Please tell me it's okay - 10 weeks post-op TKR

Posted , 15 users are following.

Had another person today give his unsolicited opinion that he was amazed that I am still using a crutch 10 weeks post-op TKR.  I can limp around at the house and some at work, but if I go any distance - walking without the crutch really fatigues my leg and causes increased pain. I am walking more and more without the crutch, but my therapist said until I could walk fairly normally - I should still mostly use the crutch. I still feel like I have a tight sleeve around my thigh from about the knee to mid-thigh. ? What say you? I am doing okay?

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Well said all. I’m just coming up to 5 months post rtkr. Some days I feel fine and then other days Ive got pain.  Everyone is different and recover differently ... good luck xxx
  • Posted

Sounds like your doing great hey I am still using my cane after 11 months I am not comfortable walking long distance without it . It's all about what your knee is telling you and how you feel EVERYONE HEALS DIFFERENT AliMarie do what's best for you no matter what other people say God Bless

• Posted

Thank you Michele! I do know lots of people who have seemed to recover more quickly, but I’m doing everything I’ve been asked to do, and I’m working full time.
  • Posted

You will recover when you recover, everyone is different. Many people recover in a few weeks, BUT ONLY ON FANTASY ISLAND. Watch the op on youtube and you will realise haw serious your surgery was and why it can take quite a while to recover. I was off work 6 months with each knee, that was nearly 20 years for the first and 18½ for the other. No problems since.

• Posted

Everyone is different! I do know that the tape and around my thigh riding the bike helps me just a thought period I think you need to do what’s best for you and not worry about what anybody else says! Good luck with your healing and this too will come to an end
    • Posted

Thanks Lorri! I ride my exercise bike 15-25 minutes twice a day. And I’m doing all my exercises.
  • Posted

First, you know that everyone's different...that there is no "normal" on an individual level.  The tightness (a "band-like" feeling) may persist up to a year or more as it decreases gradually...almost imperceptibly.  One day, you wake up and it's gone.  Getting rid of any walking aids is also very individual but getting your ROM to 0 / +120 plus starting the muscle rebuild both help a great deal.  The musculature supporting the knee needs to be exercised so as to return to its pre-op state.  That takes a lot of months .  The biggest thing to do is to STAY SAFE!  Start weaning yourself off the aids as you get stronger but make sure you're OK with that.  With the muscle rebuild comes strength and balance.  You will know when it's time to discard the aid.

• Posted

Chico - Thank you much for your reassurance! I know I never thought I’d be using a crutch this long, but here I am. Still working consistently on strengthening and range.
  • Posted

Do what you want to do, when you want to do it.  Nobody's damn business......

• Posted

Most people who tell you what you should be doing at any stage of recovery are talking through their rear end. I was back at work 6 months after my tkr, and I consider myself to be one of the few lucky ones. Some take much longer, treat your recovery as a journey not a race, proceed at your own speed, you will get there in the end. Do your physio and exercise as often as possible but don't over do it, use your medication to control pain much easier if you are not in lots of pain. Perhaps some who recovered in a few weeks were climbing Everest two months later, or playing professional rugby, or even ski jumping. They are talking Bull excrement.

• Posted

You are doing fine , no one understands the pain of this op unless they have it! I still use a stick at 9 months when walking the dog incase he overbalanced me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.