PMR and life expectancy

Posted , 12 users are following.

After months of diagnosis failure for my initial PMR experiences, I thought my time was coming. Like most here, Prednisone was a miracle, and the second miracle was remission, 18-20 months later. 

I subscribe to several medical journal ticklers, and read occasional studies of the correlation of some inflammatory diseases (RA, lupus, fibromyalgia, eczema, vasculitis) and longevity. Some of these describe some correlations.

Has there been a study or examination of the correlation ( if there is one) for PMR and longevity?

Thank you, in advance, for this information. It may be a bit of a downer, but I hope not.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

There is work that established that PMR doesn't appear to reduce life expectancy. I have seen claims that neither does GCA - less convinced about that though since it can lead to various cardiovascular problems including aortic aneurysm (which should be screened for), and stroke if not managed well. There is also an increased risk of developing peripheral vascular disease and if that isn't identified and managed optimally it can lead to long term problems.

There is, of course, long term morbidity associated with pred use - hence the doctors' fear of them. But personally - I'd rather have a reasonably decent life for my 50s/60s and worry about the other if it happens. Ignoring whole body inflammation, even at low levels, increases the risk of developing certain cancers. So it is a balancing act.

• Posted

Haven't we been told that the inflammation causing PMR/GCA can cause other more lethal problems?  I'd say it's a wash.  Pred gives us quality of life at the same time as it seems to age us.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.