popping/clicking in the knee (following TKR)

Posted , 9 users are following.

A few days after my total knee replacement surgery on June 20th this past summer (2016), I felt a pop or click inside my knee with each step I took. I didnt think much about it then. Two weeks after my surgery in my post-op check-up my surgeon it was "intneral scar tissue" causing the clicking/popping and over time the problem would go away.  I saw him last week, five months since my surgery. I told him I was still having this popping/clicking in my knee with each step i take. Now he says that it is the the metal clicking on the plastic and that it will go away once I get my leg muscles built up. The stronger mucscles will "tighten up the parts" and the discomfort and pain caused by the internal friction (and clicking/popping) will end.  

The bottom line is that I think the replacment parts are loose internally. I hope a re-do is not needed. 

Have any of you had this type of problem?    

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am almost ten weeks post op bilateral TKR. My surgeon told me to expect the clicking/popping--gave me pretty much the same explanation as your doctor. I have a bit of clicking in each knee but don't notice it most of the time. I really think it will go away with time.

• Posted

I have not... total knee is typically three parts....one piece is implanted into the femur (thigh), a second piece is implanted into the tibia (large bone lower leg), and the third piece is implanted into tbe underside of the patella (knee cap)...this is what allows the patella to glide over the new knee joint.

Many people are able to hear this movement. Because you did not mention pain, nor swelling, nor deformity it would seem that all is well.

kind regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.