PMDD and Perimenopause

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm curious. Did you ladies have PMDD while you were younger? I always had very bad PMS symptoms of fatigue, depression, migraines to the point I'd have to take naps. Now these seem nothing in comparison to peri symptoms. But I'm wondering if having PMDD is a factor is having such a difficult peri.

3 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I didn't really have pmdd. Now I am 46 and going through perimenopause. Really bad headaches every day,unbelievable fatigue and depression and anxiety. I am writing this now as I have just woken up from a horrible sweat 😣 Can't wait for all this to end.
    • Posted

I'm 46 also and going through same thing. I feel like I'm going insane.
    • Posted

I now realise I've been going through it for a few years. The last 5 months I feel like I'm abnormal. Pressure headaches every day and all day. Not sleeping. Anxiety really bad,with constant panic attacks. Depression,weak legs,tinnitus you name it. Even crawling skin feeling.
  • Posted

I've never had pmdd but this Peri is kicking my butt! I'm having everything from anxieties to lower back and leg pains! Fatigue, confusion, dizziness, mood swings ,hot flashes and even elevated high blood pressure!
  • Posted

I believe if you had PMDD before peri, peri intensifies it. Peri exacerbates anything you had before it.
  • Posted

How did they treat your PMDD? I'm curious because a doctor told me once that I wasn't in peri since I'm still having regular periods every month but that my symptoms could be due to PMDD.
    • Posted

You could have PMDD. But your doc was wrong. You can be in peri and still have regular cycles. Some women have regular cycles up until they stop. My aunt did. She had regular cycles until her last one lasted almost a month and that was it.
    • Posted

Yeah, I have heard of stories like that where women have regular periods and then just like that their periods stop.
    • Posted

I've had PMDD I think ever since I started my periods so I thought that's how it was. It was only after my peri started I started researching and realized I had PMDD. All these years of going to doctors and I never even heard the term PMDD so it went untreated.
    • Posted

Wow! Did you used to have severe cramps, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite? I had debilitating cramps. If I was out someplace I had to go home. If I was supposed to go somewhere I had to cancel my plans. I even loss jobs because of attendance. This would be the first two days then the rest of my cycle was normal.
    • Posted

Yeah plus these sinus migraines that was a whopper. Would mark calendar every month and not plan anything. But I thought that was normal!
    • Posted

Yeah I used to think everything I experienced was normal for me. I have two sisters who never suffered like me. I knew not all women suffered like me but I just figured everyone was different and that was just the way mine behaved. After I had my kids all that simmered down. Then I started experiencing what I thought was really intense PMS and then after I joined this forum I realized it was all peri. My peri symptoms seem to get worse the older I get. I hope I'm close to the end of this ride. I'm 42 and I've been having peri symptoms since I was about 26 when I had to have my right ovary removed and that was before I had my kids.
    • Posted

I can relate to that. After researching peri, I realized I was having symptoms since I was 35. My cycles were every 23 days instead of 28, heavy bleed, clotting, headaches, night sweats, extremely sore boobs, bad back aches, swollen legs and feet, a ton of weight gain so bad that I developed high blood pressure, insomnia, and severe fatigue. Dry skin, dry hair and scalp, and skin changes. I thought it was normal pms. This was constant for three years until November 2015. The hard symptoms has started, the strange thing is most of those symptoms have stopped now there is a ton of other symptoms that are freightening. I will be glad when it's over. Don't know how much more this body can take.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.