popping/clicking in the knee (following TKR)

Posted , 9 users are following.

A few days after my total knee replacement surgery on June 20th this past summer (2016), I felt a pop or click inside my knee with each step I took. I didnt think much about it then. Two weeks after my surgery in my post-op check-up my surgeon it was "intneral scar tissue" causing the clicking/popping and over time the problem would go away.  I saw him last week, five months since my surgery. I told him I was still having this popping/clicking in my knee with each step i take. Now he says that it is the the metal clicking on the plastic and that it will go away once I get my leg muscles built up. The stronger mucscles will "tighten up the parts" and the discomfort and pain caused by the internal friction (and clicking/popping) will end.  

The bottom line is that I think the replacment parts are loose internally. I hope a re-do is not needed. 

Have any of you had this type of problem?    

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

No I have had pain under by knee cap from day one and it feels like needles popping threw my skin. My dr said scare tissue. I still gave pain in my knee stright or bending.
  • Posted

Todd,

The popping/clicking feeling is normal as my Dr. told me.  He said exactly what your Dr. has said....that its the metal over plastic in the new knee.  It may last a long time, but I've noticed it less as time has gone on.....and I'm 14 months out from TKR.  I think you'll hear from others that it's pretty normal and not much to worry about.  Good luck with the rest of your recovery.

Mary Ann

• Posted

Hi Todd!

I had my first TKR (left knee) June 2015. About a month ago my knee kept popping. It also would exhibit a loose feeling behind the knee (ligaments?)

Anyway, I resumed the exercises from my rehab (lifting up and down on my toes, flexing my quads as I straightened my legs, gentle squats, RESTING MY LEGS, and stretching out my hamstrings etc.)

The popping stopped, that loose feeling stopped, and the ligaments behind my leg stopped feeling like loose guitar strings.

Try some stretches and building up muscles like you worked on in recovery. I bet you'll feel better. If not, then you can check with your doctor and let him/ her know that you tried the stretches and strengthening and you need MORE HELP from him/her.

Let me know if this helps you, ok?

Hope you feel better soon!😊

• Posted

Have you looked up online with part numbers for your knee parts? To see what type of knee replacement joint you have?

Regards

• Posted

Good idea!  I havent yet. I do know I have the Biomet but unsure the part number.  I will ask the surgeon the part number. Hopefully he will give it to me. thanks!
    • Posted

Omg no I had no idea you could and I don't even know how to find the number. Help me.

• Posted

The knee joints have serial numbers and I was give a paper with these numbers which also show the part numbers.

Regards

• Posted

Hi I am only nearly 4 weeks post op, I also have s clicking but my surgeon said that some people do and that you just get used to it, can I ask your advice my leg feels like lead and very heavy although swelling has gone down And can walk without sticks my knee bend isn't brilliant does that come with time and the heaviness disappear? I am increasingly worried and thinking i wish I never had it done even though I exercise 4 x daily and physio 2x a week

Jan x

• Posted

Hi Jan

I would say you are doing great, my leg straightening was good at 10 weeks , the bend was around 95, but at 18 it still improving.

As they say time is a healer

Good luck

• Posted

Pop...click...clunk...  Everything I've read says it's totally normal and may take 12-18 months to go away.  Personally, I think it won't ever go away.  I can live with a little knee noise.

• Posted

I went to a pre op physio meeting and was told that this could be normal a lady in the group coming for her 2nd TKR said her 1st one had been clicking since leaving hosp 12 month ago, but was told nothing to worry about, however if you have concerns speak with a physio as I've heard they can manipulate it to stop the clicking or speak with your surgeon see if he can suggest anything

Jan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.