Please tell me it gets better

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi

I'm male 35 and have battled with low mood and anxiety most of my life.  I had a big breakdown just over 2 years ago and have not been the same since.  I have tried to battle the depression and anhedonia on my own without medication until now, I got prescribed Fluoxetine just over 2 weeks ago I'm on day 16.  My depression got so bad i started to consider suicide, I am also paying privately for therapy and I am signed off work sick.  I am currently staying at my mothers house because i do not like to be alone

This being my third week on flux I am really struggling.  I have no appetite, insomnia and no energy.  I constantly have gloomy thoughts about the past and the future.  Suicide often makes sense but I'm not going to act but I can't go on much longer. 

The depression and anhedonia seems worse but I'm hoping i did the right thing by going on these tablets.

I have spoken to my doctor and as i expected they said you just need to wait, and gave me the number of the crisis team and samaritans

Any positive responses would be much appreciated right now

Thank you

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I think i started feeling better after about 4 weeks ..ive never actually cried with my depression its like my body just went into shock i remember thinking i hate waking up everyday and having to stay strong to try and fight it ..my mind just couldnt switch off and im usually a happy go lucky person..ive cut a lot of people out my life who are no good for me ..the disappointment of certain people bring you down..how it feels now the tablets have kicked in is like all the stuff that caused me to be depressed isnt the first thing i think about anymore it feels like its moved away to another place i dont feel so much pain when i think about certain things..ive set myself little goals to aim for ...i found taking my tablets just before bed works for me i wake up a bittired but ok after a coffee lol ..for the first time in years ive planned a holiday i would have had no intrest if it wasnt for these tablets ..i feel like the longer im on them they are giving me my life back..
  • Posted

Thanks Tara that's really helpful, hopefully my fog will lift in a few weeks.. I can't imagine wanting to go on a holiday ever right now, well done
  • Posted

Hi Chris

I know what you feel. U have to give the med time to do the work. It's a slow progress. I was on 12 weeks on 20 mg b4 my anxiety left but still light headed though. Doctor up my doses to 40 mg and in now on 7 weeks at present. Side effect will slow dissappear. I had bad insomnia on first 3 weeks i can only sleep 2 hours then u feel like u been sleeping but ur mind is so active.the doctor give me tablets for sleep for a month i only took 10 tablets and i sleep ok now. I promise u will get better. This site is help me a lot.

Think positive everyone is defferent so just hang in there.

Pame

• Posted

I'm struggling today. The had thoughts won't stop, I need to get better 😢
    • Posted

Hi Chris

The bad thoughts are a side effect of anxiety and depression.  They will stop eventually and won't bother you.  The first few weeks are tough xx.

Everyone has bad thoughts, but usually they don't bother us and are normal just fleeting.  When you're anxious or depressed, your mind becomes tired and thoughts stick to a tired mind.  They can seem scary, and are often out of context, seeming huge.  Once the meds start to kick in and you begin  to recover, so too will the thoughts.  They will go.

I was plagued by bad thoughts, and even ordinary thinking was always negative.

You will get better, even though you can't see it or believe it.  I was the same.  When you're in that dark scary hole it's difficult to see a way out.  The meds will help soothe the anxiety, lessen the depression and the thoughts will become less intrusive.  Eventually it will all stop.

I never thought I'd get better, and after 15 years of illness I recovered on these meds.

Going out for a little exercise daily ie walking, cycle...... helps whilst you wait for recovery.  Also try and take a calm attitude to life in general ... walk slowly, drive slowly, get to bed early, eat well (if you can).  Try and accept it will be tough for a little while, trust in the meds, remind yourself you're not well and these feeling are temporary.  Remind yourself you WILL get better.

You will xxxx

K

• Posted

Hey Chris. Thanks for keeping us posted. I've also has many days struggling. Because of those days you will have a indescribable Joy coming. I know this from going through it. Seems like it will never end but it does. Weird to say but I'm thankful for the struggles to gain strength and experience. Only those who go through this get it. Keep us posted often.( Prayer's)
  • Posted

Thank you

I got my mam upset earlier saying I don't want to live, it's just because I'm so tired and I don't really want to hurt anyone but it's hard to endure weeks of feeling like this

Most people say they don't see improvement till the 5th week

I'm thinking of swapping taking my tablet to night time because I seem to feel tired almost sleepy through the day

I thought the crying spells would have stopped by now

I guess I just need to be patient

Thanks for your help

• Posted

Definitely worth a sit down and truly explain what and how your feeling and your working hard on it. I switched things up with times and for me, no difference. People will be more understanding explaining just what your going through especially ones that haven't ever gone through such a tough experience. Again seems like it takes forever. A week seems like month or more. Trying the time switch may for you make a difference. Here for you
    • Posted

My son went through this too.  He had a melt down over 18 months ago and was put onto Fluoxetine.  Having suffered this myself was hard enough, but watching my young son go through the same was heartbreaking.  He couldn't work for nearly 4 months and didn't want to live either, with one near incident.  It was so stressful which was when I decided to go back onto Citalopram (similar to Fluoxetine) so I could cope (I'd been off them for a year).  

Im now glad I had the experience of suffering this illness because I understood exactly what he went through.  He was very, very ill and it was a struggle ........ 9 months later he was completely well and continues to be his normal happy self again.

I know you feel you want an end to this suffering, and believe me, it will stop.  Us mums will do anything for our children.  When you are through all this, you will be a stronger, happier person.  It's like being reborn.

This meds works very, very slowly and you'll think there's no improvement, because it's hard to see.  But very slowly things happen.  The crying will cease, followed by the anxiety easing and the depression lifting.

Please believe you will get through this.  Listen to those of us who've been through it.  I've seen the same pattern you're going through right now, time after time ..... and it leads to recovery.

Just keep on taking the meds.  Accept everything that's happening at the moment - it will be tough - but it will stop.  Take the meds, on and on, pushing on, however you feel.  You won't see a goal in sight, but we'll keep assuring you that it's there.

Remember you have an illness.  You can't help whatever is happening at the moment.  Your illness is being treated and you will recover from this.

I promise that it gets better.

K x

• Posted

The days are so long when you wake at 4:30 in the morning :-(

I'll be seeing my doctor for my 4 week review on Friday and likely a sick note. I really want to see some improvement by then. I hear its best to stick to the same dose for about 6 weeks before increasing, which I really want to try and do

But I still have the feeling that this isn't helping and I may have to move up a dose :-(

• Posted

Hey Chris. Thanks for checking in. It took me quit a while to get some relief. I was expecting way sooner and as you know each person's different. I do right down something daily to look back on.
    • Posted

Don't put pressure on yourself to be well by a certain time, because when you don't reach that goal you'll feel despondent.  These meds work so slowly - and I mean really, really slowly that you'll hardly notice anything.  However if you look back you'll see really small changes.

Dont rush recovery either.  A larger dose doesn't necessarily make you better any quicker.  These meds will take their own sweet time.  Yes you may need a larger dose, but you won't know until you've been on this dose for a while.

You will uncomfortable for a while yet.  Remember, if you had a broken leg it would take a long time to heal and will hurt.  Even after its started to heal you'll get twinges and will take months before you're on your feet.  

Its the the same with this illness.

These meds really will work, even though you won't believe it yet.

• Posted

Thanks people

I feel so bad today, I thought I felt some improvement yesterday but this morning I feel really low and wish I was dead

:-(

Such an unpleasant feeling. Oh my God

• Posted

Hi Chris

This is how recovery works - it comes in waves - up one minute, down the next.  This is normal.  You'll have many times when you feel despair, despondency, hopelessness ........ just go with the feeling, it's temporary, it will go in time.

Ive been there, I've phoned the doctor and sobbed down the phone, I phoned Samaritans one night too as couldn't take it anymore ........ but I'm here, recovered and enjoying life immensely.  

You will get over this.  It gets easier.  Hang on in there whilst you wait .... you will recover from this.

K xx

• Posted

Did you get lots of bad memories about your past and negative outlook on the future? When did your sleep and appetite get better?

I managed to drive over to my house, feed my fish and go to the shop for milk but I still feel awful. Got the most horrible headache and I feel so tired

I rang the crisis team and they just told me my thoughts and actions affect my mood, well if that was the case I wouldn't be here! They said do something you'd normally enjoy but thats one of the reasons why I seeked treatment because all the pleasure has been gone for years!

They said the doc might increase my dose after 4 weeks but I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not. I'm so confused I just want to get better and not bother anyone and not want to hurt myself

• Posted

My appetite got better after 4 weeks. I'm much better don't get so anxious but still have a little blip from time to time.
    • Posted

Having a negative outlook is all part of the illness.  I never got bad thoughts about the past but just could not see a way forward at all - thought I'd be stuck like that forever.  

Sleep and and appetite improved after a few weeks, but for some people it can be much longer.  It will improve.

Yes your thoughts and actions do affect your mood, but equally this illness is affecting your mood, and the mood makes you think negatively.  Doing something you enjoy does help, but I know that whatever you do won't make the blind bit of difference (at the moment).  When I was having a really time once, my friend said what I needed was a nice holiday.  I thought 'you have absolutely no idea'.  How many holidays had I been on when ill?  I simply took the illness with me and brought it home again.  You cannot step out of it by simply doing something ..... but you can of course do what you'd normally do and carry on as normally as you can whilst you wait.

When you have this illness you get trapped in a cycle.  Anxiety, depression, negative thinking, giving you more anxiety, depression, negative thinking ....... and so on.  These meds slowly ease the anxiety, the depression lifts and so to does the negative way of thinking.  

You cannot think clearly as your mind races, and all negative thoughts will lead back to feeling anxious.

When you're ill there is no pleasure in doing anything at all - not even things you love doing.  When I was recovering I had absolutely nothing inside me - I couldn't feel any joy.  I'd smile on the outside, but there was nothing on the inside.  I felt I was just existing, not living.

I wouldn't increase, not yet.  Not even after 4 weeks.  This awful illness will get better - the anxiety will go, the depression will lift and all the negative feelings will go too.  They will be replaced with feelings of happiness, and just joy at just being yourself again.

Many people have followed the same path as you, have felt the same as you and asked the same questions too.  Me too.  I never thought I'd get better.

Just keep taking the medication, take each day one at a time, know each day you're getting nearer to getting better ....... however hard it gets, just keep going.  It really does get better.

My son had it worse than me - he was terrified.  He's now a happy young man and is living his life to the full once again.

This will be you in time to come. xx

• Posted

Hey Chris. I'm 13-14 weeks now on Fluoxetine. Definitely a slow process but also I'm much better than I was. I will be going to a psychologist for added theropy and have been working hard on eliminating all the stressors I can and people I just am not comfortable around. Continued reading of others testimonies and giving mine. Your on your way to getting your joy back and I know it sucks alot. One day at a time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.