Possible cancer? I’m so scared

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi all.  Very sad at the moment and terrified.  I recently went for an MRI for gastritis, and the report found some hypointensity signal at the peripheral of my prostate.

went to a urologist immediately, and we did a rectal exam. Doctor said he couldn’t feel any lumps and prostate wasn’t enlarged ( also confirmed by MRI).  Did. PSA text, it came back at 0.33.  I am 42 years old.  The doctor however couldn’t explain away the MRI signal so I decided to get an MP MRI done.  Just got the results back, and was given a PI RADS score of 2.

im really worried ( I know score of 2 means cancer is unlikely) and even my Uro said he thinks less then 10% chance of cancer. But my other tests seem to come out normal, DRE , PSA but then wouldn’t I get a PI RADS of 1?

anyways decided to go get a prostate biopsy done against the recommendation of my doctor, he said if it was him, he wouldn’t do something invasive right now. But I’m so scared and worried, we can’t come up with any other explanation for my MRI.  

What do you all think?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The only way to know whether or not you have prostate cancer is by biospy of the tissue. Remember, good chance you have nothing and if you do it sounds like low grade. There are 29 different treatment options and just keep up with your checkups and get a blood test completed in genomic testing. Cover all angles and always get second opinion.

Good luck and god bless.

• Posted

Ok thanks everyone for the replies.  I wanted to add what my MRI report says:

"MRI Findings

The prostate gland is normal in size, measuring 3.68 x 2.8 x 3.77 cm (TS x AP x CC) with a calculated volume of 20.3 cc.

Wedge shape T2 hypointensities are noted in bilateral postero-medial peripheral zones at mid-gland and at the postereomedial and posterolateral peripheral zone of left apex. These have indistinct hypointense signals in ADC and do not exhibit early arterial enhancement on dynamic contrast study. Findings are of low suspicion. PI-RADS 2 (clinically significant cancer is unlikely to be present).

The  neurovascular bundles at both sides appear symmetrical. Seminal vesicles are normal and symmetrical. The rectoprostatic angles at both sides are not obliterated and the anorectum canal is normal.

No definite pelvic nodal enlargement seen.

No discernable signal change seen in visualized pubic bones."

And in the comments section it says:

"Wedge shape T2 hypointensities in bilateral postero-medial peripheral zones at mid-gland and at the posteromedial and posterolateral peripheral zones of the left apex. These have indistinct hypointense signals on ADC and do not exhibit early arterial enhancement on dynamic contrast study. Findings are of low suspicion , PIRADS 2 (clinically significant cancer is unlikely to be present). However microscopic disease cannot be excluded. Biopsy is recommended if it is clinically inidicated."

So I'm not really sure what all that means, but it doesnt seem too bad??

• Posted

Basically it means just get on with your life and stop worrying. Far more danger crossing the road and driving!

Good luck, Richard

• Posted

I know how scary the words prostate cancer can be.  It really does not look like your stats are that bad.  Even though rectal exams do not always detect tumors, (nine didn't but I did have one) your other test all came back looking pretty good.  Maybe you should find out if there could be something else causing your hypointensity signal.  No need to worry if there is nothing to worry about.  You really don't want to get a biopsy if you don't really need one.  I would trust your doctor on this one.

• Posted

Ok got biopsy results back. No cancer was found but they did find atypical small acinar proliferation (ASAP).  From what I’m reading it basically means I have a 40-50% chance on a re-biopsy to find cancer.  

Sigh, now what?

• Posted

I suggest that you relax and just get on with enjoying your life and stop worrying but keep up having psa tests at regular intervals.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Relax and just continue your PSA tests and send off sample for Genome testing. 

Remember right now you DO NOT HAVE CANCER. Relax and continue forward with all analytics so you CYA. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.