PMR and osteoporosis.

Posted , 14 users are following.

My Gp called me yesterday to say my dexa scan results are back and they show osteoporosis. He's asked me to have some blood tests then see him next week to discuss results and start Alendronate. Im really wary of starting these tablets because of the nasty side effects so wondered if anyone had experience of them that they could share.

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Why is it that most of us PMRers were super busy and energetic before being struck down? It sounds like we definitely weren't couch potatoes. In my case I think something was telling me to slow down.
    • Posted

Yes there does seem to be a common feature here Annie! But have to admit to big couch potato..ness in the early days of PMR even had pain doing a Jigsaw !!
    • Posted

Well, sorry to say....I'm the exception to the rule.  I was never

one to exercise a lot.  I used to go to water aerobics and my

husband and I walked sometimes but definitely no

over achiever in the world of staying fit....

• Posted

Hi Handbrake,

Me too.... Doctor wants me to start Forteo daily injections.

I started researching it and found several sites that say bad things about all the synthetic drugs for osteoporosis.  Saying only 10% increase but makes bone more brittle later???  Now I'm so confused on who to believe. I certainly don't trust doctors who want to push every drug down me now. 

At 55, and used to be fairly athletic I'm am surprised at the diagnosis, but last 5 years I have struggled to keep exercising regularly.

So, now, I'm unsure what to do. 

• Posted

My doctor wanted to start me on AA when I got a diagnosis of low bone mass after starting prednisone.  I said no.  She was fine with that, sort of.  But later she attended a workshop on osteoporosis and seems much more concerned about me turning down the drug now.  I wonder who sponsored the workshop?  Anyway I do not trust any of the OP drugs and research has been done that shows that natural methods can improve bone mass.  I suppose if your t-score is very bad, or you've already had osteoporotic fractures, that makes life more complicated.  
  • Posted

There are a lot of books and websites written by doctors who are proponents of strengthening the bones naturally. They tell you exactly what to eat and do. 
  • Posted

Hi all,

I've said this before but my GP who is awesome said no one is winning a nobel prize over these drugs and he would respect me more not taking them. My rumi is pushing and so was hubby so I took 1 round of a weekly dose and was sick ass a dog. Since then I've read more and a sure fire no way.

• Posted

My rheumy pushed it, too --- they go by the book, and want to be right.  It is us who have to take this dreaded and somewhat controversial medication.

• Posted

i took aa never felt more ill in my life stopped them carolk
  • Posted

Today has been my day from hell. Out of prednisone and pain medicine. I hurt everywhere. My skin is on fire and my head is throbbing. So happy I can see my doctor tomorrow. My discouragement has hit rock bottom. 
    • Posted

Never, but never allow yourself to run out of pred...  I keep

a careful check of supplies and when I get a little down

I'm on the phone with doc's office......Hang on.....you can

do one day standing on your head.......

• Posted

My pharmacy ran out until Monday and I was left holding the bag and suffering. My pharmacy is closed on Saturday and Sunday and I have nothing I can do about it. Makes me angry and hurting to the max.
    • Posted

Wish you were nearby I'd sure lend you some......and....

I get so angry when a pharmacy runs out of a very common

med.  No excuse for that.....Pharm closed on Saturday and

Sunday....where do you live????

• Posted

I live in the USA in Utah. This is just a little small town pharmacy. I may have to change to a bigger one 20 miles away. I will not let that happen to me ever again. The pain is too bad. I have been sick and hurting all day.
    • Posted

I'm in the US, I could have overnighted you some. I have express scripts and they just keep sending them to me without me asking for them. If anyone is ever low on their preds I'll be glad to help, I can imagine what you must be going through. I'd be freaking out.
    • Posted

Sandra

Can you not get to emergency at rhe hospital. They will give you some. If it was me i would be gone or is there another pharmacy the bugger one open and call them and explain and that you need one days worth and will be transferring your prescription.

Please do either, i can't imagine as i sit here in pain but not like I'm sure your in.

Mariane

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.