Possible alternative to Citalopram

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello all! My doctor has just told me to stop taking cit. I have been on 20mg for almost 4 weeks with no sign of improvement, only worsening symptoms. The doctor said I shouldn't be sweating as much as I am so she thinks this medicine may not be for me. This makes me sad because I'm tired of dealing with this constant anxiety with no breaks! I feel if I stop the medicine now it may not have had time to get into my system and all the side effects will have been for nothing. I'm just ready for relief and feeling normal! She said she will try me on something else once I've come off these. Is there anyone that may have had the same issue and found a medication that works? Also, she didn't say if I should cut down the dose or just stop cold turkey. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi i wouldnt stop straight away, when i has a simular problem with cit, i had to take it for 3 more days leave 3 days then start venlafaxine. cit doesnt hang around that long in the system if you want to eke it out try 1 every other day for 6 days then a break of 3 then start new meds if you have some, all the best x

• Posted

hi  jayne again forgot to say i had been on cit for 4 months, sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
  • Posted

I have sweated since the day I started to take it, but frankly I'd rather that than the way I was feeling, I just felt it was a small price to pay.  Luckily it's only at night, so the sleep patterns aren't great, but like someone else said, we're all different but 4 weeks is definitely not long enough for it to really start working, so hang in there.  Best thing I did was agree to start taking it.  And like Kate said, if you DO stop, do it very very slowly.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.