Positive-Negative H. Pylori test. Very confused

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been experiencing the same symptoms for the past 2 months: nausea, upset stomach, headaches, fatigue, loss of appetite. Have gotten several tests done (CT Scan, abdominal ultrasound, blood tests, stool sample) all have come back negative. I decided to get a second opinion where they also did bloodwork and I tested positive for h. Pylori, but my dr says blood tests aren't always accurate in detecting h. Pylori. I'm on day 5 of the Prevpac antibiotic treatment and feel even worse than I did before. My dr advised me to stop the medication and stick to what he prescribed for me (Ranitidine 2 x a day). I'm very confused now as one test showed negative results and another showed positive. I just want to find some relief and soon! I have 3 little ones under 7 that need their active, healthy mom back rolleyes please help!

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Before you do nect test you cant be on any ppi pills , and ask for urea breath test. I did blood test at the begining and was positive than later I did urea breath test and was positive and after therapy i did endoscopy and was still positive on bacteria.
  • Posted

Hey!

?I had really bad side effects from the PrevPac treatment as well, and stopped at day 5 of 7. So I am still suffering from the symptoms of h pylori but it's better than the disgusting side effects (i thought i was dying)

?As for the confusing results... the initial tests should have been positive for H pylori before you got on the PrevPac treatment.

?After you finish the course of the treatment, it is recommended that you wait a month before testing if the bacteria is gone in order to get a reliable answer, as the bacteria is dead, but could still be stuck in your stomach for a while.

?I hope your h pylori bacteria is eradicated, stick to a good diet and you'll be alright.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.