Possible alternative to Citalopram

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello all! My doctor has just told me to stop taking cit. I have been on 20mg for almost 4 weeks with no sign of improvement, only worsening symptoms. The doctor said I shouldn't be sweating as much as I am so she thinks this medicine may not be for me. This makes me sad because I'm tired of dealing with this constant anxiety with no breaks! I feel if I stop the medicine now it may not have had time to get into my system and all the side effects will have been for nothing. I'm just ready for relief and feeling normal! She said she will try me on something else once I've come off these. Is there anyone that may have had the same issue and found a medication that works? Also, she didn't say if I should cut down the dose or just stop cold turkey. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

At week 3 to 5,I sweat every night. The whole body was soaked. After week 6, the sweat less and less, but not stop completely. After 8 weeks, I no longer sweat during night. Every one is different.

I believe week 4 is critical. You need to talk to your doctor again. If you give up now, you may run into same situation with other med.

• Posted

4 weeks seems quick to give up iv been seen a p Dr and iv been on sertraline 4months and still they just up the dose. I'd say u should have improvements in six weeks but 4 if very early
  • Posted

thank you for the advice. I don't feel ready to give up because I have hope this medication will work! I take mine before bed so is it normal to wake up feeling like I have a hangover?
    • Posted

I feel hungover all day after my increase its awful. Is it getting any better from week 2-4? Is it all anxiety or depression too? It's normal to have night sweats but not all day. Has your anxiety gone up? This is normal at first and should settle but anxiety can make you very spaced out and dizzy too.
    • Posted

I'm seen by the health unit as i have bad postnatal illness and they say 6-12 weeks x
    • Posted

For me it's just anxiety. And I don't have any night sweats but sweat all day long! I feel like nothing has changed from week 2-4.....just worse anxiety and a terrible headache that nothing seems to come close to touching!
    • Posted

It your sweating and got just hot flush sweats then maybe you should stop . Ssris make me get hot sweaty rushes x
  • Posted

Hi there.....personally I think it's to early to come off cit as it has not had a chance to work properly it's takes a good 10/12 wks to work well in my case it did....if only the docs knew wat it was like they wudnt be so quick to get ppl to come off it .....take care n get better soon
  • Posted

One option is to take 10 mg, then increase the dose later.
    • Posted

I think that is what I will do. Do you think I will have any withdrawals from lowering the dose? Lately my eyes have been feeling like there is pressure on them and they are sore and my throat has been feeling tight and it gets hard to breathe.
    • Posted

Hi tcaro

i agree with the others you need to give cit longer in your system .My GPthought I should be on Lexapro but my Psychiatrist believes citalopram is good for me as have been on it for 12 months and feel great.

hope this helps

• Posted

I just recently increased my dose from 20 to 30 mg and have the nausea, anxiety, and slight disconnect from reality. I understand that people experience different side effects as not everyone is the same, but pressure behind the eyes sounds serious. Quitting citalopram four weeks in will not allow you to experience it's benefits, but perhaps it is not the drug for you if you're experiencing such serious side effects. I know that four weeks of awful side effects for nothing would be a huge downer, but it's better than forcing yourself to endure really risky side effects. Your throat feeling tight and having a hard time breathing could be from anxiety but it could also be from an allergic reaction. 
  • Posted

Sorry, but your doctor needs to get re educated on SSRI's.

It takes around 3-4 months before you start feeling any improvement, and you're having classic side effects at the moment, sweating included.  Yes it does get worse before it gets better.  After 15 years of severe depression and anxiety I recovered on these.  Have a read of the leaflet that comes with the meds, it'll list all symptoms expected, not that you'll experience all of them.

You need lots of patience, lots and lots ....... you need to wait, accept everything you go through however bad it gets, and just keep going.  It gets better.  4 weeks is way too early.

Even if you stop the medication, never, ever just go cold turkey as you'll be very ill.  These have to be weaned off very slowly over months.

Persevere - you'll get there xx

Oh ... get your doctor familiar with this site - she might learn a few things lol.

K x

• Posted

Thank you for that comment! You really have made me feel a bit relieved. I have told my doctor about this site and all she says is I shouldn't listen to people on here because they aren't reputable and not medically trained. I feel that this site is where is should be because everyone here has gone through what others are having problems with and you get REAL answers/ advice from people that have actually had issues with anxiety and not just read about it in a book! I really appreciate everyone on this site! You guys help out tremendously!
    • Posted

This site saved me. My side effect was so severe that both my doc and myself decided to give up CIT. Then I found this site and realize all of the side effects were normal. I continued the CIT and got better every day after week 6.
    • Posted

Excuse me whilst I cough, splutter and laugh at your doctors comment.  No, of course we're not medically trained, though I expect some are, but ..... the difference between your doctor and people on here is that we are real people with actual experience of this illness, of it's symptoms, experience from taking the medication too ..... unlike your doctor reading from a text book and having training.  Books and medical training vs actual life experience?  I know who I'd turn to.

You get more answers on here than you do from your own GP, though of course some doctors are fantastic.  For one thing it is hard getting an appointment, often having to wait 2 weeks, then when you get to see them you only get 10 minutes and often they seem uninterested.  Where else are people to turn to?

Most people who post here give support, share their experiences, and usually suggest people contact their own doctor.  

For your doctor to not even know that 4 weeks is no way long enough, just goes to show that she knows less than real 'lifers' on here.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now lol.

K x

• Posted

👏🏼 couldn't have said it better myself!
    • Posted

Yeah I'm with Kate on this one its a long term med 4 weeks your lucky if you have had all of any side effects sweating is common I still sweat after 12 weeks soooo you have a ways to go I wouldnt give up just yet take care wink
    • Posted

tcaro20... we (all commentors) have been there just look back over all the comments, I joined in Oct 2013 and i wouldnt be here now if it wasnt for reading these posts and persevering and i came out the other side. no one knows our illness like we  do, so stay strong, dont change till u have given it ur best shot, it does take time but its life saving, u are early doors as yet but still u have struggled for 4 weeks dont give up now, u will get there, stay strong... i promise it is wort it. 

Anne smile

• Posted

Thanks!!  Think we should all go march on tcaro's doctor lol cheesygrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.