PMR and life expectancy

Posted , 12 users are following.

After months of diagnosis failure for my initial PMR experiences, I thought my time was coming. Like most here, Prednisone was a miracle, and the second miracle was remission, 18-20 months later. 

I subscribe to several medical journal ticklers, and read occasional studies of the correlation of some inflammatory diseases (RA, lupus, fibromyalgia, eczema, vasculitis) and longevity. Some of these describe some correlations.

Has there been a study or examination of the correlation ( if there is one) for PMR and longevity?

Thank you, in advance, for this information. It may be a bit of a downer, but I hope not.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

This is something I'll be interested to hear what people say.

• Posted

Not me!  I'd rather stay innocent.  It might scare the death out of people and CAUSE an eary demise!!!

• Posted

That was my very thought, Constance. There are always other factors no matter what is stated.
  • Posted

That would be very interesting to know.......  I am now in my third year of prednisone.....  and have become aware this year that my general health has now deteriorated markedly.... overweight, lack of stamina, tendinitis poor sleep, slow walking, fatigue......  and  the realization that I have had enough of this.... I still work physically ....And though I would love to reduce my hours even more I cannot afford to.... so when one considers the alternative as (Winston Churchill said when he was in his nineties,  ) my own personal feeling is that I would like to be out of it....
    • Posted

You've a long way to go Ricky, don't despair - PMR doesn't kill. It also, at sometime or another, goes into remission.  Imagine if you are looking down 'from up there' and learn you would have had a good 20 or 30 years of good life and no pain.  Wouldn't you be sick!😀

• Posted

You have a point there...I do hope you are right!  Thanks For the encouragement :-)
    • Posted

When I was diagnosed with pmr and GCA the doctor said that I could be glad that it is not life lastning and after 1 - 1 1/2 year I would be free from it. Well, it took 3 1/2 years but after more than 8 years I am still OK. The "trick" is to take it slowly and not risk any flare ups that usually prolong the period. It would be great that sufferers realize this

• Posted

You do have to be grateful at least that this is a disease of the elderly (medically speaking that is over 55) and we have had a pretty good life first. Lurk for a while on a lupus or vasculitis form where they are sometimes in their teens and 20 or 30s when they become ill and have little or no chance of ever holding down a "proper" job - you will soon realise how lucky we all are.

• Posted

Take heart. I had ME following a nasty virus. I thought I'd never see 40 never mind 70 as I head towards it. I worked through it even though my husband had to pull me out of bed some days. I never gave up but thought it would never end. Stairs felt like a mountain climb....not that I've climbed mountains. I don't know how I got through it but I very gradually realised that I could do a little more without being wiped out and in pain. It will get better even though it may not seem like it now. I had several years of ME and thought I'd never recover. I gained my full energy again and the pain finally went. All the palpitations, dizziness etc went too. 

• Posted

In all the 8 years post pmr does that mean you no longer have any pain?
    • Posted

i will do some lurking and maybe emerge grateful... !  
    • Posted

I was lucky and had very little pain while I had pmr and GCA and during the last 8 years I have had not pmr- related pain
    • Posted

I am glad for you that you were able to overcome the ME  in spite of all.   That is very encouraging.   
    • Posted

Thank you. That's what has given me hope for PMR going in to remission. I realise that being retired has helped and 2 years down the line I'm at 3.5. Sometimes it's been difficult but I feel I'm improving though not being complacent as I know it can come back and bite. I have a friend who had PMR for 15 years and it has now gone in to remission. She is normally full of e energy so that gives hope for the future.

• Posted

Interesting though Silver - I had what was almost certainly ME when I was about 26/27. It went away eventually but the fatigue persisted for a long time. Then in my 30s I had sweats and fatigue that my gynae thought might be pre-menopause (no such luck) but HRT made a major difference. It was a couple of years after stopping HRT that PMR appeared. I do wonder what would happen if I tried HRT again...

I hope I'm like your friend though - 13 years and counting so far :-(

• Posted

I was nearer 40 and I think it was more debilitating than PMR because there was nothing to take to ease the pain and fatigue. I was unable to plan anything.... just went to bed when I got home from work. It took a few years to go away. I took cod liver oil capsules and ate lots of oily fish. I stopped eating meat because I went off it completely. One of the consultants with whom I worked took blood as she hadn't known anybody get better when I was starting to improve. It seems that fish oils help and I just followed what my body was craving. It's amazing how my friend has recovered so well from PMR and she had a number of flares. I hope it goes in to remission for you, Eileen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.