PMR and osteoporosis.

Posted , 14 users are following.

My Gp called me yesterday to say my dexa scan results are back and they show osteoporosis. He's asked me to have some blood tests then see him next week to discuss results and start Alendronate. Im really wary of starting these tablets because of the nasty side effects so wondered if anyone had experience of them that they could share.

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I take AA for osteoporosis and haven't had any problems.  As to

the choice to take it.....I've heard horror stories on both sides.

Some for taking and and some for not taking it.    My doc said

he could treat l0,000 women and not have a problem.  My sister

passed away some years back but had osteo and couldn't take

the AA because of stomach issues and when she died she had

no less than 7 fractures in her back.    I think age is a factor for me.

Im 79 and don't want to have to deal with any fractures before

I go to take the big dirt nap.......you just have to make an informed

choice that works for you.

• Posted

Thanks for your helpful information Faye, I'm 57 and like you don't fancy the fractures😟
  • Posted

My rheum was pushing Prolia on me for osteoperosis, so I did some research. Your bones normally shed old cells and grow new cells. The drug stops the shedding of old cells so they build up and your bones become denser. But, that doesn't mean they are stronger. In some people they become brittle and break easier. Plus, you can only take them for 5 years. Then what? Some dentists won't work on a patient who is on bone drugs because of the possibility of the jaw dissolving problem. A lot of docs are pushing a natural approach to bone health, which is what I am trying, lots of greens, fruits, herbs, walking, exercise and a bone health supplement. 
    • Posted

Thanks Annie, yes the jaw issues did give me cause for concern as I've just had some root canal work done (dentist noted bone loss in my teeth after starting prednisolone)....seems like perednisolone has a lot to answer for but couldn't move without it....feels like we are stuck between a rock and a hard place haha! I usually eat a lot of fruit and veg exercise regularly and take calcium and vit D supplement so it appears non of this has helped my bones thus far 😫 
  • Posted

Depends a lot on your actual T-score.  I was told I had osteoporosis but when I got my actual numbers I have osteopenia - and it is NOT recommended that OP medicines be given for osteopenia.  My doctor still wants me to take AA but I've said no.  Instead I have become very knowledgeable, if I do say so myself, about the /nutritional supplements that must be taken, I make sure to walk every day (have a pedometer to keep track and act as incentive), every few days I wear a weighted walking vest.  I already do yoga and physio exercises but have also been learning tai chi and recently took up Nordic walking. The walking, the tai chi and the Nordic walking have all been shown to have a beneficial effect on bone density.  If you would like me to priveate message you my little essay on my osteoporosis journey I would be happy to do so!
    • Posted

Anniecurd, Nordic walking is walking with poles.  It's supposed to use more calories (not my problem) assist in balance (again, not my problem) and increase upper body stength (I can use that) as well as improving bone density (my reason for taking it up).  
    • Posted

Faye, I was quite healthy and used to moderate exercise before PMR and in fact one of the main reasons I finally pleaded for proper care from a doctor was the gradual loss of being able to do exercises I'd been doing for years (never mind all the daily activites that were becoming more and more difficult).  rolleyes
    • Posted

This is my problem also.... I.was used to working out, cycling, pilates, but I am afraid of increased activity because my muscles will hurt.  Hopefully, someday.....soon.....I will be able to do go back what I enjoyed doing.  I am on 7 1/2 mg  prednisone and doing okay, but not painfree.

• Posted

Yes Anhaga I will check my t score with Gp next week, good idea about the pedometer and think I will check out other forms of exercise near me. I'd love to read your essay...how do I get your details from here?
    • Posted

I'll private message it to you.  Please note that this is just my own research and opinions, I have no medical training, so if you see anything you disagree with or would like to change, just tell me!  It's an ongoing journey, and I keep tweaking it.
    • Posted

Hi Erica, I got so frustrated at my level of inactivity and struggled to do the simplest of tasks... it was really starting to get me down so I started slowly walking mostly as I couldn't move my arms initially.. then once I could manage hanging my washing on the line I started back at the gym 10 minutes cycling,cross trainer and walking with no resistance. It was remarkable how much better I felt over time. I just need to work out the best way of helping my bones now and strengthening my muscles....possibly by increasing resistance but there are some great ideas coming through on here
    • Posted

Thank you for sharing your experience about getting slowly back to an activity level which you can tolerate.  I will try the same this summer.  I started walking for 20 minutes 4 times a week which I know is so important.  I started with a soft red band for certain arm movements for a short period of time which I can tolerate.  There is hope......!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.