PMR and the kidneys

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello everyone and I hope you don't mind me doing a bit of research on you!

Someone recently posted on the American PMR forum that they had been diagnosed with Chronic Kidney Disease Stage 3 (CKD3) and her GP told her it was caused by PMR.

I just wondered whether anyone else reading this has also been diagnosed with a lower kidney function.

The particular blood test called an eGFR (estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate) is apparently carried out on all of us having a routine blood test although we wouldn't be aware of it unless it comes back low and then we are usually informed. It is a relatively new test being done for the last 3+ years at the request of the Government who want to find out whether the decreased function is an ageing process or a disease process.

However, I have recently discovered that not all GPs are now informing their patients of low readings (a non-PMR friend of mine has discovered the result through reading some hospital papers!). My GP has recently informed me that now 3 years into the test they are discovering that over 1,000 people in his practice alone are producing variable readings!

I would be very interested to know whether any of you have been diagnosed with this condition where you have a reading of below 60 on your eGFR test. I am trying to find out if the condition can be PMR-related as when I was diagnosed with CKD3 it was at the end of my first year with undiagnosed PMR so therefore it wouldn't have been put down to this condition.

I'm sorry this has got a bit lengthy but thank you all for reading this far if you haven't all switched off with boredom or confusion :? !!!

MrsO

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Mrs O,

By coincidence I have just come back from the GPs this afternoon after talking through my most recent bloods. One of the reasons was that I wanted to know what effect the medication might be having as I found out last year that I was diagnosed with Chronic Stage 3 Kydney disease. As far as I am aware this has only happened over the last 3 to 4 years since I have had PMR. My latest GFR was 46. The previous one in Jan was 44. Last year went Feb:43, May:47,July:48, Nov :45. My GP's main concern is to keep the BP closely monitored and do the bloods again in 2 months. My CRP level is still raised but I have been struggling to hold on 5mg for the last few months. I just do not want to increase the steroids unless I absolutely have to. Hope all well with you. I dip in and out of the site but dont have much to add to the many good comments I see.

Good health to all!

Greens

• Posted

Hello Greens

Thank you for your reply and what a coincidence for it to be you - if we'd had more chance to chat in London we may have just hit on the subject!

Having only one kidney I did panic and see a kidney consultant following diagnosis of CKD3 (Stage 3 is within a range of 30-59) under the newly available blood test. He carried out the older, traditional kidney tests such as urea and said that they were all fine.

He changed my BP medication from a Beta Blocker to an Ace Inhibitor saying that he didn't like Beta Blockers and they were probably the cause of the bad part of my cholesterol becoming worse. However, within 10 days of the new BP tablet I became very ill and eventually was diagnosed with GCA and PMR, the rheumatologist being of the opinion that the Ace Inhibitor had been the trigger for GCA because the undiagnosed PMR from the previous year and from which I had recovered on Ibuprofen and Paracetamol was lying dormant in my body! A further BP tablet was tried but that also reduced my kidney function!

Are you on calcium supplements? The kidney consultant was surprised that neither my GP nor the rheumatologist had put me on bone protection medication. I remember at the time of referral the GP wrote to the rheumatologist saying that he hadn't commenced these meds until my first rheumy appointment. However, following my second DEXA scan last year the radiologist told me that no-one with kidney disease should be treated with calcium supplements as it would further harm the kidneys. I must say that at this point I started to lose all confidence in the medics!

With me in mind, one of my friends asked her GP what her eGFR reading was and he replied 60, adding that \"the Government had opened a can of worms when they introduced this new blood test 3 years ago as they had loads of elderly patients rushing off to kidney consultants\". He added that in his opinion it was a normal ageing process and any GP could tell just by looking at a patient whether they had kidney disease or not!

I know that excess weight is bad for the kidneys and that it's important to exercise - steroids certainly don't help in this direction do they! It's also important to try and avoid coffee, alcohol and too much protein but to drink lots of water.

What I'm really trying to find out is whether there is, in fact, a link with kidney disease and PMR but am concerned that GP's are not now informing their patients of kidney disease at stage 3 because they are of the same opinion as my friend's GP.

I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling a bit at 5mgs - is your CRP very raised? I have been on 2mgs for 4 months now postponing a further reduction because of pain in one arm and a reduction in the distance I can walk without having to sit for a couple of minutes. Plus I have cracked yet another tooth so will not reduce in case the tooth has to come out with the resultant stress to the body.

Very best wishes.

(I'm sorry for this long post everyone and promise to learn how to precis!)

MrsO

• Posted

Hi Mrs O. Nope, I wasn't in the least bit bored :zzz: I'm joking of course! I've just checked my eGFR from my last bloods and it was 71. My partner was diagnosed with CKD3 about three years ago (he was 54 at the time) and very fit and healthy. His Doctor told him it was absolutely nothing to worry about, just an aging process (it became a bit of a joke as I'm over 6 years older than him!!!). He took Ramipril 5mgs for a while but the Doctor took him off of them once his blood tests levelled out and appeared to be stable. We declare it when we take out our Annual Travel Insurance and so far none of the companies have flagged it up. I don't know what his eGFR level is, he just has it checked regularly. Mine's also checked everytime I have bloods done, but I guess we all do. My partner doesn't have PMR (of pleeeese, let me have something special all to myself :lol: ) but just thought I'd throw the equation into the ring. I do hope you can stay on the 5mg. Keep well.

Lizzie Ellen

• Posted

Hi Lizzie Ellen. Thank you and I'm so glad my post didn't send you to sleep [i:85c8329e20]before[/i:85c8329e20] you replied because what a useful reply that was. Although I was sorry to hear that your partner was also diagnosed with CKD3 I am pleased to hear that he is well and your GP's opinion does sound reassuring. You're doing fantastically well with a reading of 71 and that has answered another query in my mind because someone told me that the original testing equipment didn't record above 60 and certainly everyone I asked at the time told me they were at 60! I dare not write any more as I promised to precis future postings :wink: but I do appreciate your reply. Bless you and keep well.

MrsO

• Posted

Hello Mrs O! 

Im brand new here and I'm in the U.S.  I also have had PMR for the last 5 years. My last 2 blood tests (April & July) show that I have reduced kidney function. My creatinine levels have been high and my eGRF was 40 in April and 37 this month. According to those numbers, I have stage 3 kidney disease!  I have no symptoms!  The eGFR has always been included in blood test results here. Maybe they didn't share it before because it means so little considering there are so many factors in determining kidney disease? 

My GP has not mentioned that PMR has any effect on the kidneys....but here in the U.S., PMR is not researched as well as it is in the U.K. The doctors here are not as knowledgeable as it seems yours are. Everything I've learned about PMR came from a support group on Facebook, where most of the members are from the U.K. My GP had me get an ultrasound done on my kidneys and bladder. She also had my urine tested for a possible UTI. I'm now waiting for her to get back to me with the results. Thanks for reading my post! Have a great day!  

• Posted

Hello lori, and thank you for your post although I notice it is in reply to one that I wrote over 7 years ago - reading through that thread has brought back lots of lovely memories for me and since then I have actually met up with many of the members who posted here at that time, including the lovely Lizzie Ellen.

I'm sorry to hear that as well as PMR you also have CKD.  My eGFR is currently exactly the same as your's at 37, so within CKD3b.  My Creatinine is currently 122, although both figures altered dramatically recently whilst on the drug, Trimethoprim, for UTI.  That caused panic all round until my renal consultant explained that once off the Trimethoprim in all cases the kidney function returned to previous levels.  The answer is not to have the blood tested during courses of Trimethoprim or shortly afterwards!  Did frighten me though especially as I started to get symptoms of nausea which can be quite common as the kidney function declines into CKD4.

My feeling is that whilst the untreated inflammation of PMR can wreak havoc on the body, including the kidneys, once on steroids I believe they have a protective effect.  Certainly, my CKD diagnosis arriving a year into my undiagnosed PMR days, bears out this thought, although I had also taken long term Ibuprofen for the pain at that time (a no-no for those whose kidney function may be at risk - I have had just one kidney for many years).  Once on steroid treatment, my rheumatologist reassured me that the steroids wouldn't harm my sole kidney function any further - in fact, steroids are actually prescribed for some kidney problems.

Snap!  Like you, I recently had an ultrasound on my kidney and bladder following 6 months of, rare for me, continuous UTIs.  The US revealed a grey area on my bladder, and I was admitted for surgery.  Luckily for me the growth turned out to be a benign polyp, but they also found the bladder entrance to be narrowed to they carried out a bladder stretch, saying that this was far more likely to be the reason for the UTIs than the growth.  Now 4 weeks later, so far so good.  They have decided to have me back in in 6 months time just to check that the area has healed well and there is no sign of re-growth.  I would prefer to leave well alone and avoid the risk of infection but I lost the argument there!

As far as my PMR and GCA are concerned, they both went into remission approaching five years ago after some 6 1/2 years with 5 1/2 of those years on steroids, starting at 40mg per day and very slowly tapering down to zero.  The slow tapering, over lengthening periods the lower you get on the steroids is key to successfuly reaching remission for most people, remembering that each new reduced dose is a higher percentage drop than the previous one, and so a bigger obstacle for the body to adapt to.  The slower the tapering, particularly below the 7.5mg point where the adrenal glands are trying to get back up to speed again in manufacturing their own natural steroid (cortisol) production after having been suppressed by the artificial steroid, the better.

I'm so pleased that you have found a helpful support group on Facebook - there is also an active PMR group here on Patients Experience, as well as another on healthunlocked.  We are lucky here in the UK as we now have support groups dotted around the country where people can meet up and share experiences of living with PMR and/or GCA.

Lots of good luck wishes to you, Lori, on all fronts, and do come back and let us know how you get on, although I doubt many people will see these latest two posts as you have posted on a thread that is over 7 tears old.  

• Posted

Hi Mrs O! 

Silly me....I realized after I posted that the thread was 7 years old! I did not expect a reply after finding that out, so thank you for your reply!! 

Is there an active thread where I can read and post about PMR here? I just joined yesterday so I haven't really looked at how to navigate the site...it's a bit confusing. 

My ultrasound results showed no sign of kidney disease! Only a few simple cysts that my doctor said was normal and not anything to worry about as long as I'm not having pain from them. So that's a relief! My urine also showed no signs of infection so my doctor has determined from those 2 tests that I am dehydrated. I don't feel dehydrated but none the less, I'm to increase my fluid intake quite a bit. In one week she wants me to have another blood test to see if there is any improvement! That's where things stand at the moment for me. 

As for my PMR....I started on 15 mg almost 5 years ago and was as high as 25 mg at one point. I'm sure that I had it for several months before being diagnosed. My previous doctor (who is now retired) didn't seem to think that the chronic pain I had told him about several times was anything to look into! He did have blood tests done on me and said all was well, except my sed. rate was high!! Um...hello!!  This is what I mean when I say that the U.S. doctors are dummies when it comes to this disease! A few months later, my new, young and enthusiastic doctor diagnosed me with PMR. He was wonderful, although we butted heads on occasion. He was high strung and he often sent me into a panic with his demeanor. After about a year, he moved to Boston and again, I had a new doctor to get used to. She was the complete opposite. She was calm and laid back....to the point that I felt like she didn't care and I was on my own as far as the PMR was concerned. But over time, I realized that she was covering two practices and overwhelmed with what the office had given her as far as the number of patients she had. On top of all,of that, she was pregnant with her first child! She had her hands full! But things settled down for her and now she is a dream of a doctor! I couldn't be happier. Because of her admitted lack of knowledge about PMR, she has referred me to a rheumatologist. Over the years, I have gotten down to 5 mg but in April I had a horrible flair and I'm back to 20 mg. I probably should have only increased by 5 but I was in desperate pain and wanted fast relief! 

Im so pleased to hear that your surgery was a success and you are doing well 4 weeks later! Your story is fascinating and I find that I learn so much from talking to people who have this disease. 

Thank you again for taking the the time to reply to my post! I will look around and get acclimated with the site to see what I can learn! 

Have a lovely afternoon!! ??

• Posted

Hello again, Lori

What great news about your ultrasound result - PMR is more than enought to cope with, without further dramas joining in the fun!

I'm sorry to hear about your recent flare, especially after so many years on treatment.  I agree you may have fared just as well if you had increased to a dose somewhat lower than 20mg.  The usual rule of thumb is if you are suddenly aware of increasing pain that resembles flaring inflammation, you should firstly try going back to the last dose at which you felt comfortable.  Increasing to 20mg from 5mg does sound like overkill.  It's reassuring to hear that after all this time and frequent flares you are being referred to a rheumatologist - let's hope s/he is a good one.  If you have managed to get to 5mg on previous occasions, then it might just be that you are either not staying there for long enough or are reducing in too large decrements.  I had a severe flare at the 5mg dose but, being no wiser at the time, I followed my medic's advice to continue reducing by his plan of 1mg a month.  By the time I got to 3mg, I was almost back to square one and facing being bedbound again.  I was then advised to increase back to 10mg and very slowly tapered back down to 5mg where I was kept for 5-6 months.  I baulked a bit at the time but with hindsight it was the very best advice.  Although after all those months I was then advised I could return to decreasing back down again by 1mg a month, I thought "Oh no, Jose, it didn't work before, why would it work now".  Plus I was that much wiser having read the experience of a man in Sweden called Ragnar who posted about his inability to reduce below 5mg until he thought he'd try reducing on just one day out of four.  That proved successful for him, so I thought I'd try it even slower, reducing in half mg decrements but only on one day of the week, increasing the number of days at the new dose by one day each week.  It proved a snail's pace to remission but it doesn't matter how slowly one tapers, as long as it works!  Since that time, many people have found that reducing in this way or along very similar lines worked out to suit themselves has proved equally successful.

If you want to find all the threads relating to PMR/GCA, just go to the top of this page and click on the words 'Polymyalgia Rheumatica and Giant Cell Arteritis' in the line marked in red, and this will bring you to a load of posts under different headings - happy reading! 

• Posted

Hi again Mrs O! 

Sorry that I haven't responded until now. I've been very upset all week and the last thing I wanted to do what think about the possibility of having CKD. I went for my second blood test yesterday after a week of what seemed like I was drowning myself from drinking extra water! All that managed to accomplish was me getting up to go to the bathroom during the night even more than I was before this started! I received my new results and my creatinine level is even higher than it was last week!!! I'm so frustrated and worried! My eGFR has gone down again also. It's now 34 and my creatinine is 1.63! I'm freaking out and I'm waiting to hear from my doctor!  I've been doing some research on CKD and PMR and I've found in every article that muscles release creatine that turns into creatinine which is what the kidneys remove. If you have a muscle disease, that can also effect the amount of creatinine that the kidneys must remove. To me it sounds like PMR can cause CKD!! What I don't understand is why now after 5 years, would I be having a problem with my kidneys? Until April, my PMR was in control and then the flare happened. My creatinine level started to increase right about that time. I'm confused on why it's continuing to increase even though my PMR is back in control because I increased my Pred dose. When I pose these questions to my GP, she either has no answer for it or says she doesn't think the two are related!! I'm still waiting for an appointment with a rheumatologist. Hopefully they will be able to shed some light on this for me. 

Since this thread is so old....I looked over the forum like you suggested that I read. Other that this one, I did not see a topic about PMR and CKD. I might start one. 

Thanks for all your help and for replying to me! 

Have a a lovely day!! 

• Posted

Lori, you say that you are waiting for referral to a rheumatologist which is fine for the PMR, but with your creatinine rising and eGFR lowering, I think you should also ask for referral to a renal consultant/nephrologist to further investigate this.
  • Posted

Mrs O

This is on the same site you used.

\"Thanks so much for all the replies. I've read pretty much all the web has to offer as far as information but find that the UK seems to be on top of this better than the states. I'm in the United States.\"

Enough said!!

Just found the :dragon: should of used it on 23rd.

• Posted

mrs k

Simple......they need a mrs k over there to help set up groups, help charity launch, offer endless quality advice, etc, etc, etc.

Like the dragon for the 23rd.....wasn't there something special for the 24th :lol: ?!!!

• Posted

Hi Mrs O. Further to the CKD3 discussion - very conveniently my partner went to his Doc this morning to check his recent blood tests and his eGFR was 54. Poor thing went off with strict instructions to ask the Doc what his result was but he did get a hug as reward for remembering :hug: Makes my 71 seem pretty impressive, glad there's one bit of me working OK :lol: It'll be interesting to see what other peoples results are. Keep well. Lizzie Ellen
  • Posted

Hi Mrs.O and all,

Just thought I'd put my two cents in about the kidney test, eGFR. Co-incidently, yesterday, I had a 2mo. PMR check-up with my GP and I had just read your post about the test. I copied the post and took it and had the Dr. read it. He said it was a good question, but that he had no answer as how PMR might affect it. He wrote down a formula as to how to compute it individually - having to much to do with your age and your weight. Unfortunately when I looked at what he had written, later, I found I couldn't read all of his writing.(Typical Dr's handwriting!) We looked at the results of my last eGFR test which was taken last Jan. and it was 45. He told me that according to my age ( 85 isn't old, is it? - Ha!) and my slight build, that he wasn't worried about it being that low.

Well, I guess that as he has taken pretty good care of me these past 15 years, or more, I should trust his judgement- shouldn't I?

As for my prednisone medication he wants me to try 6mil- next day 5 - alternating everyday. We'll see how that works. I still have some pain and stiffness, but nothing I can't handle. Every once in a while I have a feeling of total exhaustion, while I've done nothing to cause it. I'm still golfing once a week and still loving the fact that I can do that!

Today I'm hoping and praying that you are all having a great day!

Tinker

• Posted

Hi Lizzie Ellen and do thank your husband for his 'silent' input into our forum; in fact, better still give him a :hug: from me! 54 is quite high on the CKD3 range so if his readings are stable at that figure then that is good news.

It's interesting to read in the next posting from Tinker in California that her GP remarked on her slight build as being a beneficial factor in CKD. I had already been aware that it was important to keep the weight down - oh how I wish that the Prednisolone could come with a slimming ingredient! I used to be pear-shaped but now more like an apple :tomato: (couldn't find an apple!)

MrsO

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.