Plz update us on Sclerotherapy results

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello all,

I have had a failed hydrocelectomy. I am very interested in the nonsurgical alternative available through Dr Levine in Chicago and several others in Utah. Could those who have had the procedure please post updates on your condition and if the fix lasted. I am sure there are many besides myself who are interested and the postings and follow up reports from people who have had are are sporadic on this forum.

Lets hear how you are doing and what the procedure and immediate aftermath were like as well as longer term results.

Thanks so much

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks for your feedback abh. I will beg to differ on your confidence. I already had the surgery and it did not last. After a year, the problem returned. I went to an experienced Kaiser urologist using the Kaiser surgical clinic. First, within days of the surgery I came down with a terrible flu. In my weakened condition, the flu dammed near killed me by itself. Given the timing, I likely caught the bug at the surgical facility. That is, after all, a place where sick people pass through. The same would apply if I had gone to the mayo clinic.

Indeed, it did take about a month to feel like a human again. Aside from the flu, that month was an experience that varied from miserable to ghastly as far as I was concerned. So now I have another guy in a white coat telling me the same thing as the first one did. Surgery will fix it all, once and done. Each time I repeat this barbaric procedure I increase my chances of an even more serious exposure to an antibiotic resistant superbug. The best to be said is the the new hydrocele now fills much more slowly than the first. I will likely get this one drained and see what happens. If it refills as slowly as this post surgical version has I can probably get by a nice long time before the next draining.

Can you tell I am not a fan of doctors & medical science? 😃 Superbugs themselves are a side effect of negligent dipsticks doctors passing out antibiotics like candy even to people with viral ailments that cannot possibly be helped by such meds. Doctors are also the heroes of the opiod epidemic that is ruining or ending many lives. I am sure there are more such stories that I am not aware of. As I grow older and get more and more exposure to Doctors and their treatments my dismay and disdain is soaring at what I see and experience. I do not say all this because I am a big follower of natural medicines, herbs etc. I have tried and found them to be a big waste of time over many years. Alas, doctors and medical science are often not much better IMHO. End of rant. 😃

• Posted

Had my follow up today at the 2 week mark. He thinks approximately 60cc has returned but not sure if that could have been from the initial first few days after aspiration. Im scheduled to go back in 3 months. My options are aspiration, surgery, or aspiration with alcohol or doxycycline because those are readily available. he has done schelorotherapy on other things but not a hydrocyle.

• Posted

Thanks for the update. So, about 15% refill in two weeks. Will look forward to the 3 month report.

• Posted

I'm about 3/4 back to when I was aspirated. I will be looking at aspiration/sclerotherapy and will post what the dr decides..

• Posted

thanks for the update. Looks like it took a good 7 months to mostly return. My own suggestion is that I would not undergo such a delicate procedure from a DR who has never done it before. Thats just me

Good luck. Keep us updated

• Posted

Been about 14 months since the first aspiration. Just had it done again without sclerotherapy and 440cc was drained. I'm thinking I'll try it on the next aspiration. I may drain it myself in a few months first.

• Edited

Had aspiration and sclerotherapy about two months ago with Dr Levine for a 350 CC hydrocele. Took some time, but after two months, it's completely normal again. I will update in the future, but so far very happy I did not go the surgery route and it seems to have worked really well.

• Posted

That's very encouraging to hear. Keep us posted in a couple more months. I was recently told by a new primary care physician that these things often correlate with having a vasectomy in the past. I had one 20 years ago. Not a word from the Dr who did the procedure about this as a side effect. Be interesting if others here would report if they had vasectomy too prior to hydrocele.

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.