Possible Nerve Damage

Posted , 12 users are following.

I'm 10 weeks post op TKR, have had 24 physical therapy sessions, a 127 bend, leg extention is not good and still no quad response.  Therapist said they can't do any more for me to get response from quads. Had surgeon appt. today (he did not cut into any of my muscles during surgery) said he's only had one other patient with symtoms like mine and it could be nerve damage from the tourniquet, I go back in a few weeks and may have to have a nerve test done.  Keeping my fingers crossed my quads are just extremley slow in recovering. 

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry your having a tough time, PattyLee.  I know what a tourniquet is by how/why is it used in knee surgery?  

Hope your problem is solved very soon.

• Posted

Margaret, The tourniquet is applied to your upper thigh during surgery to keep blood from flowing into the knee area.
    • Posted

They use tourniquet to keep the operative area clear of blood while operating to allow them to see what they are doing.
  • Posted

Mine didnt kick in until 13 weeks after I did 2 full weeks of hourly exercises just for quads at home and now they are amazing. Just need to bulk them up. The exercise I did was brace down as far as I could with knee over the gap between the footstool and chair and lift leg straight. Also just kept bracing knee backwards even when standing making tea or whatever. Sometimes put rolled up towel under calf and braced. Suddenly my quads jumped - but even now it takes abot 10 braces to get them going and then I do about 50 until they are tired and stop working again. Good luck.
  • Posted

127 bend at 10 weeks is certainly better than I was PattyLee it is not all bad. I had TKR 3 years ago. My extension was always quite good it was the bend I really struggled with.

Hope they are able to sort this out.

Take care and keep in touch

Praying for you

Love Sarah xxx

• Posted

I sure don't want to have the nerve test, I heard it's some what painful,

T/Y for the prays Sarah 

Patty

• Posted

Patty your lucky in a way we have no physio offered after our op im 11 weeks I havent a clue what my bends or anything are??? im not driving yet and heaven nos when il get back to work???? My cons didnt measure anything he just asked me to bend my leg then flex it said well done il see you in 10 months? ??? My quad muscle's have nearly dissappeared in fact I showed my son my leg tonight and he nearly weed laughing I swear to god a cocktail stick is thicker???? So I just keep on doing what im doing and hope for the best!!!! Rubbish really but hey ho!!!!
    • Posted

No therapy??  I went to an in-patient rehab for a week after my surgery, can't imagine not having therapy and doing this on my own.   Are you doing any exercises on your own?  I've just started riding my bike, my Dr said that's better for the quads then walking.  Bless us all!!
    • Posted

my ex has just kindly lent me a static bike. I tried yest and couldn't do a full rotation of the peddles my knee was sooooo stiff . Eventually I managed to get going but I could only do 5 turns lol I was wacked!!!! Guess I wont be wearing shorts if the sun ever comes out lol.
    • Posted

My therapist were surprised that I had no problem doing full rotations on the static bike with no problem.
    • Posted

Andrea, I downloaded an app to my phone to measure my extension and flexion called Goniometer Records (Orthopedic Research). It is free and easy to use and seems reasonably accurate.
    • Posted

Persevere with the bike.  It will happen & find it the best exercise there is.

Make sure the seat is higher than you would normally have it. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks Sandra I think my partner did that but il check??
    • Posted

With the static bike push until you hit that OMG feeling count to ten and then go back to the start it takes a while a lot of #%^+++*%# but if I can do it - and I am the biggest wuss I know - then anyone if us gorgeous people can !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.