Possible balanitis?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I've been browsing through this forum for a while and reading other peoples experiences and problems with rashes on the penis.

A couple months ago I stupidly decided to wash my glans with head and shoulders, because we had ran out of body wash. I'm assuming that I didn't rinse off properly because the following day my glans was a mess! Bright red and sore. I went to the walk in centre and they advised me to simply keep it clean with just water (which I have found out from this forum, is all you should ever use to clean your penis!!) and use some clotrimazole cream 2% for up to a month once the redness had gone down. I used that for a month and it seems to have had an effect, however the redness hasn't completely dissipated and the cream left me rather dry.

I decided to pop down to the doctors a few days ago, just to check if everything seemed okay, because the slow healing of this is worrying me. The doc had a look and said he could still see some redness around the front of the glans and the meatus, but no other signs of infection. He told me to pop some Sudocrem on the area and see him in two weeks if the redness doesn't make an improvement. He didn't want to do any urine tests and also said he couldn't take a swab of the area because there was no discharge. Overall he didn't seem to concerned at all.

Dr google has been stressing me out with Cancers and all sorts of awful stuff. I'm rather worried I may have done some permanent damage with the head and shoulders, since that stuff is very brutal.

Should I be worried at all, and if so can anyone suggest what I should ask the Doctor to test for or have a look at on my follow up visit, should I need one? The photos are in natural light, but with flash it can look a lot more red.

Hopefully I'm just being a hypochondriac and everything is fine, but I thought it would be a nice idea to sound off with some people who have had a similar experience.

Thanks!!!

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

yeah yours looks better than most on here . wanna swap ?

Do you have any prostate issues pal ? my prostate is swollen and has been for years but is worse with all this. And I am reading many many links on this site

• Posted

Haha! I think I'll pass on swapping! 😄

I don't have any prostate problems, as far as I'm aware anyway! It's been a almost week since my last post and the redness still remains. Some days it seems a lot better, others it looks red. I haven't been back to the GP as of yet, but I spoke to one of my friends who is a nurse and she told me that it can take a long time for penis skin to heal properly. Whether or not that is true, I'm not sure.

I'm beginning to think that there is a fine balance between the skin down there being too dry or not dry enough. That seems to have an effect on the redness. My girlfriend is with the doctors and says that she can't see a problem. She thinks it's psychosomatic.

• Posted

Hi everyone,

It's been about five months since I burned the skin off of my glans with head and shoulders and I wanted to get some opinions and thoughts about the situation.

The skin on my glans still has a faint redness. In the photos attached you can see the sort of border where the skin was affected by the head and shoulders. I've been back to the doctors a few times in these last 5 months and as I said before, the photos seem to make it look worse than in real life. So the doctors have said, yes we see some slight redness and that they don't see anything to be concerned about. One doctor said to try some canesten for four days and I told him that I had already used that before. He didn't seem bothered.

I haven't had any other symptoms other than the redness and dryness of the skin. no pains or aches or any discharge. I've seen on here that pure coconut oil helps with that, I picked some up the other day and have started using that. It's early days with the oil, but it seems to help with the dryness.

My question is, have I scarred my glans with the head and shoulders and will my glans stay like this forever? When I used the head and shoulders the burn was quite bad. There was some pus and really sore red skin, which I believe could constitute as a second degree burn.

I want to try and get a referral to a dermatologist, but the doctors seemed hesitant about that when I brought it up because they didn't see a major concern.

Any insights or thoughts on this are welcome and I'd greatly appreciate them. I feel like a massive idiot to this day about the whole fiasco and it really gets me down and puts worrying thoughts in my head about cancers and all sorts!

imageimage

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.