Please tell me it's okay - 10 weeks post-op TKR

Posted , 15 users are following.

Had another person today give his unsolicited opinion that he was amazed that I am still using a crutch 10 weeks post-op TKR.  I can limp around at the house and some at work, but if I go any distance - walking without the crutch really fatigues my leg and causes increased pain. I am walking more and more without the crutch, but my therapist said until I could walk fairly normally - I should still mostly use the crutch. I still feel like I have a tight sleeve around my thigh from about the knee to mid-thigh. ? What say you? I am doing okay?

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

How many knee replacements did this person have????   As it has been said on this site many times, you knee will heal when it heals and it is different for every person and every knee.  

I am 9 months post TKR and I got fed up with people who never had their knee replacement tell me things like "Oh, someone at work was back doing marathons a month after there knee replacement!!!"  I called BS on that one.  Or my friend was back playing tennis after 2 months!!!   REALLY???  Ok, good for them...but that wasn't me.  

I think you are doing great...there was NO WAY at 10 weeks I could of gone back to work (I am retired so I didn't have to thankfully).  Hang in there and just ignore all those unsolicited opinions.  

• Posted

Well said Mat we r all different and if someone is  bragging that they did this or did that at that stage well that was them if it’s true we are all individuals and each one of us is different we all heal at different stages

Alimarie if you need your crutch use it get your  confidence to a level that you feel comfortable with then start using a walking stick stay positive keep strong and do what your body tells you x

• Posted

Oh mat, your so right, I just said more or less the same as you to Alimarie, I try to ignore these people.....the stories about walking with no crutches and running after 2 weeks 🙄😡etc....but it's not easy as their stupid comments sets you thinking about them even though you don't want to for that day at least....I say power to us for carrying out this gruelling operation and remain to do the best we can....good on you all and well done , hugs to all 👏

• Posted

We are all different I've still got to use a walking stick for long walks everyone is different people saying o my tkr is fine when it's all healing inside you are doing great mat.xx

• Posted

Thanks! He said his wife had both done, and she was walking without devices much sooner. ...”Great. Make me feel terrible” is what I thought. 
  • Posted

Hi Alimarie,

I am with you girl on this....this person who said this to you today, did he have a TKR??? I bet not....it sickens me when people who don't know what they are talking about think it's ok to throw out these remarks, why can't these people just ask how you are after your major operation (((*(where your knee was sawed off and had a prosthesis drilled in, )))why do they think it's ok to make you feel bad by these stupid reparks.....I'm still struggling every day since I had mine done 3 months ago, but I'm ready with my answer if anybody thinks it's ok to put me down, 10 weeks is early days girl, I don't feel any better than I did before I got it done, so I'm going by other remarks I read on this foram that it may take 12 months before I feel better...I'm on your side Alimarie, 💖💝?

• Posted

Yes  Rosemary  some people talk an absolute load of rubbish if they had a TNR  they would not be doing things in 6/8 or 10 weeks  they are just bragging or they have  just been very very lucky to be able to do the things that they loved we all now know it takes at least 12 months for your knee to settle down for you to feel that you can get on with life the way that you want to  we had ours done on the same day I have good days and I have bad days the pain today has been unbearable  I now realise that I can’t drive too far because that makes it hurt all the more  i’m glad I’m not in the pain that I was in before the operation but the pain I get now I just wish it would go lots of burning which I hate but I know that is the nerves knitting back together again I do lots of massage on the day when it feels hot and burning just hoping it make some difference but the most thing I miss is going to sleep at night and not keep waking up every hour to get out of bed to get my knee moving to get back in so that I can lie  in a different position I’ve tried pillows but I could not get on with them  The other problem I have is that I need my left knee doing but the thought of having that done at the moment is out of the question so I’m trying to keep that on hold until I know my right knee will then be able to support my left knee my Dr said give it another couple of mth and if I’m still  struggling he will refer me to see a different surgeon because I discharge myself from the one that did the operation I have said from day one that I did not think my knee was  right so it’s just a matter of time and wait-and-see we have to be strong and keep positive but it does not help when stupid people make stupid remarks 
    • Posted

Well said rosemary some people think they know all about tkr when they not had it done. I still get stiffness and I had mine done 31st Jan this year n still get some pain.xx
    • Posted

I had mine done on Jan 31 also, got second opinion yesterday an this surgeon said I should NOT be hurting an stiff like I am, so he's going to do arthoscopic  surgery for arthofibrosis, which is scar tissue, and he took blood to check for infection.  He listened to to me , but he never talked bad about my original surgeon.  Maybe finally, I will get something done to take this pain away.   Good luck to you.

• Posted

Thanks Kathleen! I’m learning by negative examples what NEVER to say to someone after surgery.
    • Posted

Thanks Rosemary! He said his wife had both knees done. And everyone always asks who my surgeon was ... like that’s going to explain why I’m not doing better. But then I tell them, and they all know he’s the best around. So they just look at me like I’m rather pitiful? Grrrrr.
    • Posted

I often wonder why people voice their opinion when they know it's not going to help....

Are they showing off and boasting about how great they are???? Not giving any thought to your feelings?? Or do they say things deliberty knowing it's not nice.the question is WHY would you do that to someone....maybe it says more about how they feel about themselves.....I have come face to face with these hurtful remarks too and not just about TKR, you take care of yourself and remember not everybody is insensitive, (nearly everybody)😏stick with the nice one's avoid the nasties, and make up a great answer for the ones you can't avoid.....ie...if they question your crutch, say something like...I was dancing last night and over did it a bit, or I need to go shopping and until my muscles build up again I need to stay safe...that'll shut em up..look at your watch when they start to bore you with how well his wife was, I know it's rude but he's been insensitive, works both ways 😀

• Posted

Did his wife have a heart transplant at the same time?. Some people are strangers to the truth.
    • Posted

Haha! Good idea! I think I’ll come up with a doozy of a story! ;^)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.