Please tell me it gets better

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi

I'm male 35 and have battled with low mood and anxiety most of my life.  I had a big breakdown just over 2 years ago and have not been the same since.  I have tried to battle the depression and anhedonia on my own without medication until now, I got prescribed Fluoxetine just over 2 weeks ago I'm on day 16.  My depression got so bad i started to consider suicide, I am also paying privately for therapy and I am signed off work sick.  I am currently staying at my mothers house because i do not like to be alone

This being my third week on flux I am really struggling.  I have no appetite, insomnia and no energy.  I constantly have gloomy thoughts about the past and the future.  Suicide often makes sense but I'm not going to act but I can't go on much longer. 

The depression and anhedonia seems worse but I'm hoping i did the right thing by going on these tablets.

I have spoken to my doctor and as i expected they said you just need to wait, and gave me the number of the crisis team and samaritans

Any positive responses would be much appreciated right now

Thank you

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

My stressor seem to all be in my head. It's mainly guilt and grief about rejection and failed relationships and anxiety about the future. I'm trying really hard in therapy but I think I need to put it on hold because I'm too ill.
    • Edited

We all have different paths that have led us to this illness, and usually it is stress from something that has caused it.  You'll think completely differently when the meds start to kick in.
  • Posted

Took some promethazine to help me sleep last night and I did sleep but could get out of bed till 11

Been dosing on the couch today but then started getting horrible thoughts about killing myself and I told my mother

Finding it difficult to believe I'm gonna get better

I really hate myself I just want a life :-(

• Posted

It helps so much when you're able to sleep.  Remember these thoughts aren't the true you ....... they're part of the illness and medication.  Scary as they might feel, try and just let the thoughts come and go but understand they're temporary and only a side effect.

Talking to your mother is good.  When my son was ill I told him he could tell me anything, anytime as it wouldn't bother me.  I didn't want him bottling it up.  Both my children know I have an 'open door' with them.  I'd do anything for them :-)

It really is hard to believe you'll get well.  There's never a light at the end of the tunnel to be seen - but it is there.  I was plagued by scary thoughts, daily, and I also didn't know how I'd ever not be scared of them.  They don't bother me at all now.

You don't hate yourself - I imagine it's how you're feeling that you hate.  I felt the same - I just wanted the suffering to stop, as it wasn't living.

These meds will help.  It is quite unbelievable, and I couldn't believe it either when I started recovering.  These meds were a miracle for me.

K x

• Posted

Doctor is ringing me back today

I have been on the floor screaming and crying today I can't take much more of this

• Posted

Oh bless you xx

My son went through the same on these meds.  He spent a long time in bed under his duvet, shaking and had many tears.  It's so wretched for you.  Such a painful and frightening experience to go through.

I have read that Escitalopram is another SSRI and works quicker with less side effects if that's any help.

You will though get through this on Fluoxetine though.  

K xx

• Posted

Doctor still hasn't rang me back xx
    • Posted

Thinking of you and praying for you Chris.
  • Posted

Doctor has increased me 40mg. I'm terrified
    • Posted

Might be a good idea to see your doctor on a weekly basis too to update him.

80mg is the maximum dose, so that's still only half.  

Can you ease onto this dose?

• Posted

I'm just going to get on with it

My doctors surgery is a nightmare!! they call u back, however today they didn't call and I had to call at 5, the claimed the tried to call.. Utter bs

Any way doctor told me to take two instead and he'll ring me in two weeks!!

They have far too many patients, my last surgery unfortunately got shut down, thanks gov

I'm changing surgeries ASAP

• Posted

This is my bug-bear - the lack of help with this illness for people.  Dish out meds and see you in a couple of weeks.  Famous last words.  Those 2 weeks can feel like 2 years for some people.  It's not good enough.  

They failed my son when he needed help and I had to turn into the pushy mother.  I wonder when doctors will wake up and realise that having depression, anxiety and then having to deal with these meds alone is an absolute nightmare for many, and more support should be available.  Most people also find more answers on this site from ordinary non medical people than they do from their own doctors, who are supposed to provide answers and care.

That's me on my soapbox again 🙃

Yes sadly just too many people and not enough doctors, beds, support etc.

K x

• Posted

I complained of increased anxiety and suicidal thoughts 3 weeks in on 20mg..

The doctor has increased it to 40mg, does this make sense. I feel even more anxious and thinking about suicide again

I spoke to the crisis team telling them I was feeling suicidal and they said maybe the doc should change your meds!! What the hell!?!?

• Posted

Hey Chris. Forsure it sucks. I'm right around 14 weeks and felt so bad around that time. My psychiatrist gave me some backup if needed klonopin but have stayed away from and just went with it. It's definitely a difficult time and I don't get why it does that. I am stable right now but fragile. I don't have any magic words but it just took along time for me. I have heard so many different stories. Some immediately, some 1-2 weeks. 4-6 and with me, 8-12. Had considered alternative such as CBD oil or a Vap form, or pot as its now legal here but haven't. I've done so much research but this all takes time and wanting to here from others there experience. I'm praying for you for relief and getting back to yourself.
    • Posted

Mmm if you'd reported the way you felt to your doctor, he should be seeing you weekly.  I don't think I'd have increased the meds if you'd reported feeling that way as they do heighten your symptoms to start with, but I'm not a doctor so would expect him to know what dose is best.  The main thing though, whatever dose you're on and you're feeling 'vulnerable' then you should be seen weekly.

If you've upped your dose then you may possibly have more side effects for a while, but they will ease off.  It's often like starting over again, though of course the bigger dose may be more suitable in the long run.

These feelings will wear off, but I know how hard it is at the moment.  Keep on pestering your doctor and the Crisis Team - you need follow up appointments.

K x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.