PMR and the kidneys

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello everyone and I hope you don't mind me doing a bit of research on you!

Someone recently posted on the American PMR forum that they had been diagnosed with Chronic Kidney Disease Stage 3 (CKD3) and her GP told her it was caused by PMR.

I just wondered whether anyone else reading this has also been diagnosed with a lower kidney function.

The particular blood test called an eGFR (estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate) is apparently carried out on all of us having a routine blood test although we wouldn't be aware of it unless it comes back low and then we are usually informed. It is a relatively new test being done for the last 3+ years at the request of the Government who want to find out whether the decreased function is an ageing process or a disease process.

However, I have recently discovered that not all GPs are now informing their patients of low readings (a non-PMR friend of mine has discovered the result through reading some hospital papers!). My GP has recently informed me that now 3 years into the test they are discovering that over 1,000 people in his practice alone are producing variable readings!

I would be very interested to know whether any of you have been diagnosed with this condition where you have a reading of below 60 on your eGFR test. I am trying to find out if the condition can be PMR-related as when I was diagnosed with CKD3 it was at the end of my first year with undiagnosed PMR so therefore it wouldn't have been put down to this condition.

I'm sorry this has got a bit lengthy but thank you all for reading this far if you haven't all switched off with boredom or confusion :? !!!

MrsO

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Tinker

It's lovely to hear from you again and great to hear that you are still keeping up with the golf.

It's good to get another GP'S opinion via yourself and I'm sure it was especially reassuring to hear his view on your slight build being beneficial in the case of CKD3. With regard to his view of it being related to age, I'm sure I have read somewhere that kidney function deteriorates about 1% a year and, if that's the case, at a reading of 45 then you are doing very very well. In fact you mention you are 85 and I take my hat off to you being able to continue with your golf in spite of PMR - what's your secret?!

Very best wishes and lots of holes in one!

MrsO

• Posted

Hi Mrs O. You may have hit on something there - Predisolone with a slimming agent, maybe even a big lump of synthetic willpower :wow: And hello again Tinker (doesn't that name just conjure up the best picture in your mind!). And absolutely no, 85 isn't old in your case. You're starting to turn into my hero. My Mum was wonderful as well, it must be a generation thing, I think I'm in the 'softy' generation. Busy time ahead, off to visit the in-laws for a couple of days and then off to Spain on Tuesday, so hoping against hope that the dreaded 'treacle brain' and total exhaustion stays away at least until I'm laid on the beach! Last week of the (very, very) slow reduction from 10mgs to 9mgs. I envy those dropping 2.5mgs at a time but have to give this regime a go. All seems OK at the moment. Keep well everyone.

Lizzie Ellen

• Posted

Happy holidays Lizzie Ellen with lots of sun, sand and.....sangria!! :redwine:

MrsO

• Posted

Hi Lizzie Ellen Hope you enjoy your holiday in Spain we are off tomorrow and looking forward to it except for the travelling as unfortunately we are going from Heathrow rather than peaceful little Bournemouth !! I am lloking forward to a nice seafood paella tomorrow but until they bring in this prednisolone with slimming benefits I better not have too many !

I debated whether to go by your slow reduction but as my bloods

were good 5&5 (with the remains of a cold ) I am doing 10 10 7.5 for 2 weeks to see how it goes then might try 10&7.5 if thats OK My Dr said play around with it to suit you so we will see

Sorry Mrs O I havent anything to add to the kidney function debate as the only time my Dr mentioned them was when she was worried about my low sodium levels she said my kidney function was fine My sodium levels are better now But I will ask her next time I see her she is getting used to my questions now !!

Best wishes to all Mrs G

• Posted

My GFR is 55, but my MD said it isn't considered to be CKD unless it stays low for three months or more. I have PMR and recently had a relapse and had to go back on Prednisone. I am taking 9 mg, so low dose. My WBC is elevated which can be due to the disease or the Prednisone. He told me to drink plenty of water. Hoping my GFR goes back up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.