Possible heart failure??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Over last year or so I've noticed my heart has become quite loud beating can hear most of the time beating at rest along with a few palpations I've had them for years but 2 months ago I had a bad episode where my heart was irregular for bout 7 seconabout. ating very fast also I noticed I developed bilateral pitting odema in my legs and now it's mildly in my ankles no shortness of breath but do feel groggy don't know if that's cause I think I've got heart failure I don't know I've 2 ecgs and blood test my doctor said my heart is normal don't think he's right cause I'm 27 he's just brushing me off even though my bp is sometimes high and I have obstructive sleep apnea feels like I have accept this I've been doctors 3 times in last 2 months they think im just messing about

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If you can afford it get a chest x-ray and then echocardiogram done, your GP would be able to arrange this for you, if you do have heart failure of any kind it would show up on the x-ray as enlarged heart, and the echo would show exactly how bad, but would be unusual at your age.

Are you within a normal weight range, and do you exercise, walk, blood will pool in your ankles if you are desk bound or not moving around very much.

How do I know this, my husband has heart failure due to enlarged heart, exactly dialated cardiomyopathy of left ventricle.

His condition came back cause unknown, after many tests incl angiogram or dye passed through heart to see if there were blockages in the arteries causing problems, there were not, and he was very active carpenter going to work every day up until 2 days before he collapsed on a Sunday afternoon at home.

He was breathless though in the days previous, and thought maybe a virus of some kind, but never really developed into even a cold, he also does not suffer from swollen ankles  even when he has been on the point of being in real trouble with congestive heart failure, or fluid in lungs due to not being able to exchange oxygen/carbon dioxide, because of heart not circulating enough blood through his lungs.

he has had this condition for 7 years now, and has followed exactly what the Dr's have advised and his heart and health have improved, cut out salt, beer, lost weight, and walked every day, the first few days out of hospital only about 20 steps, but added 5-10 steps to that every 5-7 days, by 18 months he was walking 3 1/2 miles a day. 

Dr's are amazed he has done so well, they said you must have applied everything we said, yes, and added to that, Dr's have said so few do as we say, but if they did they would live longer.

• Posted

No unfortunately I'm not in normal weight range I'm probably 5 or 6 stone heavier than I should be im not that active I work 3 days a week which then im very active moving heavy stuff around and also I live in UK where the NHS are snowed under seeing a cardiologist is a long wait probably a few months.

• Posted

Same here in Australia, about the same as your NHS,  long long waiting lists, and you need a referral from your GP.

In husbands case GP said ECG was normal, so I said we would pay for private consultation, even then he said that's going to be expensive, yes, give me the fffing, referral, he wrote a letter to cardio group that says wife insists, notes heartbeat rate and blood pressure normal range.

Cardio's first words are why are you here, I showed her my copy of ECG, and she took one look, picked up her phone and said to the clinic down the corridor I want an immediate echocardiogram, which diagnosed the dialated cardiomyopathy, she also showed me what she saw on the ECG that the local Dr had missed.

Enough of that, you must get your weight down, join a weight group, we have, ours is a group where you pay a small amount each week at the weigh in, all run in the community by the members, lots of fun, exercise groups, walking, all on facebook, so we stay in touch and motivate each other, there must be a weight group even near you.

You will not be able to have an MRI if you are over 100kg, or 220lbs, you just cannot fit the slot in the machine, husband was warned about this when he started to put on some weight, and also from an ex-smoker my husband, give it up, not doing you any good, the first six weeks are a nightmare, but it can be done, also if you think you have a heart condition you need to give up the wasted calories, beer, alcohol, again not easy, husband has only a half glass of beer now about once a month, from being a 2 - 3 large bottles a night.

• Posted

Thanks for help really appreciate it and your right I need stop the bad things I don't really eat rubbish just probably the beer that has put my weight on and I'm a bit higher than 100kg so id struggle lol private health is expensive over here too probably a lot more than I could afford im just going having to get my gp to do a referral before its get too late... I also make my self feel worse cause it's all I think about pretty much unless I have a few beers then I feel normal but that's not the way to do it i know.

• Posted

Sounds as though you are suffering from some anxiety, look up on the internet, exercise does help with anxiety, I do not fully understand why, but it does work. 

Now I'm saying that, but you must not go crazy and try to walk for miles when you are not used to it, start off around your block or even half the block, walk so you are not puffing too much, you should be able to keep up a normal conversation with someone, if you can't you are walking too fast, and do it nice and early while its hot in England, we have even had reporting here in Aust on just how hot it has been, poor you when you are not used to it.

Husband developed anxiety after his episode with this heart, he takes passionflower, a herbal help when his anxiety is at its worst, I notice the difference, just seems to take the edge off the round and round in his head.

We also went to a counsellor after his diagnoses, for a few weeks, she explained why the anxiety, how your brain processes information, and what to do to break the cycle, even a rubber band on the wrist that you pull and snap ouch, just to break the round and round thought processes.

Do you understand the flight or flight and why at the most basic part of our brain we have it, its a very ancient survival thought, not even a conscious thought, its below our conscious in the reptilian part of our brain, and it always fires up the fear before your conscious part of your brain has a chance to respond, imagine a sabre tooth tiger at the entrance to the cave you live in, you have to make a instant decision do you run for your life or do you pick up your spear and fight for your life, andrelian surges through you bloodstream, makes your ability to run or fight, you even see it in animals, that's how ancient it is, birds hunker down and or mum acts as though she has a broken wing to distract you from harming her baby, sorry about spelling errors.

• Posted

It's ok don't worry about spelling lol im just about head to bed as its late here and yes I do have anxiety but just with leg swelling and ankle got me concerned has they are main symptoms in heart failure and a lot of other problems also and yes it's the hottest summer in 42 years here which I did think might be cause of swelling which when overweight due very hot weather which as you say we don't get hot weather like this it's now pretty cooler compared to couple weeks ago but I'm still going get a referral to a cardiologist so I can see what is going on and just again thanks for help its nice to talk to people who understand unlike doctors who just laugh you out the room.

• Posted

Are you on any medications?
    • Posted

Yes I have two different doctors have seen them they just said there's no extra fluid but Cleary there is a dent for about 20 to 30 seconds and a nurse who did my ecg said it's probably cause I'm a bit overweight but don't understand why I would get edema unless there is a underlying condition my bloods said normal organ function don't know if it can pick up heart function or not?

• Posted

Were you given a d-dimer blood test for possible clots? Do you sometimes have trouble taking in a deep breath? Any chest pains?
    • Posted

I'm actually not sure what they looked for in the blood test and not really no don't get any shortness of breath unless I'm been quite active like at work also get a bit dizzy but I am quite anxious I've had palpitations for years never bothered me until I discovered edema in my legs so since then all I think about is my heart 24/7

• Posted

Do you smoke or drink a lot?
    • Posted

Unfortunately I do smoke and drink yes I've bin drinking heavy for about 2 or 3 years I don't smoke alot bout 15 fags a day I know it's better to smoke none but wish I could pack up

• Posted

Could you try and cut down both? have you tried vaping? Also if you give up alcohol, you will lose so much weight, which is really important for your heart. I gave up drinking when I was really ill and I ended up losing 1 and a half stone in the space of 4 months.

Do you have diabetes or have you been tested? Also have you had your blood pressure tested?

• Posted

Yes I'm now cutting down on alcohol by at least 30 units a week and I have ordered a new vape set yesterday so hopefully I can get of the cigarettes and my blood pressure varies to be honest on average its around 130 or 140 over 80 to 90 this time last year it was 107 over 77 and no I was tested for diabetes but not got it

• Posted

So you are doing everything you can do, but if you feel something is wrong go to a&e because you can’t be too careful. Unfortunately we live in the UK and the health service here isn’t great. I went to a&e with my PEs and they told me I had anxiety and musculoskeletal pain!  I had to get a private CT scan before I was diagnosed. If you really believe something is wrong with your heart, sometimes you have to pay for it. Get an echocardiogram. If you cut down on cigarettes and booze, it is unbelievable how much money you will save. Much better spent on something to help you or put your mind at rest, than something that is detrimental to your health.

• Posted

Yes exactly NHS are rammed it's hard get anything tested properly due to long waits I'm not in a position to pay for private health if I was id pay but not got the money im going see if anything improves if not I'm going demand to my gp I need see a cardiologist if have too il go to a&e tell them my gp isn't taking me seriously.... So what were you diagnosed with and how well are you doing?

• Posted

I have multiple pulmonary emboli. It started with crushing chest pain and palpitations so I thought it was my heart but all the tests came back clear. I had a 24 hour ecg thing and an echocardiogram, I had to change GPs to get that in the first place. All that told me was I had an irregular heartbeat but nothing out of the ordinary. They gave me beta blockers for the palpitations and non steroidals for the pain, but my symptoms carried on and my breathing started to be affected and I had a gravelly type cough. I thought it was allergies and just left it. I eventually went back to the GP who told me it was my hormones because I have an imbalance but I got a chest X-ray eventually and it came back clear. I went to a&e when I was really unwell and they gave me another chest X-ray, ecg, put a pulse oximeter on my finger and blood tests, they were all normal so they sent me home. So I just got a CT privately, maybe if I was a more pushy person I could have a CT on the NHS, but when I am really unwell I just don’t want to argue. I have been on blood thinners now for almost 6 months, it is a very slow recovery and my hormones affect the symptoms when they change. I just wish they had given me a D-dimer when I first had symptoms because I wouldn’t have had so much pain for so long and there wouldn’t have been so many clots. 

If you aren’t on them already, I would recommend beta blockers for when you get palpitations because it can be really scary if they don’t slow down and they will protect your heart and bring down you blood pressure a bit. Go on a low dose though because they can make you a bit dizzy.

• Posted

Sounds like you have had a bad time it's a shame the NHS failed you we shouldn't have go private but maybe in today's UK we have too I have spoke to a cardiologist from York today he has told me a private echo will cost me around £200 which is a chunk of money but I think if I can't see a NHS cardiologist in the next 2 or 3 weeks im going have pay it cause I definitely don't feel right whether my anxiety is making it worse or vice versa my heart beat is very powerful my neck is sometimes beating which is a bounding pulse I believe thanks for help really appreciate you taking your time to answer me.

• Posted

If you have asked for an echocardiogram on the NHS and they say no and you pay for one and there is a problem, you probably could get the money back. I was told by a doctor at my hospital when I came back to A&E after my diagnosis, that he really thought if I went to some department and wrote a letter explaining everything I could probably get my money back because they failed to diagnose it and I could have died if I took their advice. 

In the meantime, cut down on caffeine and sugar because they can have a big affect on your heart as well. Good luck with everything, would you mind posting an update when you find out what is wrong?

• Posted

Yes absolutely hoping it's going be not too bad of news but I'm ringing my gp tomorrow book in for this week if I can but be a big ask as there always full up and on the private echo ive found a private hospital by me they can fit me in with in 2 days for a echo so if the NHS mess be about il be booking up with asap probably with in the next 2 weeks hoping my gp can arrange one though and just to ask if I pay private will they send the result to my gp or do I have back to the private hospital?

• Posted

With my CT they told me immediately because of the clots and I needed to be on blood thinners. It will be a nurse that does the test, I am sure if there is a problem you will be told immediately. Just ask them when they have finished. They will take all the details of your GP at the beginning and send the results after.
    • Posted

Ok thanks for that I will update on any info or diagnosis as soon as I know hopefully not the worst news I've ever had thank you for help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.