PMR or something else

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi

After 3 years on pred, reducing slowly I got down to 1mg but was still experiencing pain, I wasn't sure if this was PMR related or not.

.Around  6 months ago I stopped taking pred altogether, the pain hasn't got any worse and it isn't the same pain as I had when I first started with PMR, it was so intense then I had bursitis in my neck at the back of my head, in my and elbows and could hardly move.

The  pain I have now is achey, neck, elbows wrists, knees and most painful my feet.  I have headaches and migraines, which are new to me.   I have restless legs, carpel tunnel,  and diverticulitis, I don't sleep well sometimes because of pain, but then there are times when I do get a good nights sleep and the following day the pain is less.     I'm wondering if I have fibromyalgia.

Anyone familiar with this ? 

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Sorry to hear about all of your discomforts.  Have you tried any analgesics? I find alleve to be helpful in non-PMR pain (naprosyn).  Could some of the pain possibly be PMR related?
  • Posted

Thanks everyone for your input and kind thoughts.

I've had my ESR bloods done today, apparently the doc didn't do them last time as I had just been in hospital and diagnosed with diverticulitis (something else to add to my list) therefore my levels would have been high anyway.

She said if my tests come back acceptable, she will look at fibromyalgia, no Eileen I do don't mention the F word, I took your advice 😀

Appently the restless legs and sciatica can go along side fibro.

Thanks again, I'll post when  get the results 

• Posted

And sciatica can go alongside PMR... And both can come alongside normal bloods - up to 20% of pMR patients have normal bloods...
    • Posted

Dear Eileen,

Would upping the dose of prednisone help the sciatica pain that can accompany PMR? Thank you, Linda

• Posted

In my personal experience, pred at 15 mg made ALL my pains go away, including pain caused by osteoarthritis in my spine.  Those pains came back with lowering dose but have been for the most part sorted by good physiotherapy, etc, although currently experiencing back trouble.  That being said I would NEVER increase pred for anything except plain old PMR (or GCA if, God forbid, I get that).
    • Posted

Not necessarily - it might blunt the pain but it would depend on the cause of the sciatica. And you might need a highish dose. As Anhaga says - good physiotherapy might be more useful and fewer side effects!
    • Posted

Dear Anhaga,

What type of physiotherapy do you receive? Thank you for your response.

Linda

• Posted

20mg/day is the borderline between a moderate and a high dose. If a few days of that sort of dose helped a lot then maybe it would be worth it but not if you needed it consistently to maintain the pain relief. If there is a mechanical cause - discs perhaps or spasmed muscles, the cause of the pain remains and as soon as you stop the dose of pred the pain is likely to return. Hence, physiotherapy using manual mobilisation techniques for spasmed muscles would probably be a better approach for spasmed muscles. But it should start with an x-ray at the least to rule out other problems which would have their own solutions. Pred isn't something to play about with to see what it will do.

• Posted

My physiotherapist happens to have a good knowledge of PMR, especially as one of her good friends is a rheumatologist.  She actually discouraged me from attempting some high intensity  exercise, saying it wouldn't be a good idea because of the PMR.  She is very good at assessing various problems and has used a number of techniques to help me deal with the pain which was not specifically PMR, among other things "dry needling". She also does low level light therapy which has been found effective in reducing production of pain-causing cytokines (studied for RA not PMR) but this particular treatment is not widely available outside North America, although there are practitioners all around the world.

• Posted

As you're in the USA it's worth your googling light therapy toronto kahn, especially if you have insurance coverage fro physiotherapist or chiropractor, the usual providers of the  treatment.  

• Posted

Thank you. Do you know of other PMR patients who have also been diagnosed with fibromyalgia? I think that is why I have a hard time. Thanks, Linda
    • Posted

Why not ask that question in a new post?  It seems to me that from time to time people do tell us they have both PMR and fibro. 
    • Posted

There are several people on the forums who have both - not necessarily here though. Most are clear about which symptoms are which since they had had fibro previously and then PMR joined in the game. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.