PMR & immune system

Posted , 21 users are following.

Do most of you with PMR, GCA stay away from sick grandchildren, especially those with a fever?...or woyld that be over-reacting?

Thank you...and Happy New Year!

3 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm paying for not staying away from my little granddaughter right now! we saw her and other family over Christmas. she had a cold (parents didn't tell me, as they still don't get it, that I will catch whatever is around).

Her cold was minor, but I'm now suffering from a nasty chest infection.

I generally try to stay away from crowds and people with coughs and colds and use a hand sanitiser religiously when out.

I'm about to start methotrexate, just waiting for this infection to clear, but thst will lower my immune system even more.

• Posted

Yest I try to keep away from anyone who is sick. Since PMR I have had two very nasty chest infections that lasted for ages and left me very low,  So I try to avoid it if possible.

Happy New Year to everyone!

• Posted

Stay away from "anyone" that is sick not just grandkids.....The absolute

last thing I want to face right now is a bad cold and I don't even want to

thnk about getting the flu!!!  I'm already tired from the holidays and

want to recover from that before I have another challenge......WHEW!

• Posted

Hi Faye just to say I am with you from the beginning of your post and all the way through up to the end...lol

It put a big smile on my face - thank you for that.

May you have a healthy 2016!

• Posted

Kathy, rather than "over-reacting" I think it is wise to stay away from those known to be infectious especially whilst on Pred.  Hubby and I spent Christmas and Boxing Days with our adorable 5-month old grandson, but the poor little one had a cold, and I have gone down with it, plus chest infection and my stomach muscles feeling as though they have been kicked with all the coughing......and I'm not even on steroids!
  • Posted

Hi Kathy,

I have 6 grandchildren who live far away. When I visit I've been wearing a mask if anyone is sick and using hand  sanitizer. The kids gave me a variety of flavors of  sanitizer in my favorite smells.... and paper masks with designs to make it more fun.  But in general, I stay away from anyone sick. I've only been dianosed since Oct. 2015.  Happy New Year from New York!:-)

• Posted

even without pmr simple colds knock me about. At least a week of coughing and runny nose, then a couple of weeks of gradually fading cough.

Overnight in hospital recently caught a cold. Diabolical. Needed asthma stuff for first time in a few years.

I avoid people with any sort of infection. Let doctor convince me a pneumonia vaccination would be good for me - not sure why in retrospect. She's usually better than that.

• Posted

My husband used to get pneumonia every year, usually in the spring (high allergy season) until he had the vaccination a few years ago.  He still has sinus trouble, asthma and "man colds" but no more pneumonia.  Mind you, he doesn't have to take pred, except what might be in the asthma med.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.