Possible gerd getting worse

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been experiencing symptoms for around seven weeks now I've got a severe cough which is the main symptom cough is on and off constant all day a bit of air catches it or I've rushed around at times I bring up dark coloured phlem like dark yellow also cough to the point of dry heaving and have throat spasms where I can't speak etc whilst it's going on I get horse voice regularly and recently lack of appetite I've been to the gp three times about this and have been given lansaprazole one in the morning and now gaviscon type liquid after meals and bedtime however I still have these problems has anyone else been through anything like this I'm not sleeping well either

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes i have had this for 8 years and now it's slashed into my lungs and give me Emphysema. the phlegm is what your body produces to protect itself from the acid. 

• Posted

Cough was my worst symptom. One of the most commonly reported symptoms of extra-oesophageal reflux (by 58% of refluxers) .

Acid suppressants will reduce the acid but not the reflux which has to be managed by lifestyle or surgery.

See the section on Reflux in the free book / website www DownWithAcid org uk

• Posted

Hi Barrets, you seem to know your stuff! Can I get your view....I've been on omeprazole 20mg, and more recently (a week) 40mg for 2 months for grade a Oesopegitis. I've addressed lifestyle changes....what I am wondering is how long should I leave it before heading back to the GP and raising the spectre of refractive reflux?

• Posted

The omeprazole should allow your oesophagitis to quieten down but can take a few weeks.

If you get other reflux symptoms (eg cough etc) go back to discuss it with your doctor. (See the symptoms list as attached meme. )

Acid suppressants may be great at reducing acid but don't control the reflux - though your doctor may not be able to do much. Reflux control is mainly down to lifestyle choices. If it's really acute, fundoplication surgery is an option that can be discussed. See the NICE Option Grid image attached or download a copy from the appendix of www DownWithAcid org uk. Also available on this site here: https://patient.info/decision-aids/heartburn-treatment-options

• Posted

Thanks! Cough was my start point, though that seems to be gradually improving. I think I am coming to realise this will be a long slog - I am just surprised how long - and I suspect I am going to have to take my diet changes even more seriously (I had a good diet with occasionally too many sweets previously -but am slim and active so I don't think weight and a terrible diet were the source.....just a naff sphincter!).

Out of interest.....How long did you do Meds before you started seriously considering surgery? I'm 37 hrs old and I am not really up for taking 40mg of omz. A day along with ranitidine for the rest of my life!

• Posted

I was on PPIs for about 15 years.

I'd never heard of them before. I just took ordinary antacids (rather ineffectively) until the kidney stone they created sent me to my GP.

I was offered open surgery but declined as too scared. GP put me on the recently introduced omeprazole and it was wonderful. Over the 15 years, it was gradually increased to 80mg a day as, although the heartburn had gone, the other reflux symptoms were getting worse. Of course the PPIs didn't help. It was from desperatin  requested the operation 9 years ago. Best thing I ever did.

• Posted

Hi, Richie, i have some of your symptoms. Air hunger and sleeping problems. And i must constantly clean my throat. I found out i am clearing it due to my esophagus, not throat, so i will have endoscopy soon to see the damage of esophagus.

I either cant fall asleep because i feel like i cant get enough air, or i am waking in the middle of the night, feeling a lump, globus sensation in my neck/throat.

It seems like you suffer from acid problem, a gerd, yes.

• Posted

Hi guys thanks for replies yes in the night I wake gasping for breath and choking and at times bring up gunk I woke up about seven times with this last night and all through the day
    • Posted

You need to be carefull it can splash in your lungs then you will get what i have, tell your doctor your worried about it damaging your lungs.
    • Posted

I can only pray for you and hope no serious damage of lungs is made.

I would strongly advice you to buy yourself a wedge pillow. 

You can purchase it on internet, just type wedge pillow for acid reflux. 

Using it, it will prevent content of stomach during night leaking upside to your esophagus or lungs. 

I still have to buy it for myself too. 

• Posted

You bought yourself a wedge pillow for acid reflux?
    • Posted

Never herd of one, but i sleep on the sofa have done for 8 yearsm which seems to really help for some reason.
    • Posted

Thanks mate will give it a go been to doctors today was sent for bloods and chest x Ray should get results Monday also been given ranitidine to take twice a day anyone else find this helps?
    • Posted

I have three pillows and have raised the bed 6" on blocks of wood.

I don't feel burning at night.  I have reflux esoph and hh.

• Posted

Hi, I have hh and reflux esoph, my doc put me on Zantac am and pm and I take mastic gum, I dont have a cough but if I get one what could the doc do anyway?  Any feedback appreciated.  Am I just going to have to wait for the cough and aspiration to start or can I do something to avoid it?
    • Posted

Do all you can to reduce reflux. Acid suppressants (H2 blockers like Zantac or PPIs like omeprazole) are good at making reflux less dangerous but bad at reducing reflux itself.

These are the lifestyle tips to reduce reflux:

Lose weight if necessary.

Do not overfill your stomach - eat little and often: 5 or 6 half sized meals spread through the day is better than 2 or 3 large meals.

Avoid any exercise after a meal that will shake, tilt or compress your stomach. Walking is good, though, as it will help the stomach empty properly.

Avoid tight clothing.

Leave at least 3 hours after food before going to bed to give your stomach time to empty.

Raise the bed head by 6 to 8 inches.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.