms of PCO?

blurry near vision, need more light too compensate, just like a cataract

Did YAG clear the PCO symptoms or did nothing to improve vision?

restored near vision

Was any special method for YAG used such as the cruciate method?

yes

Did you have non YAG posterior capsulotomy instead?

no

For those with multifocal lenses did near vision not improve after YAG?

yes

What are the post YAG complications you faced? (floater, glare etc.)

floaters weren't an issue but glare seemed to increase for some reason--you think it would be the opposite but apparently removing that thin membrane can have an effect on how the light is seen by the retina so it can in theory mask issues that become apparent post yag as well as improve things too.

Did you address these complications? (vitrectomy, etc)

no, not much they can do. However, it seemed that my doctor used significantly more pulses and higher energy than another doctor i asked so not sure if that caused problems or not or if it was just how much was needed to vaporize the tissue. Procedure is easy but i keep thinking when is he going to be done

If do you not have PCO and not had YAG and are still reading this and have had surgery more than 3 years ago then how long has it been since the surgery.

• Posted

1. How long after the surgery did you get diagnosed with PCO and when did you get the YAG? 1 year
    2. What were your symptoms of PCO? Slight hazy/foggy vision in daylight
    3. Did YAG clear the PCO symptoms or did nothing to improve vision? Day vision clear
    4. Was any special method for YAG used such as the cruciate method? Yes cruiciate method used.
    5. For those with multifocal lenses did near vision not improve after YAG? Near vision remains good
    6. What are the post YAG complications you faced? (floater, glare etc.) Now I see along with severe starbursts on lights (which has been there since surgery) flairs of lights (following the x pattern) extending out way past the regular starbursts.
    7. Did you address these complications? (vitrectomy, etc) Surgeon suggested pilocarpine, no other YAG procedure as capsule is open.

The question I do have is did the YAG damage the IOL, if not why do I see these extended starburst flairs in the x pattern? I have not been able to ask that question yet. I see him again the begining of December. All in all, not happy I had YAG done.

• Posted

Komiko, sorry to hear you are not happy with the YAG X starbursts. I hope the clearer vision is at least a relief.

Do you have a multifocal or a monofocal IOL? One, or both?

I know virtually nothing about YAG but it might help to know if the X pattern you see is in the same axis as the laser cuts your surgeon made. If it is, perhaps it's from the cuts? The first thing I just read mentions pitting in the IOL from the laser, which with the cruciate method is in the center of the visual field. I truly don't know, just raising the question. Will be interested in hearing what your surgeon says in December.

• Posted

thats interesting. what i am seeing since surgery could be the anterior capsularhexis edge rather than the lens edge. my arcs/circles start as a flare and extend beyond normal starbursts.

• Posted

I have a symfony. Honestly think the laser damaged the lens. Why else would I have this? It wasn't there before the YAG. It makes it much more difficult to drive at night. Good thing my right eye still has my natural lens (although the cataract on it is getting worse). I'm going to hold off on having that eye done until I absolutely have to.

• Posted

Mine is a definite X pattern, lines are perfect to each other, extending the starburst line all the way across my vision.

• Posted

if the iol gets etched with the X then it is ridiculous.

• Posted

More than ridiculous if true.

• Posted

The lines I see are from 10 o'clock to 4 o'clock, and 2 o'clock to 8 o'clock. Wish I had a computer program where I could illustrate. A perfect x pattern. The surgeon I saw (after the debacle with the original surgeon) was highly recommended and a specializes in more complicated eye conditions. I could have lived with the PCO longer but he said doing the YAG might also clear up some of my night vision issues, a 20% chance that it would make things better. He had me come to his other office where he had his "special" laser where he could use the minimal amount of laser energy. When I went to the follow-up post YAG, he had an emergency earlier and his waiting room was packed. They were rescheduling people. I was able to get in, only for a brief visit. Told him what I was experiencing, he wasn't happy, but didn't explain why the x starbursts were there. That's when he suggested the pilocarpine drops. I was leaving for Florida early the next morning and he said to call him when I got back for a script. I haven't done that yet. It appears the drops are expensive and even with my insurance I don't think I can afford them right now. So I'm waiting till my next appt. to talk about this issue in more detail.

My daytime vision is not impacted. My distance is still off by around -.5 diopters (although when eye tested with charts they always say I'm 20/20 , and my near vision is still great with the symfony. So I can't really complain about that. Just wish I could see at night without being blinded by starbursts.

• Posted

Also, as an aside, this surgeon will NOT use Symfony lenses any more in his practice. He said he's seen too many people with issues. I saw a bunch of Symfony charts and advertisement type posters in his storage room when I went to his other office.

• Posted

Please keep us updated Komiko.

• Posted

it appears that he wants to constrict your pupils with pilocarpine. anything oustide the range of the constricted pupil will be avoided. but at night you will have constricted pupils so less light. i buy 0.1% alphagan from india for 5$ for months supply. pilocarpine and alphagan are at least $60 to $80 a month in the US. however pilocarpine supposedly permanently reduces/stiffens the iris. but pilocarpine is risky for retina detachment for people with long eyes. (as told to me by dr safran, 2 weeks ago). glad ur near vision is great with Symfony.

• Posted

He told me that after maybe 6 months of using the pilocarpine that my pupil would probably stay constricted and that I would be able to discontinue it. I really don't want to go that route, as there already is a big difference between the symfony eye and my natural lens in my night vision, I don't want it to be any darker. Right now I'm living with it, oncoming headlights are the worst, sometimes I'll just close my left eye until they pass. I'll mention the alphagan at it doesn't appear to be permanent, and I could use only if a long night drive.

• Posted

"after maybe 6 months of using the pilocarpine that my pupil would probably stay constricted" - i was told this by two surgeons. richard maw and safran. dr. safran said pilocarpine is more effective at doing this than alphagan. dr. maw said 1 year to constrict permanently.

"already is a big difference between the symfony eye and my natural lens in my night vision, I don't want it to be any darker." - i know what you mean. i was driving home last night after day light savings work at 3.30AM and i struggled to make a left turn. just couldn't see the road even with one natural eye. it was like pitch black. i do want my pupil to be smaller by 1mm forever.

you could try lumify. it is even more mild form of brimonidine tartrate. the active ingredient in alphagan. lumify is OTC. lasts only 3-4 hours. but it has BAK preservative which is known to be harmful for the eye.

• Posted

Following soks as I have these questions too. surgeries were July and August 2017. No signs of PCO in RE but believe PCO or increased astigmatism reason for blurry vision in LE.

• Posted

Please visit an eye doc to get it checked and monitor where things stand.

• Posted

Will hold off till January. Have a 2 week cruise coming up and don't want vision issues. Thankfully both eyes open I see fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.