PMR Flare , please help.

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi Dear Forum friends

I have been on this dreadful PMR journey for nearly 6 years now, and I thought I'd recognize any PMR flare ups early by now, still it caught me by surprise and in a vengeance !! I am in a great deal of pain and discomfort, and I am losing my wit how to deal with this ! I have been doing the DSAS method steadily and managed to get myself down to 7 mgs. I started on 30mgs, and with many flares over the years. I have been quite stable and pain free until 3 /4 weeks ago, when I had a relapse of my sciatica problem, which made me very confused with the type of pain i had with PMR. Anyway, as time went by, it became more like PMR flare, as I started to have pain across my pelvis , and then it moved up to my shoulders and upper left arm. The pain is intense, gripping , throbbing and constant. My shoulder felt heavy and it is painful the whole time. I went from 7mgs to 10mgs for 8 days without relief, now I am taking 15 mgs for the the last 4 days, and the pain is only mildly better.Should I persevere on 15mgs for another 1 to 2 weeks or more until the pain is gone before I go back to my 7 mgs, or shall i reduce it from 15ms more slowly. I am also taking co-codymol , and Naproxen, (even though i know they do not do much for PMR! but when the pain is bad, I'd just try anything!)

I really appreciate some advice from all of you, and get my life back on track again. Thank you All.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Ok! As you've suggested, I made an appt with a physiotherapist this week and I also see my Integrative Medicine Dr too! As I've posted before, I have had PMR for nearly 6 years, My hips/hip flexors and piriformis are my biggest issue. Never my shoulders! I was at 20mg Prednisone last AUG and got down to 10mg this April. I thought I was on my way. Well 10 days ago I feel I had a flare so back up again to 20mg. I'm finding that for the first time in 6 years I have pain after simply walking a mile or cycling. Cycling has been my exercise of choice as its easy on my joints. So whats going on now? This forum has mentioned a physiotherapist so I got an appt. Has the long term Prednisone use messed up my muscles? I want blood work done but is there any certain blood work I need to make sure they take?

I am in the states. PLEASE HELP!

• Posted

It sounds to me as if you have myofascial pain syndrome as well as PMR - and some bursitis problems as well. If you have a flare - then exercise that was OK becomes too much.

Symptoms always trump blood results - but the only things that really show anything are the sed rate and the CRP levels. But even they are unreliable - you can have symptoms without raised markers in about 1 in 5 patients.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.