PMR beginers dosage

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi, all I'm new to this I have just been diagnosed with PMR, my doctor has prescibed a 30mg a day, from what I have read it seems a very high dose to start on, any advice please  

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

As many have said, it varies by each individual.  I started on Pred at 20 mg 9 months ago but have flared up twice when I've gotten down to 15 mg.  The 2nd time the PMR flared up I had to go to 30 mg to get to a painless starting point again.  Currently at 20 mg and the dropping in a week to 17-1/2.  After that will be dropping veryyyyy slowly so I hopefully don't flare up.  In the meantime, side effects are tolerable and I'm still able to do my physical work at about 90% of what I've done in the past.  I am so thankful for Prednisone!

• Posted

Hi TheRaven, when reducing did you reduce by more than 10%? Like your next reduction is 2.5 mg which is greater than 10%. I am at 20 mg also, but reducing to 18 using DSNS.
    • Posted

Michdonn, yes the reductions so far are more than 10%.  I have read that reducing more than 10% isn't as much of an issue until you get down around the 15 mg range which was my previous experience.  Both flares happened when I was directed to drop from 20 to 15.  I figure the 17.5 is very close to 10% so I'm willing to take a shot at it.  Then I have to hold at that level until my September appointment with my new rheumy (current one is moving - darn).  Hopefully he'll agree to keeping the reductions to 10% or less.  If not, I'm just going to do my own reduction schedule.  I'm still able to handle with the physical work load but will admit that fatigue catches up to me at the end of the day.  The recliner chair is often the "sleep chair" about 8 pm.

• Posted

Forgot to mention what the reductions have been - was at 30 for a month then reduced to 25 and held for 3 weeks.  Same at 20 mg but will be holding at 17.5 mg for 6 weeks, probably only because that gets me to the next appointment.
    • Posted

TheRaven, my bad flare was when I drop from 8 to 7 mg. Had a bad time, I want to be more careful this time. I going to take it real slow and easy! Let s keep in touch on the way down!
    • Posted

TheRaven, I waited at 30 till PMR pain free, then reduce 2.5 every 2 weeks till 20 mg. I doing a lot of walking, my wife got me a Fitbit so I can track my walks. I also find in have doze off in the recliner, but I been doing that for years!
  • Posted

I started on 15mg last August and must say did not get much relief from the pain just stuck  it out did not go higher am now down to 5mg and pretty much pain free just a little stiffness now and then but nothing  like at first , decreasing very slow by 1mg per month 
  • Posted

On diagnosis, my Dr put me on 50mg with the words "we'll hit it hard" and I then dropped to 25mg the first week, 20mg the second and 15mg at the end of the first month.

I really don't think it makes much differnece in the first instance - the goal is to find the lowest possible dose that reduces the inflammation significantly enough for you to function effectively.

• Posted

Hi FlipDover Aust, there seems to be two schools of thought. My Rheumy raised me on my flare from 7 to 10 to 15 to 20 to 30. On 20 I could not walk, even to bathroom. I live in the states, that seems to be the protocol in the PMR battle.

50 does seem high, any sign of GCA?

How were Blood numbers?

• Posted

No sign of GCA (touch wood!) and CRP never got higher than 20. My ESR was never raised. That said, I was very ill by the time I dragged myself to the Dr. She took one look at me and knew exactly what it was - for this I am very grateful. I hadn't slept for a month because of the pain. I couldn't walk, get out of a chair, dress myself. And I'd been doing trialthons up until that point (boy have things changed now!)

• Posted

FlipDover Aust, I went from riding by bicycle over 3,000 miles, to not being able to walk. Then to working as a ski instructor last winter to really not walk to bathroom. PMR had changed my life, but with Pred I can push forward with a smile on my face, looking forward to a great ski season. 🙂

• Posted

It seems a LOT of us were very active before it hit us. Who knows if there's a link or not.

I'm so glad you will be able to ski again. I have yet to master walking more than 10 metres without hobbling. I think I'ver heard it called the 'penguin' walk on here.... lol

• Posted

FlipDover Aust, on 5/8/17, I walked 1/6 of a mile twice, that was big deal. 6/30/17 walked 20,605 steps, that is 9.31 miles. Our muscles have memories, once you can get moving you will be surprised. My balance is still not right, but I believe it will come back! So I looking forward, put that smile on your face and look forward! 🙂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.