Possible balanitis?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I've been browsing through this forum for a while and reading other peoples experiences and problems with rashes on the penis.

A couple months ago I stupidly decided to wash my glans with head and shoulders, because we had ran out of body wash. I'm assuming that I didn't rinse off properly because the following day my glans was a mess! Bright red and sore. I went to the walk in centre and they advised me to simply keep it clean with just water (which I have found out from this forum, is all you should ever use to clean your penis!!) and use some clotrimazole cream 2% for up to a month once the redness had gone down. I used that for a month and it seems to have had an effect, however the redness hasn't completely dissipated and the cream left me rather dry.

I decided to pop down to the doctors a few days ago, just to check if everything seemed okay, because the slow healing of this is worrying me. The doc had a look and said he could still see some redness around the front of the glans and the meatus, but no other signs of infection. He told me to pop some Sudocrem on the area and see him in two weeks if the redness doesn't make an improvement. He didn't want to do any urine tests and also said he couldn't take a swab of the area because there was no discharge. Overall he didn't seem to concerned at all.

Dr google has been stressing me out with Cancers and all sorts of awful stuff. I'm rather worried I may have done some permanent damage with the head and shoulders, since that stuff is very brutal.

Should I be worried at all, and if so can anyone suggest what I should ask the Doctor to test for or have a look at on my follow up visit, should I need one? The photos are in natural light, but with flash it can look a lot more red.

Hopefully I'm just being a hypochondriac and everything is fine, but I thought it would be a nice idea to sound off with some people who have had a similar experience.

Thanks!!!

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

that actually dont look that bad at all u should carry on with just washing with warm water

• Posted

Thanks for responding Kim!

It's reassuring that you don't think its very bad! 😊

I did forget to mention that I have been getting some slight aches on the glans. Could that be from using too much thrush cream/sudocrem?

• Posted

i think u should stop using it or use every few days it may subside creams start to have a negative effect if using them long term i think thrush cream is only supposed to be used for 7/10 days max continuous use of creams can also cause issues in the long run

• Posted

Thanks so much Kim, you've really reassured me. I was getting a lot of anxiety about it, even with the doctor being quite nonchalant about it. I'll take it easy with the creams and hope for the best!

• Posted

Little update after two days of no creams.

The glans washing with just water and making sure I gently dry it after showers.

Glans looks a lot smoother and the redness is much less pronounced. I am having a bit of dryness and slight itchiness, which I'm hoping isn't fungal and is simply the skin healing. I've been leaving the head exposed to air for a while after drying off from showering and that seems to help a lot too. Possibly because any moisture I may have missed gets dried off and doesn't get tucked away with the glans.

I'm guessing this could take a good while to completely heal up, but you live and learn, I guess!

• Posted

did you also experience an irritation feeling in the penis glans?

• Posted

For about a week or so after I'd burned it with the head and shoulders I had a fair bit of irritation and itching on the glans. The head and shoulders caused some pus too. It was pretty bad. I should have gone to the doctors then, but I was stupid.

The irritation and itching lessened a lot as the skin began to heal and it's barely existent now. That took aroubd

• Posted

*That took around a month of healing and thrush/canesten cream sort out the itching

• Posted

What i am confused about is if you had a contact irritation from head and shoulders, why would the doc recommend an anti fungal cream to make it better? Also confused about why it helped? You would think cortisone would be the advise?

• Posted

That's my fault, I should have explained it better in my first post. I didn't go to the walk in centre for a week or so. (stupid, I know!) By the time I went, I had noticed a faint fishy odor. They said that I had a candida infection as a result of the damage to the skin and told me to try out the cream.

• Posted

if yours not improved bro, the fishy odour is linked heavily to a trich infection

• Posted

The fishy odour completely disappeared after using the canesten cream and washing it with nothing but warm water. 😃

I went to the doctors again this past Thursday. The doc wasn't even sure what he was supposed to be looking for. didn't see any problem at all. It still looks a little red, but he saw nothing to be concerned about. I'm not so sure myself.

here's an updated picture or two. It is looking a lot better, but there's still slight redness.

• Posted

also, I will add that some days it seems redder than others. for example, if I don't get the opportunity to shower or I've masturbated. I haven't had the chance to shower today because of a pipe problem in my house, so it's looking irritated. It's stressful stuff, especially since two different doctors can't seem to see a problem, yet it doesn't seem right down there to me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.