Possible chirrosis?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Im 24 ive been binge drinking for about two years and a half years , drink about 2-3 days a week about 8 beers each time. Before that i drank once a month probably a couple shots since i was 18. Im scared i may have chirrosis even though i do not have any symptoms. I went to the doctor about 8 months ago and my doc did routine blood test and had told me my liver is in the normal range, i told her about my increase in drinking and she told me i should definitely cut back but she never talked anymore about it. Ive stopped drinking recently. I just wanna know what are your guys thoughts, do you think theres a good chance i have chrissos? I do have heart palpitations and i get itchy skin, but I usually get the itchy skin if i drank too much and peed the bed.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If you've had routine bloodwork such as AST and ALT and bilirubin counts done with your blood work and they all came back normal, then no I would not worry. If you had any liver issues the blood tests would pick them up. However, if you're binge drinking that much to the point that your wetting the bed and truly concerned that at your young age that you may have liver cirrhosis? I would seek treatment if you cannot cut back on your own.

• Posted

I dont know if the bed wetting is from drinking alot of alcohol, cause usually after a night of drinking i chug alot of water. So idk if its just that my bladder is full but since i have alcohol in my system i stay asleep instead of waking up to use the bathroom.

And do not think the test she did looked at all that. It was a routine yearly physical, so she took routine blood work so idk if they would test for that. I plan on going to the doctor in a month, since i have no other symptoms other than palpitations and itchy skin and anxiety. Is there any test i should ask for specifically that can give me a good understanding on my livers overall health.

• Posted

Basic liver function test are included in your yearly physical bloodwork. I had a yearly physical and that's how they picked up my elevated bilirubin level. Just ask her if it tested liver function. I'm pretty sure that the basic liver function test are standard for all yearly bloodwork but it would put your mind at ease.

After extensive bloodwork, a colonoscopy and an endoscopy an ultrasounds and x-rays they determined my bilirubin elevation was due to Gilberts syndrome. So, even if some of your bloodwork were slightly elevated it's not always due to a sinister reason

• Posted

But do you think that my liver wouldve changed in 8 months with the way i was drinking?
    • Posted

"If you've had routine bloodwork such as AST and ALT and bilirubin counts done with your blood work and they all came back normal, then no I would not worry. If you had any liver issues the blood tests would pick them up."

That isn't actually correct. Blood tests may indicate a problem, they may show as being normal/okay even when there is liver damage.

I have cirrhosis, but my extensive blood tests come back normal. But that is because I don't drink now, so my tests come back good. But all my ultrasound scans, gastroscopy and other internal checks will show you the real situation.

• Posted

You're too young, not been drinking long enough and not regularly enough to have cirrhosis. Blood tests do not show cirrhosis.

Wetting the bed will be more about bladder control or psychological, not to do with your liver. Keep to beer, keep to weekend nights drinking, that's a sensible lifestyle.

• Posted

I have found my lab test from 8 months ago, my bilburin total was 0.5, and my ast is 21 and my alt is 24
    • Posted

That is within range of a normal reading. If your doctor doesn't seem concerned and unless you're in physical pain, I think you're worried over nothing

• Posted

Yeah i think i have really bad anxiety but i will continue to not drink for months until i return to doing it just socially and only 3-4 drinks at a time. Drinking isnt worth all the trouble it comes with. Thanks for the help and the advice.
    • Posted

So glad that you're realizing that now instead of many years down the road. Drinking can be fun but only if you control it and it doesn't control you. Best of luck!

• Posted

I have no a symptom that has arrised lately ive been noticing the smell of pee when ever im sweating at first i didnt think anything of it. But now with my right side with some discomfort feeling and this increased in anxiety along with the heart palps, do you think it could be ammonia toxicity?
    • Posted

Highly, highly doubtful. If I were you, I would make another appointment with your doctor and just go over some of your fears and questions At least they would be able to answer your questions properly and send you for further testing if need be. I've been where you are 1 million times and sat and Googled and think the worst and come up with more questions than answers and the only thing that helps me is to just go talk to my doctor

• Posted

Lactulose would remove ammonia from your system, if you want to check.
  • Posted

Yeah ive got an appointment this friday for the doctor but im scared my liver has this heavy feeling and my heart has been racing non stop
    • Posted

I understand your anxiety but trust me, it's nothing serious. If it were, your bloods would have reflected an issue for further testing. Try to occupy yourself and stay off the Internet as much as possible until your doctors appointment. Please keep us updated!

• Posted

Oh gotcha. Well, look at it this way, if it were liver cirrhosis (which I can tell you it isn't) then that is not terminal in and of itself necessarily. That takes such a prolonged use of alcohol to create and there are many, many alcoholics who in fact never develop liver cirrhosis. So, I just know whatever the outcome it can be remedied rather easily at this stage in your life. I'm still saying though, you will be just fine LOL

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.