Pmr and pain all over

Posted , 11 users are following.

last night i went to a surprise birthday party that to my surprise was outdoors in the 88 degree heat and humidity (i thought it would be in an airconditioned ballroom). for 3 hours i sat in a small metal garden chair and agonized. or stood to talk to people and agonized from standing. the longer i sat, the weaker and sicker i got until by the time we left, i was miserable and sore all over and dripping with my pollen allergies.

today every muscle in my body aches and im weak. probably doms? im at 5 mg, have had pmr since sept 2016. ive been doing split dose but decided this morning to take the whole 5; split dose doesnt seem to make a difference for me; ive tried twice.

here is my question: what do i do today and for the next few days? rest? or try to move? rest makes pmr worse, movement helps, everyone says. i dont have much of an exercise routine--i walk a little when i can, and do a few exercises, but right now i have hip bursitits, cant see physio for 2 more weeks. i just want some advice as to what to do today and maybe next couple days in terms of rest v movement. thank you.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My PMR started Sep 2015, pred Jan 2016, and I am currently reducing from 6 1/2 to 6 very slowly because of other ailments-recent tooth infection. I too have hip bursitis. I would suggest at least 1 mg increased pred dosage for a couple of days. I used to get shots for hip but decided to use cane instead.

• Posted

also had hip bursitis but elected to get the shots to keep active. THERE WAS A TIME WHEN I pulled a hip muscle and was limping; I LOST SO MUCH conditioning that a cane, walker or wheelchair were my only options to go anywhere. I asked my rheumy for physiotherapy; I found a wonderful therapist who had worked with persons who have scoliosis spinal instrumentation. I am already walking and breathing much better after about 3 weeks 2x a week sessions. He does not let me get overtired .

• Posted

i thought about the increase in pred for couple days too. wanting to avoid although by tomorrow we will see if better without doing that? might be unavoidable.

• Posted

I can't guarantee that this will work for you to get rid of your hip bursitis but it can't hurt and may resolve it.

If you have the self-discipline to do this, get in the bathtub every morning and do this isometric exercise. Sitting up with legs fully extended, at the same time, try and tighten your stomach muscles (your core) as you tighten both legs (buttocks to feet). Take a breath and as you tighten, hold your breath as long as you can, then breath out.

Do this same thing for a count of 15. Rest for a minute or so and then do another set of 15.

If you do this for 2 weeks, I can almost guarantee you that AT LEAST your hip bursitis will be better.

• Posted

wow! never heard that one before! last year physio had me lay on sofa, legs bent, one resting on back of sofa. ever so gently press that leg against back of sofa for 5 secs, 10 reps. repeat other side. tightens glutes. similar to your suggestion?

• Posted

Does this help?

I can't guarantee that this will work for you to get rid of your hip bursitis but it can't hurt and may resolve it.

If you have the self-discipline to do this, get in the bathtub every morning and do this isometric exercise. Sitting up with legs fully extended, at the same time, try and tighten your stomach muscles (your core) as you tighten both legs (buttocks to feet). Take a breath and as you tighten, hold your breath as long as you can, then breath out.

Do this same thing for a count of 15. Rest for a minute or so and then do another set of 15.

If you do this for 2 weeks, I can almost guarantee you that AT LEAST your hip bursitis will be better.

• Posted

That's the typical PT approach to this same exercise. What I find is even more helpful and relaxing is that when you do it in the bath tub (as hot water as you can stand), you can do both legs and your core at the same time. I do this in our hot tub, but it's just as effective in a bath tub.

• Posted

Thanks ptolemy. This has happened a few times before - someone hates me!!!

I'm sure it might well help. Unfortunately I know a lot of PMR patients who couldn't get into a bath - and are even less likely to get out of one!

• Posted

I couldn't read that reply yesterday either, but today it's fine. Although a reply from Bobo on another thread is unintelligible today. Maybe the forum translates it for us over the hours?

• Posted

I reported it at the time - and usually the mods will sort them too.

• Posted

Eileenh, you have plenty of love from most of us on the forum. 🙂

• Posted

Hip bursitis exercise - Although it's probably more effective doing this in warm or hot water, this isometric exercise can also just be done sitting on a couch watching tv. Just lock your hands behind your head. . .then do the same routine previously mentioned to be done in a bath tub or hot tub. At the same time you tighten your stomach muscles and buttocks down your legs, exhale and hold as long as you can. Then relax, inhale, and repeat. Do two sets of 15 with about a 30 second break in between. At my worst PMR period, I actually couldn't reach my arms back to lock behind my head and if you're at that stage, just cross your arms across your chest. Hope this helps.

• Posted

I see we've now lost the ability to scroll to the next page of notifications again. And this site is still so desperately slow on my laptop I hate when the page is filled up with unread posts. I've seen no improvement in many months and wonder if this is the way this forum is going to "function" forever. I'd have thought they would have got it running better by now.

• Posted

Thanks Bobo, I have begun to feel better after only two days, two hot baths, doing the isometric exercise. I walked a bit in my garden without the cane today.Last year PT sessions to strengthen my core was the plank exercise, holding a very long time (more than most PT patients there could). Unfortunately, I may have overdone it as I had a flare soon after. The couch one sounds good too.

I have tried to make it a practice, while sitting at the computer, to sit up straight, breathe in and hold as long as possible. That was the only exercise, left over from many years of yoga, that I could do when first dealing with PMR.

• Posted

I know - slow isn't the word at times. Quickest for me to go from my email all the time ...

Probably the "new normal" - where have I heard this before. And they are having a go at replicating it on HU by the looks of things.

• Posted

Peggy,

I'm thrilled that isometric exercises for the hip bursitis have worked so far and I do believe that repeating them daily - or almost daily - will really help.

Every morning when I get up, I have a lot of stiffness and soreness in my shoulders, and the exercises I do in the hot tub make them go almost completely away. Unfortunately, you can't do those in a bath tub. You'd need to do them in a swimming pool or hot tub and they involve doing a repetitive breast stroke (arms out front pulling back through the water) for 35 times, and the reverse (reaching back and arms pulling forward through the water for another 35.

Anyone with shoulder pain and stiffness might want to try these.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.