Positive mirtazapine stories

Posted , 12 users are following.

hi guys i am about to start mirtazapine 15mg to help my sleep and anxiety, im currently on 100mg of sertraline but my psychiatrist has put me on mirt alongside it, all i ever see is weight gain posts which really scare me as ive recently worked so hard to lose 2 stone, has anyone not had any weight gain issues?

thank you

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

chelsea think long and hard and do some reserch before taking mirtso hard to come off it . sorry for the negative post but i too put alot of weight 3 stone 😦

• Posted

Hi Chelsea, I have been on mirtazapine for about three and a half years starting at 15mg then 30mg. I also take 10mg escitalopram. I have NOT had a weight gain issue. I am careful with my diet and exercise regularly to maintain a healthy BMI. As a sleep aid it has been wonderful!

Unfortunately most of the posts are negative but I'm sure there are many people on this med that are happy with it.

• Posted

probably the ssri keeping the weight off james as its a massive side effect (weight gain) dont assume that others dont train and keep fit im off it and im 8 stone 4!

• Posted

I too have gained some weight around the middle. been working out 5 days a week but cant seem to shed the fat in middle. Don't start taking it if you don't want weight gain.

• Posted

Tony I'm the same it's all in my stomach. I actually find when I eat carbs it really bloats my stomach does this happen with you.

• Posted

Hi. Two main side effects on 15mg of mirt will be incredibly vivid dreams and munchies. Over 15 and for some reason these side effects eb away. Good luck

• Posted

I've been on Mirt for 11 months & it's worked fine for me. I was prescribed it for a combination of insomnia, depression & anxiety. It's worked for all those problems. I can now go to the supermarket & not panic. Before taking the Mirt my anxiety/panic attacks was so bad I often abandoned my shopping & went outside the shop to take a breather. My sleep & depression is better too. I take 15mg about an hour before bedtime. When I first started taking it I had a big appetite for the first couple of months but this eased off. I have put a bit of weight on though especially around my middle but I was too skinny to begin with so it's not a huge issue as I was hardly eating before taking the Mirt. If I decide to come off then I'll work with my GP but for now I don't see why I should come off it while it's working.

• Posted

I'm pleased to see this drug has worked for you. It's just a shame that there can be huge problems coming off it, even with the advice of the doctor. Somehow I appear to be on a higher dose then many on here. Doc just kept saying go higher. Oh well, I still have a journey to take to be free from this mind bending drug...

• Posted

Hi, i was on mirt 15 mg for 7 to 8 months. worked wonders for me to get appetite back and sleep after bereavement. i had no probs coming off it but reduced my dose slowly. i gained gained half a stone but lost this soon enough. Give it a go, as everyone reacts differently to it.

• Posted

I wish I stayed on 15. up to 45 and trying desperately to come off but go to 40 and suffer anxiety, depression and a feeling of dread but even though I know its the drugs I have to go back to 45 to keep functioning for work and life in general.

• Posted

i think when you reduce dose you go into panic mode thinking i cant manage this and anxiety comes back tenfold. The key is to stick with the reduction. the symptoms do reduce ,( just jeep telling yourself that) i keot busy and did not dwell on how i felt. stick with the dose that keep u well if need be. there is no rush to reduce until you r mentally ready. come down slowly which can take months. i reduced over 3/ 4 months and was ok. i had a few wobbles here and there but got there. i still have bad days with anxiety but try and shrug it off and get in with life.

• Posted

CHelsea ,

i was on mirtz some years ago, started off on 15mg, then increased to the next dose up. i did put a little weight on, but when i eventually came off them slowly i seemed to loose the weight.. you will probably get the munchies for carbs and sweet stuff. just try and watch your diet if you can.

good luck

D

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.